Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.

What's your preferred method of arranging in the MPC?

14%
86%
By Coz Thu May 09, 2013 1:58 am
Simple question.

Do you prefer composing in the MPC using a single sequence, or do you chain multiple sequences together to form a song.
By JAH Thu May 09, 2013 2:12 am
MPCs support both. MPC users will most likely always have these options. I prefer linear as I get to use the Track Mixer without any headaches.

'Chaining' sequences using Song Mode is an option but limited to the fact that you have to set up every Track and every channel of the Track mixer the same. The work around is to use the Program Mixer which can be shared throughout multiple sequences.
By SimonInAustralia Thu May 09, 2013 7:31 am
JAH wrote:I prefer linear as I get to use the Track Mixer without any headaches.

'Chaining' sequences using Song Mode is an option but limited to the fact that you have to set up every Track and every channel of the Track mixer the same.

Limited by the fact that it doesn't have a Master/Seqeuence/Program setting for the Track Mixer.
By andreat668 Thu May 09, 2013 1:49 pm
I prefer to chain sequences in song mode as well.

Consider i work on the REN as on a hw mpc, so just samples, no vst at all, just a rough volume instrument levelling.

Also i start composing the main seq, maybe a 1 or 2 verses and from there i copy sequences from which i make variations and intro/outro/break.

So within my workflow i just touch the mixer for volume level a couple of time max.

Anyway to me doesnt seem to much hassle implementing a swith/button for chaining mixers settings for multiple sequences.
By Coz Thu May 09, 2013 2:24 pm
MPCWeapon1 wrote:In the 4k I chain sequences. With JJOSXL and its ability to set loop points within a sequence I tend to do everything in one sequence like a DAW. It's more efficient.

You can set loop points in the 4K, unless you mean something else that's in XL?
By MPCWeapon1 Thu May 09, 2013 2:55 pm
Coz wrote:
MPCWeapon1 wrote:In the 4k I chain sequences. With JJOSXL and its ability to set loop points within a sequence I tend to do everything in one sequence like a DAW. It's more efficient.

You can set loop points in the 4K, unless you mean something else that's in XL?

In JJ it has the LP feature to the top right.

Where is this feature in the 4k... Is it in the Bars Window?
By Ian Canefire Thu May 09, 2013 3:04 pm
Good topic.

I use multiple sequences, with the same instruments set to the same track numbers in all of those sequences and then use song mode to chain the sequences.

I then record each sound(what would be tracks in the mpc) linear style from my synths, drum machines and sound modules (that the mpc is sequencing) into individual tracks in my digital recorder. I record vocals in the digital mixer not into the MPC4000. This way I can do my volume mixing, compression, EQ, panning, and effects to each sound.

I tried doing it jah's way at first, then changed.

Cheers,
Ian
Last edited by Ian Canefire on Thu May 09, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MPCWeapon1 Thu May 09, 2013 3:15 pm
Coz wrote:
MPCWeapon1 wrote:Where is this feature in the 4k... Is it in the Bars Window?

Directly under 'Loop:ON'

Holy shit!! How did I miss that!

Good looking out. I'm going test it out when I get home.
By Lampdog Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 pm
Coz wrote:I should have enabled the votes to be changeable. :mrgreen:

Allow re-voting:
If enabled users are able to change their vote.

Done
By MaZe Thu May 09, 2013 3:50 pm
Chaining individual sequences in song mode. And for some reason, no disrespect intended, this seems like a crazy topic to me. Is there any other way? I mean this IS the MPC way. I've never thought of any other way. It's the whole reason why the MPC is what it is. To me, at least.