Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By comtox Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:11 am
I try to perform two ore more program directly using Cubase sequencer and entering notes with the MPC Pads.
I only succeed to control a unique program even on different Midi Channel.
I only succeed to enter notes with my Midi Keyboard, MPC Pads does't transmit Midi to cubase.

The Setup : Midi Track 1 , Midi In : All midi inputs, Midi Out : MPC plugin.

Now, Settings I´ve tried :

1- Midi In : MPC vsti, Midi Out : MPC vsti, Result in a tiny Shortcircuit, CPU Looping as Midi Notes...

2- Midi In : MPC vsti , Out : MPC public. -> No Midi Data reaching Cubase... Or just in case i Set a MIDI Program on the REN, ie: MpcTrack 1 Midi Chan A1 send notes to cubase on chan1.

Then, my question, Is it possible to control, record a track in Cubase performing on the Ren´s pads and playing Program on the Ren as it is recorded in Cubase Midi Track ? Using the Ren as a controller and an external instrument at the same time ?

And additionally , How to map Start, Play, Stop, Rec, JOG dial Etc... from the Ren to triggers Cubase's Transport control ?

Thx for helping :)
By Airyck Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:21 pm
First off the Ren was not designed to control other software, it's really only for controlling the MPC software.

That said, someone said the Renaissance sends MIDI note data when the MPC software is not running but the Ren is plugged in.

You could use something like MIDI OX to monitor that data and see what it's outputing then setup custom controls in Cubase to have those things control what you want.

This is not an ideal piece of equipment for what you're trying to use it for.
Maybe wait a while until an update comes out that allows better integration with a DAW, or do what I said above.

Cheers,

~Airyck~
By comtox Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:09 pm
Thanks for answers :)

Is it possible to send MMC from MPC Soft to Cubase ( Like running Cubase as Slave ^^ Funny ).

I really try to make this tool a real Midi, Audio, VSTi multipist with a MPC as control.

Maybe this controller will change all the way I work, directly mixing, tracking. But i don't want another StepByStep softwares setup.
The VSTi Duplication issues and the lack of audiotracks is two of my top reasons to try alternative way to use the MPC Ren in combination in with a Midi System.

May It Help :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Machine_Control
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midi_chart-v2.pdf
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php
By Patrick Dee Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:56 pm
Hi Comtox

I did a feature request and received the Info from Akai that MPC Ren is a special controller for MPC Software and its not planned that REN will be a full config.able Midicontroller lik NI Maschine with their Controller Editor. But it would be nice when you will also do a feature request....I would also like to see that REN will be able to use in an special midi note like the mpd 32 and that you can give the pads for example a GM Drumset Midit Setting and also that you can see the controller data on the REN Display :)

Best regards

Patrick
By Luigi Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:09 am
comtox wrote:I try to perform two ore more program directly using Cubase sequencer and entering notes with the MPC Pads.
I only succeed to control a unique program even on different Midi Channel.
I only succeed to enter notes with my Midi Keyboard, MPC Pads does't transmit Midi to cubase.

The Setup : Midi Track 1 , Midi In : All midi inputs, Midi Out : MPC plugin.

Now, Settings I´ve tried :

1- Midi In : MPC vsti, Midi Out : MPC vsti, Result in a tiny Shortcircuit, CPU Looping as Midi Notes...

2- Midi In : MPC vsti , Out : MPC public. -> No Midi Data reaching Cubase... Or just in case i Set a MIDI Program on the REN, ie: MpcTrack 1 Midi Chan A1 send notes to cubase on chan1.

Then, my question, Is it possible to control, record a track in Cubase performing on the Ren´s pads and playing Program on the Ren as it is recorded in Cubase Midi Track ? Using the Ren as a controller and an external instrument at the same time ?

And additionally , How to map Start, Play, Stop, Rec, JOG dial Etc... from the Ren to triggers Cubase's Transport control ?

Thx for helping :)

Ive been setting up cubase 5 togheter with the REN and it works fine I think. But it is a bit of a hassle.

U can map the transports with the Generic Remote function.

