Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By BreedSoulMusic Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:31 pm
I've noticed a huge influx of MPC Renaissance for sale on Ebay. I've always liked the look and feel of the Renaissance since I come from the MPC 60 II era. Do you think Akai will release an updated Renaissance? I know the X is to my knowledge the Renaissance replacement but it just doesn't sit well with me. I want to purchase the Ren but I don't want something that will be obsolete in a few months. Any thoughts.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:16 pm
The MPC Renaissance is long discontinued, you'll notice it's no longer listed on the Akai web site (it's in the 'legacy' section). Support for its required driver is most likely non existent as well - it certainly doesn't work with the latest Mac OS, for example.

Akai don't appear to be making any new controllers, everything seems to be standalone & controller hybrids like the Live/One/X. But if they do make a controller I suspect it would be a touchscreen one like the MPC Touch rather than these old style blue screen ones, which don't/cannot support many of the newer features (e.g. XYFX, grid editing, etc).

So the reason the Ren is all over Ebay is that it is a dead, legacy unit, 8 years old and no longer guaranteed to work on new computers. This was always going to be the problem with these controller MPCs, they are 100% reliant on Akai continuing to support the drivers needed to communicate with the target computer. You really are better off looking at one of the newer standalone units, which can be used with a computer if required, but will always work independently standalone.
By unready Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:33 pm
Love my Ren on Win 10, running on Ryzen 3900, no problems whatsoever, everything runs smooth. Even though the unit is discontinued, it still gets new features with every update of MPC Software, certainly doesn't feel like it's retired. I hope it stays that way for some time :)
By trakkcity Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:12 am
I've also seen people selling for standalone but I don't get it. You lose all vst functionality which I need. Not trying to hook to a computer to finish the best. To me that defeats the purpose. I may start my track with some keys from nexus. Can't do that with any standalone mpc. So I have a suggestion. Kind of a question. What do you all think about a surface pro x linked to my ren? That would give you the mpc ren form factor, touch screen and vst capabilities. To me that a beast "standalone" setup. What do you guys think?