Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By DJ Hellfire Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:03 pm
bobbybland wrote:I've tried this in my Pro Tools rig and I seem to only get 14 mono outputs,not sure what I'm missing there,but it seems to bypass outputs 1/2.

Please Akai get this fixed, I really hate the idea of having to go to another lesser functionable DAW just to use the mpc ren as a plugin.

Outputs 1-2 will come out of the instrument track! Same with Maschine. You have to bus the output of the instrument track to an audio track.
By Jonespnice1 Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:47 pm
bobbybland wrote:
Maschine allows for 16 mono inputs though.

But within Maschine it only gives you the option for outs 1-16 (stereo) and to break them down into mono you have to pan hard left/right (i.e. kick - hard left, snare - hard right on outputs 1-2). I think it would be cool for both the Ren and Maschine to do this but it's not a big deal either way.
By bobbybland Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:59 pm
The idea of mono outputs should be as crucial as stereo outputs, unfortunately Akai was under the impression kicks,snares,hats,perc should be outputted via stereo, which is never the case for my productions.

Until they offer a better solution I'm unable to create the template I want for my daw (studio one) I'd rather just export the midi clip and bounce the audio as it's alot better then the work around at this point.

Again AKAI, PLEASE add 16 MONO outputs in the next update. This is crucial for mixing imo.
By Jonespnice1 Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:46 pm
bobbybland wrote:The idea of mono outputs should be as crucial as stereo outputs, unfortunately Akai was under the impression kicks,snares,hats,perc should be outputted via stereo, which is never the case for my productions.

Until they offer a better solution I'm unable to create the template I want for my daw (studio one) I'd rather just export the midi clip and bounce the audio as it's alot better then the work around at this point.

Again AKAI, PLEASE add 16 MONO outputs in the next update. This is crucial for mixing imo.

How is this accomplished with Maschine (in Studio One)?
By Jonespnice1 Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:24 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:
bobbybland wrote:

Again AKAI, PLEASE add 32 MONO outputs in the next update. This is crucial for mixing imo.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Yes that would be cool but I would also like the ability to have multiple instances of the Ren in VST mode just like Maschine, this would virtually give you an unlimited amount of outputs and tracks.
By bobbybland Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 pm
Jonespnice1 wrote:
bobbybland wrote:The idea of mono outputs should be as crucial as stereo outputs, unfortunately Akai was under the impression kicks,snares,hats,perc should be outputted via stereo, which is never the case for my productions.

How is this accomplished with Maschine (in Studio One)?

Click on the Instr tab on far left of GUI right click on the Maschine tab, and select 16 mono outputs.This is where Maschine just leaves the Mpc,as well as plugin stability,better use of exporting drag n drop etc... I could go on.
By Jonespnice1 Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 am
bobbybland wrote:
Click on the Instr tab on far left of GUI right click on the Maschine tab, and select 16 mono outputs.This is where Maschine just leaves the Mpc,as well as plugin stability,better use of exporting drag n drop etc... I could go on.

Yeah that's true, Maschine has some very nice features and I hope that Akai adds that feature for you (actually 32 mono outs would be better, like DJ Hellfire suggested). Since you have both Maschine and the Ren why not just use both of them for their strengths. I know that I still use Maschine alongside the Ren. Maschine's multiple instances (in VST mode) is great, also the drag and drop, as a matter of fact the only 2 things that bug the heck out of me are the song mode and the sequencer is a little suspect sometimes. There are times that I play a drum pattern and I'll record some hi hats or whatever and one or two notes will be completely off (I know it's not user error), so I'll close Maschine and open it back up and I can then record it perfectly. But I'm not saying this to bash Maschine or the Ren, I like/use them both, I'm just saying until they give me the features that I want I'll find workarounds and use any and all equipment that can help me make my beats. Believe it or not I still use a Roland VS-880ex (digital recorder) in my setup.
Last edited by Jonespnice1 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bobbybland Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:24 am
I hear you, and Maschine definitely isn't leaving my desk anytime soon. This is more or less a gripe more about the support, look for the price they (akai) are asking for the ren, and the lack of features,they should be all over these forums, and coding their hearts out, there should also be a PUBLIC BETA like MASCHINE had until it was STABLE.