The midi is a bit tricky. u have to use the Input Transformer if u want to control more tracks from the Ren.
By comtox Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:56 am
OmG, Akaï.... :hmmm: It should be a basic function...

I'm on the way to map MMC signal from the Ren to Cubase using MidiOx and The generic remote control panel from the Daw.

I'll post future progression.

+1000$ for a dedicated controller lol Sadly loling...

Standalone MPC Software is great for composing only sample production but we could add, Live instruments, Mcees and Scratch if it would works in conjuction with a real DAW...
By comtox Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:14 am
Luigi wrote:You have to use the Input Transformer if u want to control more tracks from the Ren.

I'm still diggin' to control Cubase with the REN but it seems impossible to use the MPC plugin at same time. When plugin is launched, transports buttons doesn't transmit Midi Control at all...

<MPC Ren should be the greatest beatmaking tool, but no, it's a MPC software dedicated toy> It should do what a Midi plugged MPC2500 or 5000 does. Sending MTC over my Daw.
By Patrick Dee Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:10 pm
You are very limited to control Cubase with the Ren HW. We need a special controller mode like NI Maschine where you can created or edit templates. Thats why i didnt sell my mpd 32. We need a stand alone midi mode for Ren. I was a little surprised that the REN Pads give other midi notes out than the other drum controllers
By JAH Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:12 am
The Ren is designed to send MIDI while it is used as a plugin. See my thread/tutorial for Pro Tools. I am doing just that.

Also, if you want to use the Ren's transports to control Cubase, PM me your email address. I have a template you can try to use to see if it works.
By 83dude Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:34 pm
Small tip if you're using a Mac:

Go to your utility folder (with highlighted finder, press CMD+SHIFT+U) and open Audio MIDI Setup. Select your IAC driver and make it ACTIVE. Then you can set up multiple MIDI ports in there for internal MIDI in your computer (so to say).

At least, routing shouldn't be a major problem then. I could also comment on your Cubase setup (and I should actually be able to fix it), but actually I don't get the point what it is you're trying to achieve.
By aldred411 Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:22 pm
hi i have the same problem i found somthing at note repeat .com to help setup cubase you can also get transport control script which works but i have no midi on the vst mpc track in cubase
i'll explain below i new to forums so please excuse if any of the below is confusing

i can create a mpc vst track which also creates a midi track in cubase i then also create a audio track and group that with the vst track as shown at noterepeat .com this is when i run into problems
.i want to use the mpc studio in cubase as the drum machine/sampler i have an motif xf for keys and that.
what i want to do is record midi data to the midi track from the mpc to cubase, the mpc program runs and i get sound and this sound is detected in the audio track and the vst track of cubase .
i'm just having problems with the midi .
i'll try to explain the setup

mpc set to midi in the instrument panel
in cubase i have the midi ports set to -midi output routing /mpc midi in (as shown on noterepeat set up)
midi input routing / mpc midi out (when i hit the pad the the pad stays flashing and the midi meter bar signals a reading of the pad flashing when i disconnect the out i then get no midi)

from what i can gather the mpc midi mode is for controlling external midi instrument as i cant load any samples from the mpc content to the pads so i dont think i would use that mode in cubase to control the mpc plugin unlike what the noterepeat setup said

if i set the mpc to mpc in the instrument tab i can the load drum kits etc the pad sounds are picked up by the audio channels in cubase as i said earlier but i still have no midi signal unless i set the midi input channel of cubase to my motif xf main port,turn local off on xf then i can trigger the sound from the mpc in cubase via the keyboard and i get a midi reading and the pad flashes and sound when i hit a key but still not with the pad
I'm confused now because the keyboard triggers pads cubase sees it mpc sees it but the pads don't trigger midi
Ive tried searching for info and sat here for hours and played with different settings the best i can get is to record mpc midi via keyboard in cubase or record mpc midi in its daw then record the audio into cubase
I've tried the iac driver thing on the mac don't know if i done it right and i tried input transformer which someone was on about online but again i don't know if i did this right as i haven't used this before.
any help would be most helpful

from england