Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By JAH Mon May 20, 2013 5:06 am
I suspect there are many things Akai has planned for the Ren/Studio. We are just not privy to their priorities (or can't speak on them).
By Jive Talking Robot Mon May 20, 2013 12:34 pm
Thanks for replying JAH - I suspect you are right.

We are all different of course, but honestly I put this kind of in the "drum machine 101" category of features, along with having decent transport controls, pads and a data wheel (and, oh say, if you are going to put x4 physical MIDI Outs then you should have clock out on all x4 physical MIDI outs! :( ).

Oh well... glad I bumped it to remind people that this is a requested and needed (and basic!) feature.
By JAH Mon May 20, 2013 1:03 pm
What do you find wrong with the pads, data dial, and transport?
By Jive Talking Robot Mon May 20, 2013 1:17 pm
Hi JAH - you misunderstood me (or more likely I was not very clear). The pads, transport and dial are brilliant! I wouldn't change a thing about them. :-D

My point was there are certain basic things I feel you need to nail with a drum machine, especially one that is a flagship model. The pads, buttons, transport are all spot on. I love them and they are clearly well designed with a proud legacy informing their quality. But in that category I also put things like clock sync out and mono audio out - I just think well thought out drum machines should have these things because they are fairly rudimentary features in 2013, there is a direct legacy of having them in prior products that have been replaced by this product, and people quite reasonably expect them to be there because they have a proven track record of being useful features. I guess Akai felt differently (or put this low on their priority list). :o
By grinchmob Tue May 21, 2013 12:40 am
labcoats wrote:8 stereo outs is nowhere near enough.
The Ren should have 32 stereo.

:nod:
By JAH Tue May 21, 2013 12:50 am
labcoats wrote:8 stereo outs is nowhere near enough.
The Ren should have 32 stereo.

Why stop at 32? Why not 128? Is there an agreed upon standard in this regard?

This thread is about Mono Outs. Panning hard left/right does give you 16 Mono outs to your DAW. I think a higher priority would be exporting Mono tracks.

Plus with the ability to export 128 tracks as audio files to import into your DAW, increasing the number of audio channels from the MPC Software to your DAW is less a priority in my very humble opinion. I believe it is much faster to export Ren/Studio audio tracks and import into a DAW...then to use virtual outputs to record from the Ren/Studio into your DAW.
By labcoats Tue May 21, 2013 1:43 pm
No need to attempt educating me on mono or stereo routing.
32 is better than 8 - and if Akai feel the need to implement 128 outs I wont complain.
By JAH Tue May 21, 2013 1:52 pm
labcoats wrote:No need to attempt educating me on mono or stereo routing.
32 is better than 8 - and if Akai feel the need to implement 128 outs I wont complain.

32 is better than 8. 64 is better than 32. 128 is better than 64.

...by the time you set up 8 virtual audio outs and record in your DAW....128 audio tracks can be exported from the Ren and imported into your DAW in a fraction of the time. So 32 virtual outputs would certainly not be faster.
By Jive Talking Robot Tue May 21, 2013 1:56 pm
JAH wrote:Panning hard left/right does give you 16 Mono outs to your DAW. I think a higher priority would be exporting Mono tracks.

Why not have both @ the same time? And yes, panning is a completely acceptable as a short term alternative, but in the long term a modern software platform on a flagship product in a space that is loaded with competition needs to address this fairly rudimentary, legacy-driven and (based on the length of this thread) expected feature.

It does seem that Akai is willing to address user requests and understands why people want what they want, so I have no doubt we will see it. It's just a matter of patience and of reminding them from time to time that this one should be on "the list" (along with MIDI clock out on 4 ports!) :wink:

JAH wrote:
...by the time you set up 8 virtual audio outs and record in your DAW....128 audio tracks can be exported from the Ren and imported into your DAW in a fraction of the time. So 32 virtual outputs would certainly not be faster.

In my case I run the virtual outs of the Ren through the virtual Presonus "Studio Live" mixing desk that comes with my 1818VSL so I can leverage the EXCELLENT Fat Channel processing - then they go to my DAW from the Live mixer. Basically rendering does not fit my workflow. Not saying the world should revolve around the way I work, but I did want to point out that there are reasons why people need to use those virtual outs. 8)
By JAH Tue May 21, 2013 2:20 pm
No doubt...I am sure everyone can come up with compelling reasons why certain features should be implemented and with so many requests and different workflows...there is no telling if or when any of them will ever happen. There are at least two dozen features that are as frequently requested...and several hundred other requests.
By Jive Talking Robot Tue May 21, 2013 2:32 pm
JAH wrote:No doubt...I am sure everyone can come up with compelling reasons why certain features should be implemented and with so many requests and different workflows...there is no telling if or when any of them will ever happen. There are at least two dozen features that are as frequently requested...and several hundred other requests.

Can you imagine what the product roadmap dry erase board at the typical Akai developer looks like? I have seen those before...

But this is why I am thankful they have competition from NI's Maschine and to some extent Arturia's Spark and Abelton's Push: it makes for timely updates filled with feature requests because Akai wants (and needs) to remain relevant. They have the best hardware controller IMO (though I have not used Push yet) - now we just need the best software to go with it. It's making strides though... but 1.4 can't come soon enough.
By andreat668 Tue May 21, 2013 5:13 pm
SUBLIMINAL MODE ON

"we need rewire within 64 stereo in/out"

SUBLIMINAL MODE OFF

While for studio work bouncing tracks maybe can be more convenient, during lives/shows/beatbattle/etc... rewire is muh better.

"because bangin live beats while all your tracks goes in your choice's daw, for mixing/mastering duties, has no price."

"For the rest there is Jah's paypal account which i just cloned off today"
By andreat668 Tue May 21, 2013 5:43 pm
Also if you like to "make your sound" as the beat making goes on, is much better using rewire in stand alone mode than the mpc software as a plug-in (which is a little bit clunky).

Like this you can skip most of mpc software "issues" about the mixer, you can send midi to your host vst and sound modules and record audio from REN/Studio and different audio application at one time all together into one place (the d.a.w).

Sorry but i cant stress enough how much this feature is important and the fact that even the shittiest audio workstation/d.a.w. in the world has rewire.