Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By MaZe Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 pm
charlieocali wrote:I have this same issue as well. I have always worked around it, as I do not hear noise after sampling. Its's just near impossible to use the threshold to trigger sampling because of this issue.

Exactly this. I've used the threshold way of sampling for years on the MPC2500, MPC3000, and MPC4000. It helps to get your break/sample to start right at the point of the attack that you want. The way the Ren is set up now, the threshold point is already broken by whatever "noise" is coming through the inputs.
By MaZe Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:49 pm
Here are the two samples. Both of these were taken through the Ren's XLR/TRS inputs without ANYTHING plugged into them and without anything plugged into any of the inputs at all. The Rec Gain was at 0 and so was every other volume control. Phantom and Monitor were both off.

Not normalized
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z08l8870bqvpf ... Normal.wav

Normalized
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvijgxjvbzan5 ... Normal.wav

Just as a note, in doing this test, I noticed that I was able to trigger sampling by setting the threshold to around -85 which is less than the -70 that peterpiper suggested. If there is nothing to worry about here when it comes to additional noise than that's good it just sucks that you can't use the threshold to sample properly.

Edit: Did another test using my Scarlett 18i6 as the interface. All this did was lower the threshold to about -91. I guess we are just dealing with digital hum?
By proppa Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:30 pm
Really strange bug - it Seems like the threshold is being read with the wrong sensitivity setting in the MPC - as if the meter was reading off the phono-in setting instead of line (or something like that) even though the actual input isn't on that setting

Possibly obvious but have you confirmed that your (unused) Phono In switch is set to 'Line' rather than 'Phono' just in case that has anything to do with this issue?
By MaZe Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:34 pm
proppa wrote:Really strange bug - it Seems like the threshold is being read with the wrong sensitivity setting in the MPC - as if the meter was reading off the phono-in setting instead of line (or something like that) even though the actual input isn't on that setting

Possibly obvious but have you confirmed that your (unused) Phono In switch is set to 'Line' rather than 'Phono' just in case that has anything to do with this issue?

I agree, it seems like the threshold sensitivity isn't calibrated properly. (Akai really went all out in making the Ren like legacy MPCs in this regard. Am I right?)

Also, phono set to line, XLR/TRS set to line, phantom set to off.
By MaZe Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:57 pm
proppa wrote:[quote=(Akai really went all out in making the Ren like legacy MPCs in this regard. Am I right?)

great one[/quote]

I'm here all night.

FYI, after testing this some more, and this might be obvious already but...

If you turn on your Ren AFTER you've fired up the app, your sampling threshold will be blown and the meter will read about 3/4 full without any audio passing through the unit. If you turn on your Ren FIRST, your meter will fill up to about -85. At least in my case. YMMV.
By proppa Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:09 am
@maze: you're saying the meters will Stay at those levels depending on if you power on the Renaissance before or after launching the software?? if so that sounds like a rather large bug .. have to wonder if this will be addressed in 1.7
By MaZe Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 am
proppa wrote:@maze: you're saying the meters will Stay at those levels depending on if you power on the Renaissance before or after launching the software?? if so that sounds like a rather large bug .. have to wonder if this will be addressed in 1.7

For me, yes, and to reiterate:

If you turn on the Ren AFTER launching the software, the sample input meter will fill up to about 3/4 of the way through and thus blowing your entire threshold.

If you turn on the Ren BEFORE launching the software, the input meter will fill to about -85.

Again, YMMV. I'm interested in seeing if this holds true for more people.
By peterpiper Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:05 am
I dled the file and IMO you don't have to worry about this noise (as long as this file wasn't recorded with the rec gain all the way down).
I bet you won't ever hear it.

Now with the display it seem that the sensitivity of it is pretty high so that you even can see the smallest values (which is the very quiet noise). I wouldn't care about the numbers showing at the threshold but rather just set the threshold to the middle of the meters. It should work well with this setting if you set the rec gain corrrect (signal nearly hit the right end of the meters)

peace
By MaZe Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:14 am
peterpiper wrote:I dled the file and IMO you don't have to worry about this noise (as long as this file wasn't recorded with the rec gain all the way down).

It was recorded with the gain at 0 and there was nothing plugged into any of the Ren's inputs at all. I was sampling whatever noise is inherent in the machine.
By peterpiper Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:44 am
ok. plug in a signal and set the rec gain as if you would usually do (nearly hit the right side of the meters), then unplug the cables and sample 1 or two seconds. Then upload it again (not normalized please).
But to be honest, I think the noise still won't be a problem. And even if this result may be a bit crucial you can still turn down the rec gain again and turn up the volume of the source (DJ mixer or whatever it is)

peace
By MaZe Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:24 am
peterpiper wrote:ok. plug in a signal and set the rec gain as if you would usually do (nearly hit the right side of the meters), then unplug the cables and sample 1 or two seconds. Then upload it again (not normalized please).
But to be honest, I think the noise still won't be a problem. And even if this result may be a bit crucial you can still turn down the rec gain again and turn up the volume of the source (DJ mixer or whatever it is)

peace

Did this and it was basically just like the the unnormalized file I uploaded previously. I guess we've come to the conclusion that the Ren picks up about -85db of noise from itself. If that's nothing to worry about, that's great. I just wanted to make sure that it's nothing to worry about and that my Ren hardware wasn't defective, at least in this instance.
By LarryB Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:11 am
when im sampling vinyl.. i'll randomly get some sort of electrical current sound, its like popping and buzzing. it fades after a little bit. its flowers retarded.

i dont understand wtf it is or why it happens but it pisses me off. i dont think there is an anwer to why this is even happening which is the worst part. i redo the same inputs into my mpc500 and the sound is fine from the turntable. so it must be because of the computer integrated aspect of it all.

if i just keep putting the needle off and on, off and on the record a whole bunch of times the sound will go away lol. im sure its an issue theyll fix in upcoming updates. but for now, the bugs in my ren..you just gotta work around them i guess. im used to buggy machines now. :roll: