Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By jpeg Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:52 pm
like the touch strip and the new button style; think it looks good but the old studio black was a classic design, so its a bit of a conflict, but defo the addition of the touch strip should hopefully find it s way onto future mpcs's as one area where the mpc lacks is in live performance tactile hands on features imo
By idk973 Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:08 am
Maybe this new layout prepare us to the next mk3 standalone but For my type of workflow, the qlinks are more useful than a touch band.
By Ultros Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:57 pm
Why even buy this monstrosity? For like $130 (canadian so like 100 usd) you can just buy the mpd-218. If one is already pointing and clicking mouse style via a pc wtf's the difference. Dont waste your money on a frickin *controller* of all things.
By kaydigi Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:30 pm
Ultros wrote:Why even buy this monstrosity? For like $130 (canadian so like 100 usd) you can just buy the mpd-218. If one is already pointing and clicking mouse style via a pc wtf's the difference. Dont waste your money on a frickin *controller* of all things.

This has more dedicated buttons than the MPD 218.
By NearTao Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:35 pm
It looks to be far more integrated than just a midi controller, so I wouldn't write it off so easily. While I'm not in the target market for this device, given the ecosystem of One -> Live -> X, it totally make sense to make something that builds upon the software and is an opportunity to drive future customers upstream into their market. Plus, I suspect that there are some design choices made here to test out future up market products whether that will be a mk2/mk3 revision of the One/Live/X or if it is a whole new product line.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:51 pm
Akai are not giving up on the MPC Software, they've clearly identified a market out there that they really want to tap into, but so far I believe it's eluding them. They've tried pushing it to third party controllers (I don't think there was much interest), they've tried using MPC Beats (seems pretty quiet on that front), so I think the new MPC Studio is another way of trying to appeal to a certain type of producer. For them there's no complex hardware screen UI to code for, and perhaps no need for a custom driver making updates easier, so it's probably quite a painless experiment.
By Straker Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:08 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Akai are not giving up on the MPC Software, they've clearly identified a market out there that they really want to tap into, but so far I believe it's eluding them. They've tried pushing it to third party controllers (I don't think there was much interest), they've tried using MPC Beats (seems pretty quiet on that front), so I think the new MPC Studio is another way of trying to appeal to a certain type of producer. For them there's no complex hardware screen UI to code for, and perhaps no need for a custom driver making updates easier, so it's probably quite a painless experiment.

Yeah that makes sense a lot.
And then, you put a tablet on it and it's a standalone, so it's also a good way to check for new standalones improvements.
But still I ask myself why they removed qlinks, which is a consistent part of any Mpc.
Ok, there is a touch strip which is also a good idea, but qlinks are 4 (or 8 ), touch strip is 1.
So it's a downgrade from current Mpc line.
By ace_of_dub Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:25 pm
:WTF:
MPC-Tutor wrote:Akai are not giving up on the MPC Software, they've clearly identified a market out there that they really want to tap into, but so far I believe it's eluding them. They've tried pushing it to third party controllers (I don't think there was much interest), they've tried using MPC Beats (seems pretty quiet on that front), so I think the new MPC Studio is another way of trying to appeal to a certain type of producer. For them there's no complex hardware screen UI to code for, and perhaps no need for a custom driver making updates easier, so it's probably quite a painless experiment.

What's eluding Akai is that MPC Software's interface on a computer screen is terrible. It's fine on touch display but it's an horror to without it. That MPC studio mk2 doesn't change that, on The contrary, it's even more reliant on the computer screen than the mk1. Akai needs to rework that interface. Don't get me started about it on a small laptop display...