Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By funkycoldmedina Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:14 pm
So I'm circling back on something from a few years ago...I've still been keeping my macbook pro on OSX 10.10.5, *only* so I can keep running MPC software 1.9.7 (using a Ren btw), because word was at the time that if you upgraded to 2.0 you would actually lose all of your previous MPC projects. Like the projects are not compatible with 2.0 or something. Did anyone ever have experience with that happening to them? The rest of my computer is being held hostage because of this.

Asking mainly because I'm looking at getting a new macbook pro within the next couple months or so. Obv I don't want to lose all my projects. Does anyone have suggestions on how I should handle this? Maybe I should do bootcamp partition on the new computer so I can keep running the old OSX 10.10.5 on the side for when I need to access my old projects? (I do very much need these projects for work).

Any insight would be much appreciated! Thanks!
By Telefunky Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:00 am
A new Macbook Pro runs on ARM CPUs (M1 etc) on chipsets called „Apple Silicon“.
The Ren and Studio aren‘t compatible with that environment and there are no plans to ever change this.
Bootcamp is a feature to run Windows native on Macs, it‘s not for a different version of MacOS and it’s also not supported by Apple anymore.

Your best option (imho) is to run both old and new MacBooks side by side with the Ren connected to your current one.
You may run MPC Software 2 and above on the new MacBook, without control from the Ren.

But you can install a low latency audio/midi connection between both MacBooks by an iConnectAudio 2+ or 4+ interface (2nd hand, $100-200).
This interface has a double host feature, which means it serves 2 computers simultaneously, just as if each device had it‘s own interface.
It supports software channels between DAWs of each computer, up to 20mono, 10 stereo and a ton of midi channels.

This way you could pass multiple channels from MPC 1.9 to 2.x in live mode (if that‘s an option for you).
I have an iCA4+ since years, atm connected to a MacMini (Snow Leopard) with MPC Studio 1.2 and a current MacMini M1 (Monterey). Used it also to connect an iPad to Pro Tools or a Windows DAW etc. It‘s very versatile and robust.
(the only flaw is a „not so intuitive“ control software, but at least it performs great) :Sigh:

sorry for no better news...
By MPC-Tutor Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:27 am
funkycoldmedina wrote:I've still been keeping my macbook pro on OSX 10.10.5, *only* so I can keep running MPC software 1.9.7 (using a Ren btw), because word was at the time that if you upgraded to 2.0 you would actually lose all of your previous MPC projects. Like the projects are not compatible with 2.0 or something. Did anyone ever have experience with that happening to them? The rest of my computer is being held hostage because of this.

Not sure where you heard that, it's complete nonsense. Of course 1.9 projects load in MPC 2, they'll also load in the latest MPC 2.11 no problem. The issues begin when you start going backwards, not forwards.

So, in terms going for MPC Software 2.x, you will not lose your projects. Go for it (BTW you can install the MPC Software 2 trial and test some projects with it).

In terms of Mac hardware, the Ren is not compatible with new silicon macs, so just forget this immediately. You'll need a s/h intel mac. Not sure what OS is the best for the Ren these days, but you'll definitely be fine with Mojave or catalina. MPC Software currently works fine on Mojave (although apparently not officially supported any more), but will not work on anything earlier.

Brutal truth is that the Ren was always going to suffer from this issue, it relies 100% on Akai maintaining the drivers. But this is eventually going to be an issue for any modern MPC if you ever wish to work in controller mode (but at least you'll always have standalone mode on something like the One or Live 2).

So really there's no limits on new Mac hardware if you just need the MPC Software (note, I haven't tested in M2, but just about to test in M1 Pro this weekend).

If you are determined to stick with the Ren, get a s/h intel. But IMO bite the bullet and get a One or Live 2.
By funkycoldmedina Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:16 pm
Thanks for the replies! I believe I first encountered that rumor (about losing project files when upgrading to 2.0) somewhere in this forum. I'll have to do a deep search to see if I can find those posts. I love to hear that you think that rumor is b.s, and I really hope you're right!

So it seems to me like the only thing to do is a full Time Machine backup, then migrate everything to the new computer and see if/how those MPC projects load in the newer version of the software (which I will obtain).

Is it not possible to run two different OS's on one Mac? I guess that's a question for Apple-I'll investigate.

As far as the hardware issue goes-I'm not too worried. I'll be getting a One or an X eventually. Thanks!
By Lampdog Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:48 pm
I was gonna suggest a full time machine backup and then try a virtual machine. Load everything into that and test.

I do shit with several diff virtual machine's on my pc when I don’t wanna take a chance messing up my original win 10 host.
By Telefunky Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:23 pm
funkycoldmedina wrote:... Is it not possible to run two different OS's on one Mac? I guess that's a question for Apple-I'll investigate. ...

Originally you could do this either by multiple partitions or by booting an external drive.
(there was a Boot Drive control panel that listed available drives it considered „valid“)
But changes of filesystem, graphic hardware and CPU architecture restrict possible OS versions for a certain Mac model.

For example my old MacMini was used mostly in „High Sierra“, but lacked the hardware needed for the Metal graphic environment that later OS versions require. But I could downgrade it to Snow Leopard.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:34 pm
funkycoldmedina wrote:I believe I first encountered that rumor (about losing project files when upgrading to 2.0) somewhere in this forum. I'll have to do a deep search to see if I can find those posts. I love to hear that you think that rumor is b.s, and I really hope you're right!

I don't think it's b.s., I know it's b.s. :) Just think about it logically, why would Akai ever make older projects incompatible with the latest update? Makes no sense.

As someone who regularly used 1.9 projects in MPC 2, I can categorically state that they load fine. For a long time I made my expansions compatible with 1.9 and 2.x, and to do that I had to create them in 1.9 and then test them in 2.x. There's no issues at all.

Either way, just install the trial and test a few of your own 1.9 projects in 2.11. You can always uninstall and go back to 1.9 if you wish. Just test with copies of the original projects. There's literally no way you can mess up anything.