Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By jpeg Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:03 pm
was thinking it might well be a classic despite all the hate it initially received of it being just a controller with no guts when u look at the impact and how widely adopted it was; do u now look back at it as a classic?

I know big jaw Dan lied about the hardware emulation; I think if they actually did have that; it would of been a sure shot from the outset.
By Lampdog Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:29 pm
I don't know any controller (only) considered to be a classic. Legacy gear I understand but, classic gear.. idk
By DokBrown Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:05 pm
“classic”
YES – for hybrid setups it was a game changer. This was AKAI’s counterpunch to maschine. I’ve seen modded out UNITS with custom paint jobs.

NO – it will never have the same status as a 3000 or 4000. Check the MPC comparison forums.

The big ? I have is does it work well with the latest MPC software ??? as the software changes dramatically, this unit could suffer a lot. I keep my APC40 mk1 around but PUSH is clearly the way to go for ableton nowadays. ABLETON People are dumping the APCs which is why I got another one for my MPC midi map template.
By NearTao Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:06 pm
Not sure I'd say the Ren will ever be considered classic since it is tied to a computer... but what do I know?

I'd think that controllers that have something unique to them like the Akai flute, Roger Linn multi touch controller, Roli Seaboard... stuff that's unique... might get that status... but I'm not sure that the Ren has something super unique to it. Again... what do I know though :D
By Bezo Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:12 pm
I don't think enough folks still use it for it to be considered a classic. How many folks are seeking these units out compared to 2, 3 & 4Ks?
By jpeg Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:07 am
Bezo wrote:I don't think enough folks still use it for it to be considered a classic. How many folks are seeking these units out compared to 2, 3 & 4Ks?

interesting point but does the 2nd hand market dictate which units are considered classics tho?

or is it just all Nu-Akai shit is non-classic? cos maybe the 1K is classic too with JJOS
By J.D. Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:37 am
Well I live my Ren… also, I bought it just two years ago…

If AKAI would open up and relaese full Documents and Sorcecodes of the unit, so opensource Drivers could be maintained and the Device could be used in Linux and modern macOS, maybe it would keep a status as usable cool controller, but classic, as in MPC2000XL or MPC3000 the Ren will never be…

I personally would love to mod it with a RaspberryPi to build a standalone MPC out of the Ren… But that will never happen, AKAI just abandons old hardware… Sad but true.
By jpeg Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:50 pm
J.D. wrote:Well I live my Ren… also, I bought it just two years ago…

If AKAI would open up and relaese full Documents and Sorcecodes of the unit, so opensource Drivers could be maintained and the Device could be used in Linux and modern macOS, maybe it would keep a status as usable cool controller, but classic, as in MPC2000XL or MPC3000 the Ren will never be…

I personally would love to mod it with a RaspberryPi to build a standalone MPC out of the Ren… But that will never happen, AKAI just abandons old hardware… Sad but true.

what made u go for the Ren instead of the MPC X?
By J.D. Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:12 pm
jpeg wrote:
J.D. wrote:Well I live my Ren… also, I bought it just two years ago…

what made u go for the Ren instead of the MPC X?

I bought the Ren because the X costst 1760€... Also, the Ren did all I wanted it to do.
I upgraded from the MPC Studio to the Ren.
I work mainly with Logic and as an addition the Software-Driven MPCs are well enough.
Now, since I just bought an M1 MacBook Pro and the Ren doesn't work with that, I maybe will uprade to an MPC One or Live... I'll see.