Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By MpcBoomBap Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 pm
What's the difference between the Ren and Studio besides the huge price difference, input, and outputs?

Any Ren users can shine some light on this I would appreciate it.
By Lampdog Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:37 pm
Just looking at the hardware, some differences are evident right off the bat.
By forwerd Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:04 pm
MpcBoomBap wrote:What's the difference between the Ren and Studio besides the huge price difference, input, and outputs?

Any Ren users can shine some light on this I would appreciate it.

From what I can tell about the Studio it seems the other differences are portability, way fewer Qlinks, no tilt screen, no need for AC cord.I'm not sure but it seems like there may be fewer dedicated buttons for particular tasks.
By TheUnfuckwithable Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Tha_Skywalker wrote:how accurate is the vintage mode?

doesn´t sound like the real deal. every freeware plug-in will do better!

i was running a poll lately and the result of the blind test was that the majority of people prefer the jjos bit crusher and the real mpc60 sound!
By Blue Haze Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 am
My two cents that Ren is just that a emulation like every other virtual synth, sampler, drum machine and etc on the market. For the purist hardware will always be the best; however, software is so advanced now that the two can be close in quality.

The real question should be do you want to make music with a hardware based studio or not? Hardware will be an substantial investment in cash, looking for vintage equipment, making room for it in your lab, wiring up all the routing to a decent sized board, and working with the limitations of the equipment era design unless you are willing to do modifications to bring it up to par; but, the trade off is that you get the sound you want.

Now software is the alternative to all of this. But at the end of the day ask yourself will your audience care or be able to tell what and how you made your music? What counts is whether the audience likes your music or not.

Everything else is based on needs it the 60 emulation is 100% or not is subjective to each person.

Good engineering can go a long way also.
By sparq Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:00 pm
Blue Haze wrote:Good engineering can go a long way also.

:nod: +100
By m56p87 Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:52 pm
I'm kind of suprised at the scrutiny over the vintage mode, I feel I knew from the get go that it wouldn't be as good as an mpc60 and Id be ok with that. If you want a 60 buy a 60. if you want a new machine with current features etc like a daw, with the possibility to add some old school flavor get a Ren. :smoker:

Or just buy a Ren, keep it on a shelf for 20 years and bust it out when it's native sound is considered vintage & crunchy. :lol: