Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By msevans Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:50 pm
Just picked up Ren and new to MPC workflow. I am trying to set up different tracks with different bar lengths but do not seem to be able to do it - am i missing something I guess I could copy and paste to make them all the length of the longest loop but is there not an easier way?

Cheers
By DJ Hellfire Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:33 pm
msevans wrote:Just picked up Ren and new to MPC workflow. I am trying to set up different tracks with different bar lengths but do not seem to be able to do it - am i missing something I guess I could copy and paste to make them all the length of the longest loop but is there not an easier way?

Cheers

Nope! Can't do it! Track lengths all follow the sequence length.
By Clint Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:55 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote: Track lengths all follow the sequence length.

Yup.

Standard MPC workflow since 1988, if you cant get used to it use a full DAW program for jobs it does better. Legacy MPC users are used to pattern-based recording methods, but it could seem a bit odd to an MPC newbie.
By daftmunk Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:46 pm
actually there are hardware pattern sequencers out there that allow different track lengths (triton, octatrack) it's really useful if you wanna make let's say a 2bar bassline, 4 bar beat, 8 bar melody on the quick instead of copying bars around like it's 88.. don't get me wrong i'm all about the legacy, rocking the 60/1200 combo daily but i also think at some point these new products should embrace such workflow enhancement like individual track lengths..
By ceasi Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:41 pm
^^^ then it wouldnt be an mpc, thats why i dnt think if youve never owned an mpc, the ren isint for u. People sayin they want it to do all the stuff tht all the newer stuff does, but the reason the ren exists is for those who liked what there old mpc did, without all the new technoligical advances, but instead everything is on ur computer now (pref a MAC). I think an mpc should be an mpc, nothing more nothing less.
By Clint Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:59 pm
Does anyone actually know what Renaissance means, as opposed to revolution?

I think its unfair that some people expect every aspect of the MPC Renaissance to be new and improved. While it aims to introduce a new software driven workflow, the fundamentals remain firmly rooted to the original MPC concept and design. Without such things the MPC identity would be consigned to history.

I'm sure this battle between traditionalists and new jacks will continue for some time to come.
By crossings Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:59 pm
as i just mentioned in another thread the other day... there are ways to accomplish this on an MPC with JJOS using the Simultaneous Sequence feature (the SS that appears under the sequence playing in the main screen)... so you can separate your tracks onto 2 different sequences, give each sequence a different length, and then use the SS to have them both playing at the same time... you could even have a 3bar loop sequence playing on top of a 4bar drum sequence or whatever... it's good stuff. limited to 2 sequences at a time, but still a huge step ahead compared to the regular akai OS.
By daftmunk Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:32 pm
i'm far from a new jack.. you clint of all people should realize this.. that being said i find it utterly silly to refuse certain enhancements such as individual track length. having that option wouldn't change any of the functionality if you chose simply to ignore the function. renaissance is all about being hybrid and embracing that flexibility. listening to you people, they should eliminate waveform edit in favor of the old number truncate system, dump usb for floppy disk support... hell maybe you should revert 3.1 on your 60 in favor of 2.0?! seriously i can assure you individual track length would in no way compromise the essence of the "MPC identity" ...
By Clint Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:31 pm
daftmunk wrote:i'm far from a new jack.. you clint of all people should realize this...

My comments were not aimed at you or any other individual. I was simply suggesting that here are two schools of thought on how the MPC should move forward. There are those who want the Ren to do everything Logic, Cubase, Pro Tools, Ableton, Maschine etc can do, and there are those who just want an acceptable degree of computer integration. MPC is now a controller, after all. Personally I don't need an MPC to be a jack of all trades, and master of none. I'm happy with the hardware, limitations and reliability.
By daftmunk Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:12 pm
fair enough i do agree you gotta draw the line somewhere...fwiw i'm a hardware dude, i hate most daw's and linear sequencing, that being said i try and keep an open mind when it comes to certain features & workflow enhancements especially on a product such as this and i do not see individual track length as something that would in any way change the traditional MPC experience. maybe it's because i've experienced this feature on other pattern sequencers. basically all it changes is instead of copying bars on certain tracks you just set your bar length individually like track 1 = 2 bars, track 2 = 4 bars, track 3 = 8 etc... if left at default it would just behave as your regular MPC with a master length on sequence level. however once you've experienced the flexibility of this option, it's hard to deny it's advantages. anyways just some food for thought, knowing nukai they'll play it safe and not include it. not a big deal, there are more pressing matters to attend anyways..
By JAH Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:19 am
crossings wrote:limited to 2 sequences at a time, but still a huge step ahead compared to the regular akai OS.

MPCs going back to the early 90's have had SIMUL sequences....
By tapedeck Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:18 pm
daftmunk wrote:listening to you people, they should eliminate waveform edit in favor of the old number truncate system...

humorously enough that is exactly what they originally did for the ren, until the forum shouted 'are you f*ing joking?' :mrgreen:
By DJ Hellfire Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:32 am
JAH wrote:
crossings wrote:limited to 2 sequences at a time, but still a huge step ahead compared to the regular akai OS.

Must be the pre-2000 MPC's. Don't have this feature in the XL or the 2000 Classic.
By JAH Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:13 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:
JAH wrote:

Must be the pre-2000 MPC's. Don't have this feature in the XL or the 2000 Classic.

The MPC 3000 has it....as does the MPC 4000.

Edit - the MPC 60 has it as well.