Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By e9000k Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 am
JAH wrote:
e9000k wrote:UPDATE:

Pete Goodliffe:
"@HellfireBeats BTW, we have double click to add/remove a slice in the sample editor"

HELLFIRE:
Can you also add/remove from the hardware?
JAH:
Split and Combine regions as seen in hardware MPC models.

Does this mean you can add remove slices from the hardware AND split and combine regions?

The Ren's hardware doesn't allow you to enter/delete slices at specific points as seen in Roland samplers (which I love by the way they function in this regard).

The Ren functions like Maschine. Where Split (Maschine's ADD) divides a region into two equal parts....and Combine (Maschine's Remove), which removes a slice thus combining the currently selected and preceding region into one.

Thats perfect for me, but can you do this:

Load a sample, split. then 2 samples will be assigned to the pads correct?

Then fine adjust the region, ie. move marker.

Then go into lets say Region 1 and split again which results in 3 regions pre-mapped to 3 pads

if thats the case I am buying Studio when 1.3 drops LOL
By JAH Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:21 am
e9000k wrote:Thats perfect for me, but can you do this:

Then go into lets say Region 1 and split again which results in 3 regions pre-mapped to 3 pads

When you load a sample and enter Sample Edit Chop Mode, by default it is sliced by threshold/transients up to 128 regions. Press audition (Note 1) immediately maps the samples to all the pads. You can also choose Chop To by Regions or BPMs.

So let's say you want to completely chop manually. You can set the Ren to Chop by Regions and dial in '2' for regions. You now have two samples of equal size on Pads A01 and A02 that you can trigger.

Strike Pad A01 to select Slice 1 and use Q15 to adjust the end point (Note 2) of Slice 1. You can zoom in from the hardware (or using mouse) to make fine edits (Note 3). Once you have the Slice 1 edited as you see fit, press [Window] and then F4 [Slice]. This operation splits Slice 1 into equal regions immediately mapping them to Pads A01 and A02. Slice 2 now becomes Slice 3 and assigned to Pad A03.

Personally, using the mouse to click the waveform to insert slice lines is significantly faster. And every time you add a slice line using your mouse, a new slice is mapped to a pad automatically.

Notes:
1. F4 [Audition] must be turned on to play slices from pads

2. Adjust the end point of a slice is the start point of the following slice (vice versa)

3. The Ren LCD displays a static waveform. When zooming in, only the waveform on your computer monitor zooms in/out.
By e9000k Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:28 am
JAH wrote:

When you load a sample and enter Sample Edit Chop Mode, by default it is sliced by threshold/transients up to 128 regions. Press audition (Note 1) immediately maps the samples to all the pads. You can also choose Chop To by Regions or BPMs.

So let's say you want to completely chop manually. You can set the Ren to Chop by Regions and dial in '2' for regions. You now have two samples of equal size on Pads A01 and A02 that you can trigger.

Strike Pad A01 to select Slice 1 and use Q15 to adjust the end point (Note 2) of Slice 1. You can zoom in from the hardware (or using mouse) to make fine edits (Note 3). Once you have the Slice 1 edited as you see fit, press [Window] and then F4 [Slice]. This operation splits Slice 1 into equal regions immediately mapping them to Pads A01 and A02. Slice 2 now becomes Slice 3 and assigned to Pad A03.

Personally, using the mouse to click the waveform to insert slice lines is significantly faster. And every time you add a slice line using your mouse, a new slice is mapped to a pad automatically.

Notes:

2. Adjust the end point of a slice is the start point of the following slice (vice versa)

3. The Ren LCD displays a static waveform. When zooming in, only the waveform on your computer monitor zooms in/out.

OK, im SOLD

This is the stuff i meant with Re-Chop in another thread which you also participated in.

When regioning slice A1 in the 2nd step, it retained the "2" value automatically from previous slice? Do i have an option to chop lets say into 4 regions instead of 2? I suppose it remembers what you entered last.

This sounds like 5k and 4k chopping on steriods correct?
By JAH Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:39 am
e9000k wrote:
JAH wrote:

Notes:

OK, im SOLD

This is the stuff i meant with Re-Chop in another thread which you also participated in.

When regioning slice A1 in the 2nd step, it retained the "2" value automatically from previous slice? Do i have an option to chop lets say into 4 regions instead of 2? I suppose it remembers what you entered last.

This sounds like 5k and 4k chopping on steriods correct?

There is 'Chop To' by Region which you can divide a sample into 128 equal slices/regions. Then there is the Split Region which only divides the selected slice into 2 equal regions.
By e9000k Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:33 am
Ok thats really cool, to sum it up: you can load a sample and do the following against 1 sample

- Chop by X Regions
- Split
- Combine

and the result of these actions will be automatically mapped to the Pads from left to right?

I need to see this in action :)

For the record: only reason I am looking at the Studio is that recently purchased a MacBook Air and if 1.3 works as explained it will make sense.

The reason why I am not sold on the MPC Ren to replace my 4k in the Studio is that Sync slave does not work and 4 outs is not enough for tracking. 10 would have been nice.
By Blue Haze Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:39 am
Dude you can track it as a plugin with up to 32 outs I think unless you are going to use two computers one for Ren and it's outs and the other as the daw with another card to track into.
By JAH Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:16 pm
e9000k wrote:Ok thats really cool, to sum it up: you can load a sample and do the following against 1 sample

- Chop by X Regions
- Split
- Combine

and the result of these actions will be automatically mapped to the Pads from left to right?

Exactly right. :nod:

e9000k wrote:For the record: only reason I am looking at the Studio is that recently purchased a MacBook Air and if 1.3 works as explained it will make sense.

The reason why I am not sold on the MPC Ren to replace my 4k in the Studio is that Sync slave does not work and 4 outs is not enough for tracking. 10 would have been nice.

If you want to track out, the Ren can use any interface connected to your computer to provide up to 8 stereo outputs from one computer to a mixer/another computer. You can also use the Ren's virtual outputs when used as a plugin inside your DAW.

You can forgo tracking altogether just by Exporting your Ren tracks as audio files.....up to 128 of them. Then import into your DAW.

Several options to be limited by MIDI sync which is not always perfect anyway. Plus there are DAWs on the market that can SLAVE to MTC or MIDI Clock. Then there are DAWs that can't sync as SLAVES and are very popular...currently, Akai decided to go this route as well. And I see the Ren evolving to be a complete music production DAW for producers as opposed to a DAW like Pro Tools that arguably is an engineers favorite tool for mixing.
By e9000k Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:24 pm
Blue Haze wrote:Dude you can track it as a plugin with up to 32 outs I think unless you are going to use two computers one for Ren and it's outs and the other as the daw with another card to track into.

Tracking as a Plugin does not give me the benefit of the 3000 Out's. Maybe I'm missing something but the big selling point of the Ren to me were the 3000 flava outputs. And only 4 of those is not good enough I have 10 on the 4000 and I use all 10 connected to Pro Tools HD4 Rig. We could go around in circles but thats the main reason why the Ren doesn't cut it for me. Its just no replacement for the 4k in the Studio.

My Signal chain is 4k 10 Outs > 10 channel DI > 10 channels of Preamp, thats the old way of tracking MPC's

The Studio however is a cool thing to have next to 11" macbook air to put together ideas. Why not?
By Blue Haze Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:33 pm
e9000k wrote:
Blue Haze wrote:Dude you can track it as a plugin with up to 32 outs I think unless you are going to use two computers one for Ren and it's outs and the other as the daw with another card to track into.

Tracking as a Plugin does not give me the benefit of the 3000 Out's. Maybe I'm missing something but the big selling point of the Ren to me were the 3000 flava outputs. And only 4 of those is not good enough I have 10 on the 4000 and I use all 10 connected to Pro Tools HD4 Rig. We could go around in circles but thats the main reason why the Ren doesn't cut it for me. Its just no replacement for the 4k in the Studio.

The Studio however is a cool thing to have next to 11" macbook air. Why not?

As a fellow 4k user we both know 4k doesn`t have the 3000k output either. But it is cool I saw your workaround tech some months back. Anyways enjoy your Studio I got the Ren cuz I wanted the qlink, surface of the Renaissence along with similar feel of a hardware unit. I work with maschine too but it`s workflow is this an adjustment. I`m back on my 4k until the update for Ren so I`m 4k for life just I still want to expand into software.
By e9000k Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:34 pm
JAH wrote:
e9000k wrote:Ok thats really cool, to sum it up: you can load a sample and do the following against 1 sample

- Chop by X Regions
- Split
- Combine

Exactly right. :nod:

e9000k wrote:For the record: only reason I am looking at the Studio is that recently purchased a MacBook Air and if 1.3 works as explained it will make sense.

If you want to track out, the Ren can use any interface connected to your computer to provide up to 8 stereo outputs from one computer to a mixer/another computer. You can also use the Ren's virtual outputs when used as a plugin inside your DAW.

You can forgo tracking altogether just by Exporting your Ren tracks as audio files.....up to 128 of them. Then import into your DAW.

Several options to be limited by MIDI sync which is not always perfect anyway. Plus there are DAWs on the market that can SLAVE to MTC or MIDI Clock. Then there are DAWs that can't sync as SLAVES and are very popular...currently, Akai decided to go this route as well. And I see the Ren evolving to be a complete music production DAW for producers as opposed to a DAW like Pro Tools that arguably is an engineers favorite tool for mixing.

Thanks for breaking the chopping down for us, really glad they fixed this.

on #2 there is a whole thread about this topic, the 4k is sync'd to Pro Tools HD and its close to sample accurate thanks to sync gen by innerclocksystems :)

Its a matter of personal taste of how the Studio is set up and again the Ren is no replacement for my Hardware 4k, i see why it will work for many many other ppl out there though.

The Studio however has become attractive with 1.3 and MacBook Air