I don't think this is asking very much as a customer.
By JAH Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 am
I don't really see the problem here. The Ren can route mono channels to your DAW.

I am currently using Pro Tools 10. When I insert the Ren on an Instrument Track and then create Mono Audio tracks in Pro Tools, I see MONO channels from the Ren available as inputs such as MPC 3-4L, MPC 3-4R, MPC 5-6L, MPC 5-6R, MPC 7-8L, MPC 7-8R, etc. MPC 3-4L= MONO channel 3. MPC 3-4R= MONO channel 4.

If you create a STEREO audio track in Pro Tools, the input options will be MPC 3-4, MPC 5-6, MPC 7-8, etc.

Where is the confusion? This functionality doesn't work?

Now I can understand if you just want more channels. Or if you want Akai to make a simply function simpler by just showing MONO channel 3 as MPC 3 instead of MPC 3-4L.

However, not having more channels isn't a work stoppage when all tracks can be exported from the Ren/Studio and imported into your DAW.
By bobbybland Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 am
I'm not using Pro Tools, though I do own PT, I wouldn't touch it for production. Perhaps mixing,that's it.. My daw as I mentioned will not allow this, so to me this is a major problem.

FWIW the rest of the world has moved on from pro tools. It's time for dev's to be aware of this while beta testing,thanks

I've also tried this inside my copy of Abelton Live 8, and it doesn't allow this either. Or perhaps I'm missing something, regardless AKAI needs to fix this, what your describing that works is simply a work around.

I'm talking about a fix. AKAI fix it..asap
By Jonespnice1 Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:46 am
bobbybland wrote:I'm not using Pro Tools, though I do own PT, I wouldn't touch it for production. Perhaps mixing,that's it.. My daw as I mentioned will not allow this, so to me this is a major problem.

FWIW the rest of the world has moved on from pro tools. It's time for dev's to be aware of this while beta testing,thanks

I've also tried this inside my copy of Abelton Live 8, and it doesn't allow this either. Or perhaps I'm missing something, regardless AKAI needs to fix this, what your describing that works is simply a work around.

You know the more I think about this I think it may be a Daw specific problem, I believe when a new product comes out that (Daw) companies such as avid, cakewalk/Roland, Apple, ect. are responsible for third party software compatibility. It works in Reaper and Sonar, and JaH stated that it works in Pro Tools so that tells me that the functionality is there. I think it may be better to send a email to presonus' tech support.
By bobbybland Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:49 am
Jonespnice1 wrote:
bobbybland wrote:I'm not using Pro Tools, though I do own PT, I wouldn't touch it for production. Perhaps mixing,that's it.. My daw as I mentioned will not allow this, so to me this is a major problem.

You know the more I think about this I think it may be a Daw specific problem, I believe when a new product comes out that (Daw) companies such as avid, cakewalk/Roland, Apple, ect. are responsible for third party software compatibility. It works in Reaper and Sonar, and JaH stated that it works in Pro Tools so that tells me that the functionality is there. I think it may be better to send a email to presonus' tech support.

Actually we have confirmed that it won't work, but thanks
By JAH Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:15 am
When I get home in a few hours, I going to look at several DAWs and post my findings.

But if it works fine in some DAWs and not others...perhaps its time to switch DAWs if you want this functionality or simply use track export does the exact samething.....getting the Ren's audio into your DAW of choice.
By DJ Hellfire Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:27 am
JAH wrote:When I get home in a few hours, I going to look at several DAWs and post my findings.

But if it works fine in some DAWs and not others...perhaps its time to switch DAWs if you want this functionality or simply use track export does the exact samething.....getting the Ren's audio into your DAW of choice.

It's the Ren that needs the work! No one should have to switch DAW's to perform such a simple task. Like Bobby says (and as I and many others have said in the past), it needs to have mono outs, like every other MPC in history has ever had. And it needs more of them. 16 is not enough for the average beat by today's standards. Even the S5000 had 16 outs, and that was hardware. With software, there really should not be such a limited number of virtual i/o, especially not in 2012/2013.

Where Studio One comes up short is by not letting you choose one channel of a stereo output for the input on a mono track like Pro Tools does. But again, wouldn't be an issue if you can properly assign mono sounds to mono outputs from the MPC to begin with!