Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By JAH Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:46 pm
daslicht wrote:
Jonespnice1 wrote:
Remember the true strength of the MPC is its sequencer, the sampler itself has been outdated for several years.

Is there any other sampler available on earth without legato / portamento ?

Regardless of the answer....Those are not typical MPC features. MPC have always had simple samplers as it is a drum Maschine first.
By daslicht Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 pm
JAH wrote:
daslicht wrote:
Jonespnice1 wrote:
Remember the true strength of the MPC is its sequencer, the sampler itself has been outdated for several years.

Regardless of the answer....Those are not typical MPC features. MPC have always had simple samplers as it is a drum Maschine first.

Why the heck does a drum machine needs VSTi Support?
To sample DrumVSTi Sounds ?! :hmmm:

JAH wrote:Regardless of the answer....Those are not typical MPC features.

Regardless of the answer... even the the meaning of the name has MPC changed

imo the MPC has a very great potential form a certain group of people to do do some really nice music with ease and love

Peace
By JAH Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:10 pm
It's a workstation. It ships with a drum sampler and keygroup sampler. The Keygroup sampler (only the 3rd Official Akai MPC with this function) is pretty basic. And it is just my best guess that it is a low priority to improve it significantly as you can use a more advanced plugin if you choose. I am just stating the obvious and not saying that Akai shouldn't improve MPC keygroup programs. But would it be worth the effort? That is debatable either way.
By Airyck Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:29 am
And to come back around the beginning of this topic, I think that a Pitch envelope is very important for a drum sampler. You can make kicks more punchy, snares more snappy and do quite a few different drum effects with them as well.

I'm fortunate to have extra VSTi's (some people may not have something like battery) but I still think that something as basic as Pitch envelopes (and legato mode for the key group sampler) should be included in a $1300 drum sampler.

The sequencer is really nice though and I'll work around it for now, it would just be nice to have the option of using the built in sampler without so much limitation.
By JAH Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:55 am
Then you would hate hardware MPCs that cost as much as $4000 without this functionality yet produced 'punchy drums and snappy snares'. I am not debating whether this feature should or shouldn't be included. Just making a point that what you proclaim is a basic feature has not been included in the premiere sampling drum machine line in history....used by producers that take the sound of their drums seriously.
By Jonespnice1 Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 am
daslicht wrote:
Jonespnice1 wrote:

You can get legato/portamento from your VSTs or hardware keyboards, the real power is in the sequencer. There was a time when they sold the sequencer (with no sampler) alone by itself.
By daslicht Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:57 am
JAH wrote:It's a workstation.
And it is just my best guess that it is a low priority to improve it significantly as you can use a more advanced plugin if you choose.

But the main reason why to use a workstation is its integrated workflow
which faded away when using 3rd Party Plugin.

So when I like to Resample some sounds and like to play them legato style I would have to save that Sample to disk,
add an instance of Kontakt, create a new Keygroup, add the Performace Script and after that I am ready to go? NO
after that the creative flow is broken.
Compare that insane approach with the workflow of a MV8x00.

It makes no sense to me to Load a Drumsampler Plugin into a Drumsampler where you have to use the mouse again to do all thing just to get a Pitch Envelope, or Flexible Curves.

If so, we just could use Studio One and Geist.
Studio one even have a keyboard shortcut to open / close VSTi GUIs :roll:

Thats why I point out how important it is what you can do with the MPC without any other 3rd Party Software. amen
By stupid Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:46 am
Jah, please stop comparing it to old mpcs ffs. Its connected to a computer, Its NOT A REGULAR MPC. its software functions people ask for, not new hardware functions.

They guy asked for something usefull and you say, well not avail before or old samplers from 90s dont have it! Hey, buy a plugin that does it better.

shit do we care. Im noot looking at a mpc2000 am i? Im looking at a mpc dropped late 2012. Is it expected to have all these futures that everyone wants? NO. But asking for it cant be bad?

but If old mpc dont have it, or all mpcs dont have it is the answer to all questions im **** glad i still have the money in my safe and kept waiting for this long.

