Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Destinite Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:16 am
I've been away for a few years, kinda lost time to make beats like I used to, but now I'm thinking of getting back to it. I had a 2000XL in the early '00s, had to sell for college related expenses. Got a 500, and when I saved up some I got a 1000 with JJ a year or so later. Few years ago I traded the 1000 in and switched to Maschine, and it felt like relearning everything from scratch, and once I sort of got the hang of it, life threw me a bunch of stuff and I no longer had time again for a few years. In that time I sold the Maschine, as it spent two years collecting dust. Now I have a lot of free time.

Now I'm seeing the Renaissance, Studio and Touch and I'm wondering if the workflow is anything similar to the old MPCs, as Maschine just felt like too much to me. I've done quite a bit of sample based stuff before, but I also have a couple of synths that I can make original music with as well. I have a powerful PC and a Surface book as well, but portability isn't really a concern aside from possibly going from my office to my living room right next door.

Which would you recommend of these three?
By MPD MPK RAY Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:25 am
The Maschine has built in beats and combining Maschine Expansions with the Komplete its the fastest MIXED sound you can get ITB. Im talkin software. NO CONTEST. The Ren gives the best TRADITIONAL MPC WORKFLOW ever. NO CONTEST. Get maschine thank me la.....AN then the REN 2 will drop! If you cant wait Maschine w Expansions anybody whisper different they slow or have a touch of downs
By Destinite Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:42 am
See, I had the machine mk2 and while it came with so much (I did like Massive), I missed the work flow I was so used to from the MPC. Is the Akai software bad?
By kaydigi Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:55 am
Destinite wrote:See, I had the machine mk2 and while it came with so much (I did like Massive), I missed the work flow I was so used to from the MPC. Is the Akai software bad?

http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpcrenaissance#downloads

download and run the 1.9 demo. It sounds like you want the Ren. If money is a issue get the Studio. The Touch is new and still has the mpc workflow but with a fast touchable interface twist.
By Destinite Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:08 am
Money isn't an issue, but what would I lose from the studio vs the Ren? Thanks for the link btw...
By richie Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:25 am
@destinite it sounds like you are leaning to the Ren man. I think whatever workflow you are comfortable with is the best lane to stay in.
By MPD MPK RAY Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:36 am
Destinite wrote:Money isn't an issue, but what would I lose from the studio vs the Ren? Thanks for the link btw...

Word. get the REN. Dont cut corners. The 1.9 software is great for people who have to drive a manual in an automatic, paddle shift world AKA legacy MPC users. More Q-links = easier chopping, scrubbing audio, control of levels, faders, etc.

The studio is like the mpc1000 where you look for the SHIFT button alot more; also no audio interface. NO GOOD.
Last edited by MPD MPK RAY on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Destinite Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:41 am
Thanks fellas. I still have my old mpc projects as well. Will the programs from the 500 and 1000 be compatible with the ren?
By MPD MPK RAY Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:43 am
im trying my 1000 prj rite now...
By MPD MPK RAY Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:49 am
O M G !!!!! WHAT HAVE I BEEN WAITING FOR???!!! IT WORKS JUST LIKE THE 1000 IN SONG MODE TOO!!!! IM OUT !! good luck thanks bro!
By MPD MPK RAY Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:00 am
kaydigi wrote:
Destinite wrote:Thanks fellas. I still have my old mpc projects as well. Will the programs from the 500 and 1000 be compatible with the ren?

You can open your 1000 project right now in the demo link I posted. Try it out!!!

please do! good stuff k!
By optik415 Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:20 am
GET THE REN! or wait till NAMM to see what else akai drops
By Destinite Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:31 am
Yeah, judging by videos I've watched and the software, it's familiar territory. I ordered the Ren. Thanks again, all!