Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By pwnda Fri May 06, 2022 8:06 am
I have been trying to find out if this combination is possible and have not come across anything firm either way.. iMPC claims to be able to work with ANY class compliant USB controller (MPC Studio is AFAIK) but there does not seem to be anyone using the combo.

Any ideas?

(Not that it matters right now as my studio 2 has reached max number of registrations and I am hoping that InMusic can resolve)
By MPC-Tutor Fri May 06, 2022 8:18 am
I believe the Mk 2 can function as a very basic, non-editable and very gimped generic MIDI controller so if you connect it to your ipad via USB it should in theory provide some kind of MIDI control (pads only I believe, no Qlinks), but ultimately you'd be significantly better off with a proper MIDI controller than you can reconfigure as required. Just grab an MPK or MPD (which ironically provide better integration with the MPC Software than the Studio Mk 2 in many respects...).

Your MPC Software registrations are irrelevant BTW, that's purely for authorizing the MPC Software on two computers. You'd be free to connect the Studio hardware to your ipad, iMPC isn't the MPC Software.
By pwnda Fri May 06, 2022 9:57 am
Thanks for the super quick reply.
I am looking to run MPC2.0 on my Mac ideally - just wanted to see if there was a possible combo with my iPad too.

Can't currently use it on my Mac as I can't get the (2.0) software and was just being impatient! :D
will not bother with the iMPC at £22..
By Trensharo Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:20 am
The MPC Range of products are only mappable within the MPC Software, or when used standalone.

The MPC Studio is designed to be used with the MPC Software (Standalone or Plug-in). Outside of that, they are practically unusable.

Only get the Studio MK2 if you are all in with using the MPC 2 Software.

If you want a Controller that works well with software and is mappable to 3rd-party applications: Maschine Mikro or Maschine MK3. PreSonus ATOM may also work (very budget choice). Also, MIDI Controllers with 16 Pads (Oxygen Pro, KeyLab MKII, LaunchKey MK3, etc.) may be good enough - not very iPad-friendly, though.

If you want a Controller that works well with software and is mappable to 3rd party applications, but also works well with an iPad: Nektar Aura Beat Composer - probably the more optimal choice, since it can also run off of AC power.

I disagree with the following statement:

Just grab an MPK or MPD (which ironically provide better integration with the MPC Software than the Studio Mk 2 in many respects...).

Outside of having more rotary knobs to be used as QLinks, these controllers are not even in the same realm of integration as the Studio MK2 with the MPC Software. The Studio is far, far superior. I don't even think the extra QLinks can even come close to making up the deficit, frankly. It is that huge.

The MPC Studio MK2 is basically an MPC One in Controller Mode with less Q Links and the large display removed. Neither the MPK nor the MPD are even in the same realm of production quality of integration with the MPC software. The MPDs are notorious for inconsistencies in production quality.

And that's ignoring the far superior pads and triggers on the controller.

I'm flabbergasted someone would make such a statement. It's demonstrably false.

If you want a controller that will work well with MPC Software and be usable with an iPad, you should go with the Aura Beat Composer and map it yourself. If you're content with using a PC but want to be able to use the controller with other DAWs, then Maschine is better. Aforementioned, the PreSonus ATOM is cheap and may work, as well.

Again, MPC Studio MK2 is for people who are all in with the MPC Software.

I actually think the lack of a controller editor is a massive competitive disadvantage for Akai, and something they probably should reconsider. The controller costs too much to be limited in this way (I own one, but it costs as much as an Oxygen Pro 49 that also has 16 Pads and all the DAW Controls/Note Repeat/Theory Features/etc.

Ironically, the Oxygen Pro line is broken with MPC 2 because Akai's MIDI Map doesn't seem to work. the controllers are about as usable as a KeyStation with the MPC Software. Not even the transport controls work properly, and the pads are don't map correctly (you need to set all your drum programs to Chromatic). The faders and rotary knobs are basically useless.

On the flip side, and actually ironic, their Native Instruments MIDI Maps are flawless.

If you have any relatively recent laptop, I would use that over any iPad that doesn't have an M1 SoC, anyways.
By MPC-Tutor Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:18 pm
Trensharo wrote:
Just grab an MPK or MPD (which ironically provide better integration with the MPC Software than the Studio Mk 2 in many respects...).

The MPC Studio MK2 is basically an MPC One in Controller Mode with less Q Links and the large display removed. Neither the MPK nor the MPD are even in the same realm of production quality of integration with the MPC software. The MPDs are notorious for inconsistencies in production quality.

And that's ignoring the far superior pads and triggers on the controller.

I'm flabbergasted someone would make such a statement. It's demonstrably false.

Lol, well I like to think I know what I'm talking about, I've owned a few MPCs over the years and wrote the odd book or two about them :)

IMO the MPC Studio Mk 2 offers very poor integration with the MPC Software; it's threadbare and what integration is there is convoluted to the extreme. In practical use it offers very little benefit over an MPK and compares very poorly to an MPC One in controller mode. Have you ever used an MPC One? Saying it's basically an MPC One 'without the screen and Qlinks' is ignoring two of the most useful features of an MPC Software controller, it's like saying a bicycle is the same as a car except for, the engine, 4 wheels, 5 seats, engine and a boot.

As I said, 'in many respects' an MPD/K provides better integration - the Q-links are a biggie, you can't just casually dismiss this - this is an elephant in the room when it comes to the MPC Studio 2, as is the lack of useful screen. It's a large step backwards from the original MPC Studio, I really struggle to see what the thinking was behind the Mk2, other than to create a product that frustrates people enough to make them want to buy an MPC One instead. I mean, no Q-links? What next for the Mk 3? No pads?

BTW, inconsistencies in production quality are not just an MPK/D thing, have a read around the forum. And the pads on my MPK249 are just as good and responsive as those on the Studio mk2, which in turn are nothing particularly special in the grand scheme of things.