Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Lazy Ray Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:38 pm
Hi Guys,

Been looking at Rens at the moment, and I guess I really like the whole thing. What is a fair (or cheap!) price at the moment and do you guys think it'll go more down, since it's only a 'controller' and not some piece of legendary hardware?

Regards!
By monkiusz Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:43 am
Depends on country. Here in Poland used ones goes for $400. In USA probably a lot cheaper but you need to check Ebay etc. Very good machine for what it offers comparing it’s price to MPC Live and MPC X (till you are ok without standalone mode).
By Lazy Ray Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:33 am
Ok, that's fine indeed. Maybe it'll get some cheaper in the upcomming year...

First I've found a MPC Studio for really cheap, thinking of buying that one first!
By MPC-Tutor Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:45 am
Just bear in mind that the 'bluescreen' hardware UI may not see any further updates. The UI implementation for MPC 2.0 is bare minimum IMO, no audio track editing, lots of things still not fixed from the 1.x software (e.g. naming from the hardware, loading folders etc). I'm not convinced Akai are going to put resources into developing the bluescreen UI any further. While the Studio is not officially discontinued, I cant remember the last time I saw Akai actively promoting it.
By monkiusz Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:48 am
That's true, it's no longer possible to work without looking at a big screen but that's a controller anyway. And I prefer a lot- knobs and buttons on MPC Ren instead of working on touchable screens in newest versions.
Last edited by monkiusz on Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lazy Ray Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:32 pm
So you guys think they'll only develop for the stand alone units?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:15 pm
Lazy Ray wrote:So you guys think they'll only develop for the stand alone units?

The MPC Software will be developed but I doubt the bluescreen UI for the Ren/Studio will see much, if any, attention. The features will all be there in the mpc software so if you work directly in the computer you can use them all you wish, but you might not be able to access them from the hardware screen, just like 'Audio Edit' is ATM.

Remember, audio tracks were the headline feature of 2.0, but in the bluescreen UI you can't actually access the audio track for editing, so you have to move over to the computer UI. Why is that? Perhaps technical complications, but SAMPLE EDIT seems to have no problem offering waveform editing, so I would have thought at least a rudamentary way of editing the audio track should be possible, just like it was on the MPC5000. However, they didn't implement it. Perhaps it's coming, but for a paid upgrade you kind of expect it to be there upon release.

Ultimately the Ren/Studio are old products, IMO it doesn't make too much sense for Akai to put any more time into them.

Doesn't mean they are not worth buying though, just be conscious that they might never see any more hardware UI updates.
By Lazy Ray Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:44 pm
Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I guess when you accept the limits of the unit itself, it’ll ben fine, right? Didn’t expect I could do it all without the computer screen tho...
By monkiusz Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:55 pm
Yeah, if you understand what you are buying you will be happy with it, belive me. For $400 it’s a steal comparing to what it offers vs other options. You get a few I/O options, sound card, controler with a lot of pads, knobs and buttons. It’s underrated machine IMO. But keep in mind MPC Software 2.x is a paid upgrade for Ren users.
By Lazy Ray Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:24 am
Is the 2.0 free for Studio users? What’s the future of the software? Compete with Maschine?
By MPC-Tutor Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:35 am
Lazy Ray wrote:Is the 2.0 free for Studio users? What’s the future of the software? Compete with Maschine?

It's free is you buy a new MPC Studio Black. If you buy second hand (black or silver) then you need to check with the seller to see if he a) upgraded to 2.0 and b) is willing to contact Akai to transfer the license to you.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:19 pm
Yes, the Ren hardware is certainly better than the MPC Studio - better buttons, better build, 16 qlinks, audio interface, better MIDI interface, etc etc. If it's only ever going to use it in your studio, get the Ren IMO. The MPC Studio however is great for portability, it's thin and light and doesn't need a PSU which is really handy when you are on your travels - just need a USB cable.
By Lazy Ray Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:17 pm
Bought a used Studio, with the 'old' software. Do I need him to contact to transfer the licence? He ships all the original discs with it.