Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.

What's your preferred method of arranging in the MPC?

14%
86%
By Airyck Thu May 09, 2013 3:55 pm
Using both for different purposes makes sense. Getting your song idea and arrangement laid out chaining sequences and then do final details and transitions in a linear fashion.

The problem is that they are completely separated processes right now.
By Ian Canefire Thu May 09, 2013 4:43 pm
@ MAze... I would think that if you are a looper then you don't need song mode and all the sequences. You would be well on your way with all the tracks.

If you are more compositional in your music then you would be interested in the sequence chain.

Cheers,
Ian
By MaZe Thu May 09, 2013 4:47 pm
Ian Canefire wrote:@ MAze... I would think that if you are a looper then you don't need song mode and all the sequences. You would be well on your way with all the tracks.

If you are more compositional in your music then you would be interested in the sequence chain.

Cheers,
Ian

Yes and no. I guess it depends on the person. I loop from time to time but that doesn't mean that I don't arrange and compose. I mean if you are just straight looping with no variation or texture at all, then I can see a linear way of working.
By Ian Canefire Thu May 09, 2013 5:07 pm
@Maze...yes the looping that I am talking about is just that. The loop in its simplest form with many variations and many sources. Roland/Boss make all sorts of loop equipment and have looping competitions. I gather that is the reason why they give you so many tracks in the first place.

Loopers are rocking hard and making money. Dub Efx for example. In any case, having the MPC 4000 for just that purpose would maybe be overkill unless you bought it for the same price as one of those expensive loop pedals.

Cheers,
Ian

PS the roland VS2480 digital recorder can be turned into a phrase looper. Literally substituting the long linear tracks into individual phrase loops thus giving you 24. So it becomes a $2500(when it first came out) looper. lol...A function few use and sorta slept on. I think that these companies through these extras at you because it is so easy to allow the equipment to do it instead of its bigger functions. Had it not been able to then the masses would complain. Open ended thinking.
By Danny Thu May 09, 2013 6:10 pm
IMAKEMADBEATS wrote:These survey results so far are funny.

their deadly serious !!! you got altitude sickest from making fly beats in a plane dog ! :lol:

get your ren back on the ground and vote !! our future sequences depend on it ! :mrgreen:

now which one do go for linear or er chaining :?:

chain swinging like extra percussion ! chaining it is :P
By MPCWeapon1 Thu May 09, 2013 8:01 pm
MaZe wrote:
Ian Canefire wrote:@ MAze... I would think that if you are a looper then you don't need song mode and all the sequences. You would be well on your way with all the tracks.

Cheers,
Ian

Yes and no. I guess it depends on the person. I loop from time to time but that doesn't mean that I don't arrange and compose. I mean if you are just straight looping with no variation or texture at all, then I can see a linear way of working.

Looping is a means of sequencing. What does the way that a person sequences a section of a song have to do with anything? I don't get it.
Last edited by MPCWeapon1 on Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By MaZe Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 pm
MPCWeapon1 wrote:
MaZe wrote:

Cheers,
Ian

Looping is a means of sequencing. What does the way that a person sequences a section of a song have to do with anything? I don't get it.

Phrase looping. As in, sampling a 1-4 bar phrase and looping that.
By labcoats Thu May 09, 2013 9:21 pm
Chaining sequences together - and is even better when arranging those sequences in real time via the pads. Serious magic can happen then - stuff we might not try out doing arranging step by step. Shame about the mixer being attached to to sequences though....now if only Akai would get with the plan on that one :nod:
By labcoats Thu May 09, 2013 9:22 pm
Airyck wrote:Using both for different purposes makes sense. Getting your song idea and arrangement laid out chaining sequences and then do final details and transitions in a linear fashion.

The problem is that they are completely separated processes right now.

+ 1
By labcoats Thu May 09, 2013 9:26 pm
Its great that the Ren is still based on the hardware MPCs - but Akai do have a chance here to bring the MPC concept in to the 21st century. I don't mean by ruining the tried and tested methods - I just mean there is a lot that's happened to sequencers since the early 90's and some of those new ideas could be brought in to the MPC range.
There's a whole new breed of beat makers out there who have grown up with software, and for many a shift to the Ren may feel like to many steps back.
By Coz Fri May 10, 2013 2:55 pm
It looks like the forum has spoken. :smoker:

96% of MPC users (so far) prefer working with multiple sequences over outright linear sequencing.

Hopefully 1.5 will bring advancements to the mixer so that users can work in a less restricted way.