Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Perrin&Tonic Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:27 pm
So, a few years ago, I sold my MPC5000 to buy the Ren. I was listening to some older tracks I cut using the 5000, and the sound quality is just great. Kicks cut through nicely.

I’m wondering if my HP laptop Im using with the Ren has anything to do with this?
Do you think a Mac would improve the sound? Or a PC with a good sound card?

Thanks
By dryad-66 Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:05 pm
Perrin&Tonic wrote:So, a few years ago, I sold my MPC5000 to buy the Ren. I was listening to some older tracks I cut using the 5000, and the sound quality is just great. Kicks cut through nicely.

I’m wondering if my HP laptop Im using with the Ren has anything to do with this?
Do you think a Mac would improve the sound? Or a PC with a good sound card?

Thanks

Ive been doing shoot outs with my recently acquired 5k and the MPC software on macbook pro.The computer has nothing to do with the sound.Your sound card does tho so use the best one you can get.Ok......the shoot out-same samples loaded in each ie the software and the 5k.So just using each mpc to just playback the same samples.The SW and the 5k use the same effects,filters ectect so you can pretty much match them,for instance eq and compression on master.And then record up a beat on each and monitor.SW through Focusrite Scarlett into ultralite Motu and same with 5k so both judged with same levels recorded for later fresh ear comparison.Results-They both sound very similar in a way which is kinda what you would expect being the same code.But the 5k had a more gelled compacted sound feel.Less digital highs (which can be added with the eg) and adds a kind of warmer,more characterful sound.More finished.The SW being a bit more throw away and a hint of cheapness (**this is not really fair but im comparing/judging with actual hardware) *Ive decided that because each are a bit different in workflow and sound characteristics i with use them both together.Problem solved.Plus with the tape mod on the pads there the best ive had. .Id like to think i dont need the big 5k as i have the macbook but i cant get over its 'hardware' feel.Plus there is a ton of features built in.And its very pleasant to work with.No complaints for me.Solid !!!!!!!! BTW-Even tho its not 24 bit and not the best quality in the land im recording a lot of material into the 5k for remixing,arranging and whole tracks too and ssending them through the master comp and eq for that compounding effect which i dont seem to be able to achieve anywhere else.Its an effect that i love.This works really well with the multitracker i found out last night.Plus use ing the chorus effect,delays.....Filters are very cool too,severe especially the high pass with q links.All this can be achieved with the software with similar almost identical results Ive never tried the ren sound card but to answer your question -upgrade your computer sound card.My Motu Ultralite hybrid mk3 has mixer built in with very cool limiter/compression and EQ that come in very handy.