Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By DaizM Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:37 pm
MaZe wrote:Trying to figure out if this is normal behavior. The Ren registers sound (noise) in sampling mode without any audio passing through the inputs. I tested this further by unplugging everything from all of the inputs, shutting monitor off, putting the gain all the way down, turning phantom off, etc., etc. and the meter still registers noise coming through the inputs. If I put the threshold to close to 0, or just enough to match the input noise level (which I can see in the meter), I am able to record it. Keep in mind again, there aren't any sound sources plugged into any of the Ren's inputs. When I do have something plugged into the Ren's inputs, the same issue occurs. I only unplugged everything to test whether or not it was noise coming from the incoming signal (mixer/turntable) or if it was something with the Ren. It's concerning because that means that there is some level of noise being mixed in with whatever I am sampling. I assume that normal behavior is for the Ren to not register any noise if nothing is being passed through the inputs. Has anyone had this issue? Is there a way to fix it?

I've had this happen on and off when I first got my Ren back on version 1.0....it was intermittent and a few times it was due to me having the switches set wrong (mic vs phono, etc...), but other times they were set right and I would have a signal registering. Never found out what was causing it conclusively, but I don't seem to have it happening anymore these days....
By MaZe Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:51 pm
DaizM wrote:

I've had this happen on and off when I first got my Ren back on version 1.0....it was intermittent and a few times it was due to me having the switches set wrong (mic vs phono, etc...), but other times they were set right and I would have a signal registering. Never found out what was causing it conclusively, but I don't seem to have it happening anymore these days....

So you're saying that if you are sampling from an external source into the Ren that is not actually passing any audio your input level meter doesn't register any audio?
By DaizM Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:12 pm
MaZe wrote:
DaizM wrote:

So you're saying that if you are sampling from an external source into the Ren that is not actually passing any audio your input level meter doesn't register any audio?

Saying, like you (if I was understanding your orig post correctly) that when I would have an input plugged in, but not feeding an active audio signal, that the meters on the Ren were showing a signal and I heard noise. Then when I fed an actual signal into the input the meter would go pretty much max out, but the actual signal recorded wasn't really that high when played back. If my memory serves me correctly I think the final recording also had an audible hiss to it, but I could be remembering it wrong. Now though, I do not have any of that occurring anymore. When I go to record the inputs are quiet and no signal shows until I actually feed the input. Never found out why it was happening previously...had considered ground looops etc...but that wasn't it
By MaZe Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:16 pm
DaizM wrote:
Saying, like you (if I was understanding your orig post correctly) that when I would have an input plugged in, but not feeding an active audio signal, that the meters on the Ren were showing a signal and I heard noise. Then when I fed an actual signal into the input the meter would go pretty much max out, but the actual signal recorded wasn't really that high when played back. If my memory serves me correctly I think the final recording also had an audible hiss to it, but I could be remembering it wrong. Now though, I do not have any of that occurring anymore. When I go to record the inputs are quiet and no signal shows until I actually feed the input. Never found out why it was happening previously...had considered ground looops etc...but that wasn't it

The first part that you are talking about I don't have an issue with, it's more the second part. When I am not actively passing audio into the Ren, and even when there is NOTHING plugged into any of the Ren's inputs, there is activity on the input sampling meter as if some audio is being passed through the inputs. If you are saying that you can get the Ren to show 0 audio activity on the input meter when there is no audio being passed into it, there is a problem with my Ren, at least. I can't do that. There is always activity on my input meter no matter what.
By DaizM Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:44 pm
MaZe wrote:
DaizM wrote:

The first part that you are talking about I don't have an issue with, it's more the second part. When I am not actively passing audio into the Ren, and even when there is NOTHING plugged into any of the Ren's inputs, there is activity on the input sampling meter as if some audio is being passed through the inputs. If you are saying that you can get the Ren to show 0 audio activity on the input meter when there is no audio being passed into it, there is a problem with my Ren, at least. I can't do that. There is always activity on my input meter no matter what.

My bad, I missed that part...yeah I never had an issue with a signal showing up and NOTHING physically plugged into the input. YEah, that would drive me insane... but yes, my Ren shows 0 audio signal on the meters when I have a physical input connected AND no signal actively being fed, (but previously some time/revs ago the meters would fill halfway even when no signal was being fed for some reason.)
By MaZe Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:04 pm
DaizM wrote:
MaZe wrote:
DaizM wrote:

My bad, I missed that part...yeah I never had an issue with a signal showing up and NOTHING physically plugged into the input. YEah, that would drive me insane... but yes, my Ren shows 0 audio signal on the meters when I have a physical input connected AND no signal actively being fed, (but previously some time/revs ago the meters would fill halfway even when no signal was being fed for some reason.)

Damnit....(well good for you, bad for me....)

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm talking about the meters in the software, not the meters on the physical Ren. When I go into sampling mode, the Ren registers audio, albeit a little bit, on the inputs no matter what. When you go into sampling mode, there's nothing on the meters?
By MaZe Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:40 pm
Just tried a whole bunch of things, different outlets, different configurations, avoiding metal, etc., etc. and I still get audio activity on the sampling inputs in the Ren software no matter what. If there are people who don't have this issue, then it must be my Ren. Funny thing is, a lot of people do seem to have this issue as well.
By thomasfrom1991 Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:25 pm
MaZe wrote:Just tried a whole bunch of things, different outlets, different configurations, avoiding metal, etc., etc. and I still get audio activity on the sampling inputs in the Ren software no matter what. If there are people who don't have this issue, then it must be my Ren. Funny thing is, a lot of people do seem to have this issue as well.

I know I'm super late here but I'm having the same exact issue here. I've been searching the forums for 10 hours and yours is the only post that I could find. Did you ever find a resolution?