Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By dutterback707 Sat May 01, 2021 6:31 pm
I used to use my MPC Renaissance with an older MacBook (2011 era). However, that computer died and I decided to get a new MacBook that came with macOS Catalina. The problem is that there are no Renaissance drivers for Catalina. This means i can't use the Renaissance as an interface and can't be selected as as the computer's input/output. The biggest drawback is that I can't hook up a record player and sample vinyl.

I've called Akai support and they told me to check this link for driver updates:

https://inmusicbrands.force.com/akaipro ... r-Akai-Pro

It's been months and they haven't made the Renaissance compatible with Catalina. The person I talked on the phone said Akai was working very hard to get this issue fixed. I didn't believe that when I heard it and I especially don't believe that now.

It's obvious what Akai is doing. Why make the older MPC Renaissance compatible with Catalina, if there is a newer MPC on the market that is compatible? They're simply ignoring the issue so I am left with no choice but to purchase a new MPC with Catalina support. My Renaissance still works. It seems silly to go buy a new MPC, when all I need is Akai to stop being shady and update the damn drivers. Catalina's been out since 2019, so how can support tell me they're "working hard" to get it resolved? I've heard something about booting an older OS from a flash drive or something, but why should I have to do that? I bought this MPC for $700 and I just want it to work on this operating system. Is that too much to ask?
By J.D. Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:05 pm
Sadly it seems to be true, even when it‘s literally not hard to compile new drivers, if you have the sourcecode to them and the technical documentation of the device…
Why they don‘t just opensource the drives is beyond me. Akai is a f‘ed up company with cool decices… The policy to throw old things in the trash and buy new ones is so messed up, especially today…

You can still install Windows 10 on your Mac (if it‘s still an intel-Mac) and use the ren with that.
I use an old MacBook for the ren, or just use it as a controller.
Also, a cheap Windows Notebook does the trick, even though the MPC Software doesn‘t work very well with 10 inch-Laptops).
By peterkane947 Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:16 am
Roxmooth wrote:I'm using the Ren on a Mac running Catalina../Users/roxmacmini/Desktop/Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 8.42.27 PM.png

But how did you accomplish this ? my Ren just scrolls the demo lighting while plugged in to my macbook and while software is open....

plus i click on ilok and my ilok is shaded out, because my ilok is plugged in to the MPC...
like i am curious to know how you did it ? or was it already installed from an earlier OS like High Sierra ?
By closetgeek Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:07 pm
Just to chime in on some comments above, I'm not sure if it's fair to expect Akai to opensource the Renaissance drivers because of their proprietary MIDI communications for features such as the LCD and knob level indicators. It would be nice, and no doubt many of us would find useful ways to add features, but that's expecting a bit much all things considered.

However I'm sort of disappointed to see that Akai has not updated the drivers themselves. Sadly, this practice forces users to replace older (yet still relevant) products with newer models, which is a shame because not all mac users have deep pockets. "Just revert to an older version" doesn't cut it because other tools (such as Apples Xcode) require newer macos versions.

This makes me question how much I should invest into Akai products. I don't want to buy hardware which would otherwise be useful for many years just to have to toss it - and no reselling it isn't fair because it puts the new owner in the same position. What then - lawn art? I get it, a truly happy and satisfied customer might go years without returning for newer products because they are still happy with previous purchases, but the answer to this dilemma is not to force them.

At this point the future outlook for MPC product is questionable unless your ready to keep buying more.
By KazzuaL Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:54 am
Currently having this issue on my 2015 MacBook Pro i7. My lab has been down for a while so once I got everything plugged up I spent a few days checking the compatibility of the current stuff to avoid this. Akai says 3.3.11 is the current driver and it’s supported. The Ren still works with my previous Mac running 2.9.X but I have plug ins that need Catalina or newer so I had to update/upgrade. Its was working fine until recently. I really don’t want to buy another MPC. What version drivers are you running??
By ProperDos Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:55 pm
peterkane947 wrote:
Roxmooth wrote:I'm using the Ren on a Mac running Catalina../Users/roxmacmini/Desktop/Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 8.42.27 PM.png

But how did you accomplish this ? my Ren just scrolls the demo lighting while plugged in to my macbook and while software is open....

plus i click on ilok and my ilok is shaded out, because my ilok is plugged in to the MPC...
like i am curious to know how you did it ? or was it already installed from an earlier OS like High Sierra ?

He prob meant that it works as a midi controller but doesnt work as a audio interface still
By pk1 Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:09 pm
I too am interested in this info. i haven't been on my Ren in years. was going to update the mac pro soon. and was needing to know what worked still.
Im still running a Mid 2012 Mac Pro
w/ 2 2.4ghz 6 cores Xeon
64G Ram
1Tb sd as OS drive
with a radeon RX 580

iTunes doesn't sink anymore and software is starting to not be abled to load. from what little research i did this morning on the forums is i may have to stick with this as my Ren machine...

Any info from you heads that have kept up would be rad.
I haven't been banging on the pads in a few years..
By SakisX Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:44 pm
Poopydiscoop wrote:Im currently in the market for a new computer after using my Renaissance as a midi over the past few years. What computer/software is needed for my Renaissance to be a audio interface again?

I guess you had a Mac, you could install Windows 10

pk1 wrote:I too am interested in this info. i haven't been on my Ren in years. was going to update the mac pro soon. and was needing to know what worked still.
Im still running a Mid 2012 Mac Pro
w/ 2 2.4ghz 6 cores Xeon
64G Ram
1Tb sd as OS drive
with a radeon RX 580

iTunes doesn't sink anymore and software is starting to not be abled to load. from what little research i did this morning on the forums is i may have to stick with this as my Ren machine...

Any info from you heads that have kept up would be rad.
I haven't been banging on the pads in a few years..

Same, try installing windows 10