Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By fdodds Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:18 pm
this thread has motivated me to get into reaper more, so i'm just going to share tips as i find them.

number one, something i wanted in reaper for a long time but never bothered to look into where it was (i believe reaper has every feature you could think of, it's just a matter of googling how to do it)... the feature is individual envelopes for each clips parameter. the regular automation lanes are good for adjusting effects that run over a lot of bars, but sometimes you want to throw a quick pan edit, or accurately sculpt the volume of a clip... well if you right click an audio item and then go to Take, there are options for take volume, pan, mute and pitch envelopes, which you can then add points to and change like a normal envelope before it hits the track mixer.

these sorts of edits are non destructive, but it's often useful to render the edit destructively. you can right click and render it as a new take, and i love the take system but for simple stuff it can quickly crowd the visuals of a project when you have heaps of takes for all your different edits. Glueing an item renders the non-destructive edits that you've applied to the clip (doesn't render FX)

an added benefit of glueing an item is that it is no longer associated with the original clip that it was cut out of. that means that when you click and drag the left or right edges the clip will loop straight away. good for chopping out drum loops, find the loop, cut it out of the original clip, glue it, timestretch it to fit your bpm by just alt clicking and dragging the edge to the end of the bar, then click and drag it to loop it as long as you need.

i've always used the 's' key to split audio files, which automatically puts a small fade at the end and beginning of each split file. thats good for when you're chopping samples but it's obviously no good for cutting drums. i just found out if you hit alt + z it finds the closest zero crossing (for stereo files it finds the closest position where both channels zero cross at the same time) and then splits the files without applying a fade. very nice.

finally, hit ctrl, alt + x to bring up the media explorer which lets you audition files, and you can drag and drop files into your session from it. it shows the wave form down the bottom, you can click anywhere in it and it will audition from that point, but if you highlight an area of it you can click and drag it directly into your project and it only imports that portion.

:worthy: reaper :worthy:
By dazastah Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:03 pm
So reaper was very successful today as a live mixer for the mpc ren.. I ran my fireface uc as the audio card though.. at 64 samples..

Had eq sidechaining on samples, compression sidechaining on bass, and a quick reacomp on the whole mix to keep it tame/from clipping...

Only issue was mpc software!!! At soundcheck the **** project corrupted.... Luckily opening them one by one is all good, preserving the routing as well..

Here's a tip, smooth seek in reaper allows you to let the play marker jump at either the end of a measure,bar or region.. When enabled you can get the same effect as next sequence or song mode... IF your arranging in reaper... Regions can be assigned to midi (like goto section) thus can be triggered by pads or a midi controller..

With sws extension, the region playlist can be midi mapped as well, Allowing you to create different arrangements, and even paste them out destructively...
By fdodds Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:46 pm
I was looking through the action list and if i remember right, i think alt + 1 is automatically mapped to 'smooth seek to region 1', alt + 2 is smooth seek to region 2 etc. etc.
By pk1 Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:36 pm
DAZ :worthy:

thanks a milli man. the vid is very helpful. thanks for doing that for me. i should be getting my Ren back today. hopefully guitar center has fixed issue with volume knob. any how i don't use the sound card of reaper. i use a Motu 828mk2. i see in your last post you are running your set up threw your sound card fireface. in pilot when routing reapers outs to system this will automatically use my motu cause its set as devise within my system pref. my question is will pilot allow me to use the mpc as IN for sampling direct and allow motu for output as well?
I'm still in the wind cause my damn Ren is not here yet. with out it when i set in/out in pilot pref it won't let me choose two different sources.

thank again for all your time you put in this for us brotha.
By dazastah Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:38 pm
@pk
JAckosx uses coreaudio drivers, and i think it only can use one driver.. (unless you create a aggregate device... You would have to make aggregate device making the ren be the input device and the motu being the output device(like if you had turntables into the ren direct) When connecting in the jack pilot routing window, you need to connect system capture to mpc ren in ports. Hope that makes sense?

Let me know how you go !!
By pk1 Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:45 pm
so i have it set i see meters but no sound from reaper. just like at end of your vid?

*edit
ok so i am getting master sound its just really going out my ren, period. its ignoring the main audio card. so at this point reaper is going back out the Ren not my sound card. this is confusing me for some reason. just not wrapping the head around it.

this is nice so far. going to attempt to do a mix down from the ren
Last edited by pk1 on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By dazastah Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:03 am
You expecting sound to come from motu or ren Physically? That is the driver that should be selected in the jack pilot preferences.. Aggregate devices usually arn't that stable anyway.(syncing issues between two cards meaning more latency as well) I would if you can run either only through the ren audio card or the motu card... Which ever has the best/quickest driver latency. If through the ren you'd obviously patch it through your motu.
By Nubian Mindz Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:47 am
Another question to the Reaper experts :)

Can I control parameters in Reaper with a midi controller? i.e. the MPC Ren?

I'll give you an example:

I have the Ren set up and running through Reaper on various outs 1-16, on channels 7/8 I want to control the 'mix' knob on a reverb I have on the fx chain with midi cc data from my keyboard or external midi controller (possibly the MPC Ren?)

