Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Phillippeo Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:00 pm
Hi All,

Brand new to the forum so be gentle!

I just purchased a used MPC touch from ebay and have installed and of course have hit the "black screen" brick wall.

I have the following set up:
iMac 27 inch (mid 2010)
OSX Sierra 10.12.6
12GB Ram

I can get the Touch to respond in terms of all the lights are on, the buttons and pads all work but just no screen. It flashes up Akai logo on start up but then goes blank. The install goes as far as the "configure screen" but then times out. The machine recognises that the touch is connected so not sure if it's possible that my iMac is possibly too old?

Does any one else have experience with this set up or do most use a newer machine ie. 2011 onwards?

I've been doing full install/ uninstall for the last couple of days with no joy.

I also updated the display link driver to the latest on the displaylink website (4.3.1 for sierra)

Finally, I attempted an install on a 2011 mac book air and got as far as the screen mirroring the desktop so it's not like a faulty unit, just a config issue I think.

The only thing I cn think that might be a problem is that I run a softube console 1 mk2 and I'm not sure if this could cause a conflict as it does use a form of screen takeover when in use?

If anyone can advise on an iMac model/ year they have working and stable with the MPC Touch that would be great as I can see that once up and running this thing would be a weapon!

Thanks in advance.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:49 pm
I have a touch running on a 2012 mac mini with Sierra, I don't think your issue is in any way related to the OS or hardware. I can confirm that I often get the black screen on my touch, or it displays my desktop instead of the MPC UI. I usually have to reboot both the MPC application and the MPC Touch, and it can sometimes take a few attempts. I've never had any issues at the initial 'screen config' stage though. It could be a conflict with some other software, but you could also try a different USB cable.
By Phillippeo Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:10 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried the replacement USB cable which didn't seem to make a difference.

I also noticed when delving further in to the system, I cannot see any options re. display setup with the display link driver installed. There are no additional options to select "arragement" in displays which makes me wonder about the age of the system itself.

The way I got the mac book air to work seemed to be via airplay. The mac book air had no other software on it that could conflict.

Having spoken to Akai, they sugested downgrading to 2.3 to see if the screen would work. No joy.

Are you saying that your install is not stable (with screens going blank etc. periodically)

Thanks again for any info.