Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By MaZe Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:41 pm
Trying to figure out if this is normal behavior. The Ren registers sound (noise) in sampling mode without any audio passing through the inputs. I tested this further by unplugging everything from all of the inputs, shutting monitor off, putting the gain all the way down, turning phantom off, etc., etc. and the meter still registers noise coming through the inputs. If I put the threshold to close to 0, or just enough to match the input noise level (which I can see in the meter), I am able to record it. Keep in mind again, there aren't any sound sources plugged into any of the Ren's inputs. When I do have something plugged into the Ren's inputs, the same issue occurs. I only unplugged everything to test whether or not it was noise coming from the incoming signal (mixer/turntable) or if it was something with the Ren. It's concerning because that means that there is some level of noise being mixed in with whatever I am sampling. I assume that normal behavior is for the Ren to not register any noise if nothing is being passed through the inputs. Has anyone had this issue? Is there a way to fix it?
Last edited by MaZe on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MaZe Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:48 pm
No one else has this issue? :hmmm:
By mcroepster Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:24 pm
Search the forum, lot of people had similar problems.

peace :smoker:
By MaZe Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:28 pm
mcroepster wrote:Search the forum, lot of people had similar problems.

I tried that before I posted. I put in a number of different search terms and only found one post that wasn't really addressed either.
By beatspecific Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:12 pm
I get the same thing, but don't know a solution… Anybody else?
By MaZe Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:36 pm
beatspecific wrote:I get the same thing, but don't know a solution… Anybody else?

Well, at least im not the only one? I guess...

Im beginning to think that this is "normal" behavior. Three people have mentioned this on the forums and its basically been brushed under the rug. I assume a majority of the people don't notice this issue because they are sampling into their interface and not the Ren. I want to sample into the Ren. I don't understand why the inputs are noisey without anything plugged into them. I don't want any added noise mixed into my sample.

Can anyone who samples directly into the Ren confirm that they DO NOT have this issue?
By beatspecific Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:54 pm
Like I said, I see it on the meters, but have never tried sampling on the Ren to see if it's actually producing noise. i was hoping it was just a bug with the meter and the noise wasn't being recorded along with the sample, but you're saying the sample is coming out noisy as well huh?
By mcroepster Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:00 pm
MaZe wrote:
beatspecific wrote:I get the same thing, but don't know a solution… Anybody else?

Can anyone who samples directly into the Ren confirm that they DO NOT have this issue?

I do not have this issue.

By MaZe Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:13 pm
beatspecific wrote:Like I said, I see it on the meters, but have never tried sampling on the Ren to see if it's actually producing noise. i was hoping it was just a bug with the meter and the noise wasn't being recorded along with the sample, but you're saying the sample is coming out noisy as well huh?

No, it's inaudible as far as I can hear but I don't know why the Ren would be registering audio (and a lot of it) on the meters when there is nothing plugged into the inputs or when there is no audio being passed through the inputs. I'm worried that there is some noise being added to the sample and that's why I'm asking.
By proppa Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:23 pm
@maze: if you sample into the Renaissance directly and leave a little time before or after what you're sampling is the noise you mention captured? if so how much noise is there compared to the level of the sampled audio?
By peterpiper Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:42 pm
Would be interesting what the noise sound like. Since it seem to be very quiet you could sample it -> save it as wav -> load it into an audio editor -> peak normalize it -> post it here.

Sonetimes there is no need to put some signal into the inputs to get noise ( in general, not only with the Ren). Its a unit that is connected with USB to a computer. In some cases thats enough to produce noise (caused by fans, other USB devices, graphic cards, harddrives, wlan cards etc.).
Its also possible that it isn't really there (you might hear it if you fully turn up the volume but you won't hear it in the sample because it doesn't get recorded.)

I would test it like I said above and if there is noise other than usual whitenoise I would do another test to find out the signal to noise ratio by sampling a second of a 1000kHz tone or white noise with perfect rec gain setting and 1 second silence before or after it. Theen save it and use a good audio editor to analyze how low the noise is compared to the tone. If it is more than about -70dB you should be fine and don't care about it IMO.

peace
By MaZe Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:36 pm
peterpiper wrote:Would be interesting what the noise sound like. Since it seem to be very quiet you could sample it -> save it as wav -> load it into an audio editor -> peak normalize it -> post it here.

Sonetimes there is no need to put some signal into the inputs to get noise ( in general, not only with the Ren). Its a unit that is connected with USB to a computer. In some cases thats enough to produce noise (caused by fans, other USB devices, graphic cards, harddrives, wlan cards etc.).
Its also possible that it isn't really there (you might hear it if you fully turn up the volume but you won't hear it in the sample because it doesn't get recorded.)

I would test it like I said above and if there is noise other than usual whitenoise I would do another test to find out the signal to noise ratio by sampling a second of a 1000kHz tone or white noise with perfect rec gain setting and 1 second silence before or after it. Theen save it and use a good audio editor to analyze how low the noise is compared to the tone. If it is more than about -70dB you should be fine and don't care about it IMO.

peace

I did the first part already as a test and when I normalized it, there was a ton of noise. I assumed it was whitenoise, but now I'm rethinking that. I will do it again and post it here. I'm not sure how to do the second part but perhaps you can help me after I'm done with the first part.