Is this possible?
By fdodds Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:06 pm
nubian mindz i love ya mate! you give me an excuse to test all the things i put off mucking around with the ren and reaper, but this one is truly a fkn great discovery....

well someone posted a vid in the thread for instructional videos just yesterday or something and one was about the mpc midi mode which i've never checked out since getting the ren.

well just hit shift + other and the ren goes into midi mode. in the software screen you can set all the values, min max on the pots, channels, note values and everything and it's registering in reaper for me. i think that's because i have MPC public enabled as an input. this is SO GREAT. oh man. you can be making your beat, then flip the ren to midi control mode and access all your reaper functions from the controller!!!! (once it's set up of course)

but setting stuff up in reaper is so easy it's a crime!! just go to the action list, and search for the function you want. like just then i searched for master volume, and a few options showed up but i picked the one that said (MIDI CC/OSC ONLY). you highlight the function you want to map, then just rotate the control you want to map that function to, DONE. one minor hitch with the q-links is they default to sending a note message when you touch them in midi mode so when you touch the pot it will register the wrong thing. you just need to turn touch sense to off for the q-links to set it up. it might be possible to actually map different functions to the touch sense, but it would probably trigger it every time you manipulate the pot so best to keep it turned off i reckon.

SIDENOTE i was experimenting a bit with getting the play sync to work between the ren and reaper. first you have to use the ren as a plugin in a daw, then change the settings within the plugin to DAW transport controls... that activates the optional install for the official akai internal midi port (but you can probably download the same thing seperately?). i had some trouble mucking around with getting it to work though, but i think i realised that it actually works out of the box? not really sure on that. but how i've got it set up isn't really perfect anyway. i've noticed some problems on the timing sync when tracking out multiple parts (i tracked my chops/ bass/instruments seperately, then did my drums on another pass).

using the midi mode like this i think will be the easiest way to get a rough sync between the two, i just went into midi control mode and mapped 0 on the num-pad on the ren to reapers transport:record. make sure you switch the 0 buttons behavior from momentary to toggle in the mpc software window. now i can hit 0 and playstart (thankfully the physical transport controls on the ren still control the ren's playback) at pretty much the same time, it's not a perfect sync, but it's good enough to capture the metro click in from the ren, which i can then use to sync the multiple track passes perfectly.

VERY EXCITING. i've been mixing in reaper all day so i'm pretty much done for now, but i can see i have a lot of mapping to do soon.... theres so many mappable buttons on the ren you could seriously control almost everything with the hardware alone........ this is so perfect

edit** oh yeah, and as long as your midi controller is set up as input+control in reapers midi preferences, it will work exactly as i described the ren's midi mode working, just find the function you want in the action list, add a shortcut and move the midi control you want to map it to :mrgreen:
Last edited by fdodds on Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By fdodds Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:10 pm
oh yeah nubian mindz... mapping things in reaper to controllers is easy, but the way recording parameters works is confusing to me. i'm going to have to delve into the reaper forums/wiki soon to teach myself properly how it all works... there are a LOT of different options, and none of them worked quite the way i expected them to.... so for that i'm afraid i will have to wait to see if dazastah can explain it for all of us in easy terms, either that or we're all going to have to consult the manual :lol:
By dazastah Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:44 pm
WEll.. lets say you would like to map the reverb wetdry mix to a qlink...
you can do it via here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udg74noc7lz10rb/track.gif

Right click params. You see a fx paramter list and the select learn for the specific parameter. Notice the options...

You can enable it so that it only controls the effect when the track is in focus, or when the actual effect chain is in focus.
Basically you could have reverb for each track and you can map the cursor buttons on the ren to track up and down, and the specific qlink will only effect the reverb on the selected track... If you know what i mean..

Another example mite be that the qlinks default to a parametric eq for each channel. And the last row to compression. You essentially set the ren to be a dynamic controller adjusting the eq and compression settings depending on what channel is selected.( You'd only setup one channel map everything then save that as a fx chain with the track focus option then just load each channel with that fx chain..)

Also Notice the arm envelope check box... meaning it records the changes/automation in reaper...

@Pk1.

IF you want the sound to come from The motu, You need to set jack pilot prefs to use the motu card driver. In that vid mine is set to built in soundcard That should work man!!
By fdodds Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:09 pm
the bit that throws me off with automating stuff with a controller in reaper is the global automation settings. the different settings (touch, latch, write) all act differently but not how i'd want them to. ideally with the qlinks, you would be able to have reaper output the value of the assigned param to the q-link to display previous recorded automations, then let you edit them to change things or redo stuff that wasn't smooth (like a motor fader), do you know how to set something like that up dazastah? i had a lot of trouble with one of my pieces of gear that had an auto because of this weird automation recording behavior.

i've gotten around it sort of for now, i mapped the step seq buttons and next seq buttons to global automation set to latch and global auto set to read. means i can hit a button to activate automation recording, automate the value with the qlink and then switch to read mode which i thought would show the recorded automation on the qlink leds, but it doesnt.
By dazastah Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:08 am
Ahh.. It is not feeding back.. I was reading into this. Currently studio one is the one atm that is great for this. Because it can(only what i've read) send parameter values back to a midi controller(ie led motor faders) As it stands reaper cant send auto/parameter vaules back to a midi controller unless its mcu or a control surface...(then which the extra fx inserts and what not dont update midi contrller leds and motor faders anyway)

It is a requested feature.... I believe this can be done with osc though..

I actually dont automate that much sorry!!!
By fdodds Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:46 pm
s'all good, i'll see if theres a midi to osc program i wanna use and maybe i'll find a workaround, cheers m8
By fdodds Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:18 pm
dazastah wrote:Another example mite be that the qlinks default to a parametric eq for each channel. And the last row to compression. You essentially set the ren to be a dynamic controller adjusting the eq and compression settings depending on what channel is selected

yes i have to set this up in my rearoute template.... got damn reaper continues to astound me