THE OLD MPC CARD IS GETTING REALLY OLD NOW.
By JAH Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:43 pm
Seriously though? No Mod envelope with multiple destinations or "at least" one that has Pitch as a destination?

Doesn't anybody else feel like the MPC software sampler is EXTREMELY basic and quite limiting in the sound design department?

Good thing I have battery or I might go crazy.

Last night working on some detailed drum design and all I wanted was a pitch envelope... it's the first time that I truly doubted my purchase

The worst part is that they have limited the amount of things they can add because of the 6 page limit in the edit window.

I really hope the add some sort of "shift window" to make a whole new set of pages available because I don't see how they can add anything else in it's current state and in it's current state the sampler is weak at best.

*edit -- did any of the old MPC's have a pitch envelope?

stupid wrote:Jah, please.....

Its NOT A REGULAR MPC bit is a stale argument and means absolutely nothing. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion of pitch envelopes, then you are way off topic.

OP:
"Does anyone is missing pitch envelopes? Do any of the old MPCs have them?" No. I can't think of an MPC that has one. And never thought an MPC should have one. Yet, we had this discussion in the forums in December and the idea submitted to Akai.

Doesn't anybody else feel like the MPC software sampler is EXTREMELY basic and quite limiting in the sound design department? MPC samplers have always been basic. Every product that was similar in concept that had a more complex sampler either failed or had lackluster results in the market place compared to 'simpler' MPCs. The Ren is a plugin host designed to support your favorite robust sampler/synths for sound design...to include Battery 4 which I just purchased.

As far as his comments about the limitation of 6 pages, there are several ways Akai can address this if they choose. The logical choice is the [Window] function which MPCs have had for over a decade. You highlight a basic param and press [Window] to give you detailed editing of that param. Ex., move the cursor to a 'Level/Volume' field and press [Window]. You now have access to an Amp Envelope. This is basic MPC workflow. And of course, you have easy access to all params using a mouse.....

Peace...back to the Ren.
By stupid Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:58 pm
My reply had nothing to do with missing or existing features. Its the constant "blame" of it did not exist or not all mpcs could do this!

It gets irrelevant after a while, comparing software to actual hardware limitations. ofc we cant expect everything or close to half. But stop using that as a reason to turn down requests or criticism.

Thats all i have to say.
By Coz Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:13 pm
JAH wrote:With 1.4, Akai implemented the Amp Decay Mode heavily requested by forums members...a feature that is absent in the MPC 4000 and latest JJOS.

The latest JJOS has amp decay mode (or equivalent feature) and the 4K has Attack Hold which enables an AHD envelope. They all basically do the same thing.
By JAH Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:33 pm
Coz wrote:
JAH wrote:With 1.4, Akai implemented the Amp Decay Mode heavily requested by forums members...a feature that is absent in the MPC 4000 and latest JJOS.

The latest JJOS has amp decay mode (or equivalent feature) and the 4K has Attack Hold which enables an AHD envelope. They all basically do the same thing.

The JJ OS I am running doesn't have Amp Decay Mode unless I am over looking it. It was removed and an ADSR envelope added in its place which is what the Ren currently has. They do not perform the same way as my MPC 3000 and its Decay Mode (Start/End). There is a video example posted in this forum.

As far as the MPC 4000....I'll have to take your word for it. But spending the past week trying to duplicate the behavior of the MPC 3000 in the MPC 4000, was impossible. If you have some tips....please share.
By Jonespnice1 Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:36 pm
stupid wrote:My reply had nothing to do with missing or existing features. Its the constant "blame" of it did not exist or not all mpcs could do this!

It gets irrelevant after a while, comparing software to actual hardware limitations. ofc we cant expect everything or close to half. But stop using that as a reason to turn down requests or criticism.

Thats all i have to say.

To be honest I think the point of the matter is the REN doesn't have this feature or that feature so I think JaH just pointed out some ways to work around it. I would like the REN to have a bunch of features but it currently doesn't so I think this forum is an excellent resource for finding out how to work around the REN's limitations, and I think JaH (along with others) do a good job helping out forum members.