Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By mmgh Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:21 pm
Hi guys. What's up?

I recently started getting into making music again. I've used the hardware MPC's for ages (2000-2010). And used the Machine MK1 for about a year which I think was a very cheap device. It was too plasticky, the pads felt a bit cheapo and the rotary knobs were completely unusable after a while as they began to erratically changing parameters on their own. So I'm not too excited to get a MK3 or Studio, although on paper they sure look nice. I've also used the Octatrack for about 6 months and it is a hell of a step sequencer-sampler but eventually sold it because of a few key features it missed.
So I've had some experience with all of these things, and I always kind of missed the MPC workflow. The simplicity, you all know what I'm talking about. I'm sure! ;) I'm currently using Logic Pro X

There are a couple of newer MPC's on the market today. Unfortunately they all have big touch screens and that's not something I'm willing to put up with.
I have my eyes set on a second handed Renaissance atm. The hardware looks rock solid with an old school button heavy kind of workflow and I'm sure it sounds like a solid proper sampler.
However, I have literally no experience with Akai Software, except for the iMPC thing on the iPad which in all honestly is a terrible piece of software.
So I've been doing some Googling and I've been reading mixed stories about the reliability of Akai Software. What's great about these old samplers I've used (60, 3000, 4000, 5000) is the rock solid performance and tight responsiveness.
The Ren I've been offered comes with 1.9.7. I would like from you an honest opinion about the reliability of Akai Software (version 1.9.7) compared to, let's say, an MPC4000. 3rd Party VST plugins I assume are probably part of the unreliability as well as conflicting audio drivers. But if I'd use the Akai Software, I will simply disable any VST.
Also, and this is a big concern, I use a 2015 MacBook Air and it has a:
USB 3.0 Bus:
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBXHCIWPT
PCI Device ID: 0x9cb1
PCI Revision ID: 0x0003
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
I've read USB 3.0 is a major problem with the Renaissance which is mind-blowing honestly as it has been a standard for so many years.

To sum up:
Has the USB issue been fixed by Akai?
How reliable is Akai software 1.9.7?
Is the software using multiple cores properly? ->
How is performance and CPU usage overall? Considering I won't be using VST's inside of Akai Software. I will purely use the controller as it was an old hardware MPC

What I don't want, like ever, are audio drop outs, short freezes, delays when switching from sampling to program screen for no reason for example, pads triggering too late (inconsistent latency), glitches and all the unpleasant computer stuff like total crash to desktop etc...
While the Machine hardware was a komplete let down, the software was rock solid and never even glitched for a millisecond during a year of use.

Thanks a lot
By mmgh Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:59 am
Also, a quick question about the chord progression converter: If I have a trained piano player come over and have him play some chord progressions in the software, I can easily convert these into chord sets, which is a great little feature. Are these chords, if I trigger them with the pads, as played by the pianist? Meaning: do these notes still have varying velocities? Or has every note got a fixed velocity and are they all snapped to a perfect grid? So basically, do they lose the feel from as how they were played originally?

One more question about nudging notes back and forth:
There isn't any in depth seq editor on the hardware as far as I can tell. But what I would like to do on the hardware is to select an event with combo of pad + transport controls and then nudge this event with the jog wheel. Is this possible?
Also what is the sequencer resolution? Since it is a "renaissance", I'm hoping 96 ppqn?
By eLuSiVeMiTe Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:58 am
Got mine about 3 weeks ago.
Had a few crashes but all related to vst (serum and some jbridged imagle line plugins.) Other than those it's been bomb proof

Re progressions.
Haven't played with them much but editing the velocities is easy as an afterthought from the piano roll