Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.

What's your preferred method of arranging in the MPC?

14%
86%
By Coz Fri May 10, 2013 3:29 pm
I think because the MPC stems from a drum machine lineage and linear sequencing has firm roots in software sequencers, it's a tricky habit to break out of. It feels more 'natural' to use the MPC as a drum machine with benefits, rather than a light version of a DAW.

Nothing can really replicate the creative potential of working across multiple sequences for me. In saying that, I'm gonna force myself to tinker around with longer sequences to see how I get on. 8)
By SimonInAustralia Fri May 10, 2013 5:14 pm
One attraction for me of the MPC is in a live/jam situation, not being locked to a single linear sequence, being able to jump seamlessly from one short looping sequence to another when you want, being able to bring tracks in and out within those short sequences.

Having a single long sequence, and just pressing play, is pretty boring in a live/jam situation, I think.
By labcoats Fri May 10, 2013 11:36 pm
Coz wrote:It looks like the forum has spoken. :smoker:

96% of MPC users (so far) prefer working with multiple sequences over outright linear sequencing.

Hopefully 1.5 will bring advancements to the mixer so that users can work in a less restricted way.

Here's hoping 8)
By BremenCole Sat May 11, 2013 1:53 am
labcoats wrote:
Coz wrote:It looks like the forum has spoken. :smoker:

96% of MPC users (so far) prefer working with multiple sequences over outright linear sequencing.

Hopefully 1.5 will bring advancements to the mixer so that users can work in a less restricted way.

Here's hoping 8)

And I'm trying to digest the fact "the forum" is 24 people. Is Akai selling any of these things? :hmmm:
By Coz Sat May 11, 2013 2:28 am
BremenCole wrote:And I'm trying to digest the fact "the forum" is 24 people. Is Akai selling any of these things? :hmmm:

That's the $64,000 question. All roads lead to MPC-Forums, so it makes you wonder. :hmmm:

If the great minds and talent of this forum (JJ, NYM, Tutor, MPC Stuff etc) chipped in and crafted a boutique MPC, this place would go off like a nuke. :popcorn:
By MaZe Sat May 11, 2013 2:30 am
Coz wrote:If the great minds and talent of this forum (JJ, NYM, Tutor, MPC Stuff etc) chipped in and crafted a boutique MPC, this place would go off like a nuke. :popcorn:

MPC 4000 with JJOS. Game over.
By ceasi Sat May 11, 2013 3:17 am
MaZe wrote:Chaining individual sequences in song mode. And for some reason, no disrespect intended, this seems like a crazy topic to me. Is there any other way? I mean this IS the MPC way. I've never thought of any other way. It's the whole reason why the MPC is what it is. To me, at least.

Took the words outta my mouth
By MPCWeapon1 Sat May 11, 2013 3:17 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Chaining multiple sequences certainly worked for me in legacy MPCs, but I don't have any problem using linear either - mix it up, force myself to think a bit differently, whatever suits my mood.

Exactly.
By Clint Sat May 11, 2013 3:40 am
Airyck wrote:Using both for different purposes makes sense. Getting your song idea and arrangement laid out chaining sequences and then do final details and transitions in a linear fashion.

This.

Referring to legacy MPC's, you have greater flexibilty programming with sequences so laying out a track in song mode and then turning the song into a sequence is the way to go.

Am I allowed to vote if I don't own a Ren? :lol: :lol: :lol:

There wasn't an option for 'both' so no vote cast.
By BremenCole Sat May 11, 2013 3:59 am
Coz wrote:
BremenCole wrote:And I'm trying to digest the fact "the forum" is 24 people. Is Akai selling any of these things? :hmmm:

That's the $64,000 question. All roads lead to MPC-Forums, so it makes you wonder. :hmmm:

If the great minds and talent of this forum (JJ, NYM, Tutor, MPC Stuff etc) chipped in and crafted a boutique MPC, this place would go off like a nuke. :popcorn:

:nod:
By MaZe Sat May 11, 2013 4:04 am
Clint wrote:
Airyck wrote:Using both for different purposes makes sense. Getting your song idea and arrangement laid out chaining sequences and then do final details and transitions in a linear fashion.

This.

Referring to legacy MPC's, you have greater flexibilty programming with sequences so laying out a track in song mode and then turning the song into a sequence is the way to go.

Am I allowed to vote if I don't own a Ren? :lol: :lol: :lol:

There wasn't an option for 'both' so no vote cast.

Exactly this.
By JAH Sat May 11, 2013 9:06 am
MPCs have always had the ability to sequence linear or via chaining loops together. Today's hybrid MPC software + controllers offer the same but with the advantages of a greater visual representation of your compositions as seen in today's traditional DAWs:

As an alternative to creating sequence loops, copying them to other sequences, and then chaining them in song mode......I use the Ren/Studio to do this within a single sequence.

So where Producer X would copy Sequence 1 to Sequence 2 then work on a variation....I would copy Bars 1-4 to Bars 5-8 (equivalent of Producer X's Sequence 2) within Sequence 1. Then set the Ren/Studio's sequencer to Loop bars 5-8. Since it is still the same sequence, I don't have to attempt to duplicate track mixer settings, effects, etc. If I decide I want to re-arrange a composition, I can select a region in one or multiple tracks and move it or paste it to another location within a track as seen in the pic above.

And even sweeter...chaining multiple sequences together is still an option. Having flexibility....getting creative...coming up with your own unique way to work....you have to love it.