Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.

What's your preferred method of arranging in the MPC?

14%
86%
By SimonInAustralia Sat May 11, 2013 9:47 am
JAH wrote:MPCs have always had the ability to sequence linear or via chaining loops together. Today's hybrid MPC software + controllers offer the same but with the advantages of a greater visual representation of your compositions as seen in today's traditional DAWs:

The MPC Software is the same as MPCs have always been, because at the moment, functionally, it really isn't much more than a hardware MPC running inside the computer.

Some users do not want to click around inside a traditional DAW with mouse on a computer screen, they want to work with the MPC as a self contained instrument.

Some users are drawn to the MPC for the fact that you are not looking at your composition on a screen like a DAW, that is why they design in workflow options that allow you to not use the screen.

JAH wrote:As an alternative to creating sequence loops, copying them to other sequences, and then chaining them in song mode......I use the Ren/Studio to do this within a single sequence.

Everyone here understands that you limit yourself to working in linear mode.

Nearly everyone else does not limit themselves like that, and use the MPC for one of the main advantages it offers over DAWs, being able to chain sequences together on the fly, as well as using it in linear mode like you.

JAH wrote:So where Producer X would copy Sequence 1 to Sequence 2 then work on a variation....I would copy Bars 1-4 to Bars 5-8 (equivalent of Producer X's Sequence 2) within Sequence 1. Then set the Ren/Studio's sequencer to Loop bars 5-8. Since it is still the same sequence, I don't have to attempt to duplicate track mixer settings, effects, etc.

No one needs a detailed explanation of how you use it as a linear sequencer, everyone understands how that works.

No one would have to try and duplicate track mixer settings if they had traditional MPC mixer settings for the new track mixer.

The difference is that Producer X can play around with the composition in a non-linear way, during playback, using the flexibility that the MPC workflow offers.

JAH wrote:And even sweeter...chaining multiple sequences together is still an option. Having flexibility....getting creative...coming up with your own unique way to work....you have to love it.

But you are the only one here not being flexible, you are using it just like a DAW, limiting yourself to working that way, might as well just compose inside a traditional DAW with a generic pad controller.

Many others here are using it in linear mode, after chaining shorter loops together, they are the ones using the flexibility of the MPC workflow, you are limiting yourself to a traditional workflow.

Anyway, 25:1, that really says it all.

When you are harvesting feature requests, for your own glory, try to realise that other forum members do not want you imposing your own bias and misunderstandings onto the features that others request.
By andreat668 Sat May 11, 2013 10:25 am
Just tried a cuple of times the "one sequence method" and really didnt like it for all the reason said above.

Plus too much clicking around, i guess i prefer keeping my hands on the hardware instead, this should be the purpose of having an mpc, isnt it?

IMHO If you like this "linear" workflow better using an mpd 32 with a daw/guru/geist/ whatever.
By JAH Sat May 11, 2013 10:37 am
andreat668 wrote:Just tried a cuple of times the "one sequence method" and really didnt like it for all the reason said above.

Plus too much clicking around, i guess i prefer keeping my hands on the hardware instead, this should be the purpose of having an mpc, isnt it?

IMHO If you like this "linear" workflow better using an mpd 32 with a daw/guru/geist/ whatever.

You don't have to click around. You can do everything from the hardware without touching a mouse.
By andreat668 Sat May 11, 2013 10:42 am
JAH wrote:
andreat668 wrote:Just tried a cuple of times the "one sequence method" and really didnt like it for all the reason said above.

You don't have to click around. You can do everything from the hardware without touching a mouse.

Thats not true, how you are going to copy sections in the same sequence?

How you are going to move notes in the same sequence?

How you are going to delete just small portions in the sequence?

How you are going to set loop points?

Clicking around... :lol:
By JAH Sat May 11, 2013 10:50 am
andreat668 wrote:

Thats not true, how you are going to copy sections in the same sequence?

How you are going to move notes in the same sequence?

How you are going to delete just small portions in the sequence?

How you are going to set loop points?

Clicking around... :lol:

Copy sections in the same sequence is done using copy bars using Seq Edit from hardware. Move notes is done by copy events also from hardware. The same is true for deleting bars and events.

[Erase] button and [Seq Edit] button on all MPCs to include the Ren/Studio is used for these purposes. Setting Loop Point is the same. You access it by using [Window] button on the Ren.
By andreat668 Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 am
Yeah except for loop points, i know how to use seq edit...
Anyway for making articulate or complex pattern you will end up using the mouse.

Using seq edit on a 4-8-16 bar sequence is something, using it on a 128 bar long is crazy.

You have to scrooll/rotate all the day if you want edit something in the middle of the sequence or at least remember exactly the position.

Or maybe im missing something and when you loop a portion of the sequence seq edit is relative just to that looped measure.
By JAH Sat May 11, 2013 11:55 am
andreat668 wrote:Yeah except for loop points, i know how to use seq edit...
Anyway for making articulate or complex pattern you will end up using the mouse.

Using seq edit on a 4-8-16 bar sequence is something, using it on a 128 bar long is crazy.

You have to scrooll/rotate all the day if you want edit something in the middle of the sequence or at least remember exactly the position.

Or maybe im missing something and when you loop a portion of the sequence seq edit is relative just to that looped measure.

Whether you use Linear or pattern based recording, the same editing tools are exactly the same. So if you must use the mouse for one method than you must use the mouse for the other. Seq Edit lets you edit a specific range of events. It can be at the beginning, middle, end, etc.

To set the Loop for a sequence, you move the cursor to the 'Loop' field and press [Window]. There you can set the number of bars and the first/last bar of your loop. Using Loop function, you can work on a specific range within the sequence.

Loop, Locate keys, Now time + data dial, and Step keys all can be used to reach different parts of the sequencer without touching a mouse.
By LabDog Sun May 12, 2013 1:35 am
I've always preferred linear recording. I'd really like to see the Renaissance given the linear song recording style of this Cakewalk/Roland MPC like software

Its sequences can be chained together and recorded (as triggered) Live. This is also done at any point of the sequence; not having to wait till the last measure for the next sequence to begin.
Last edited by LabDog on Mon May 13, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By AnSolas Sun May 12, 2013 10:25 am
It would be awesome if we could export whole tracks inclusive samples , midi as well a shot audio preview (as in Studio One).

This would make building songs a lot of fun :D

What I like when using Sequences is that I don't have to Zoom in out that much compared to linear mode.
By sm7x7 Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:04 pm
MPC One owner, came from the traditional DAW environment. Therefore, linear workflow for me is native, but the pattern sequencing is used time by time as well. Voted for a linear style sequencing.