Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By huh? Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:24 pm
I saw someone selling a MPC Studio (silver) for $120 around my area and I was just wondering if you guys think it's a good buy today? I come from the MPC3000 which I've been on for 14 years but just wanted to tap on something new. Thanks
By Lampdog Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:24 am
Get X and be happy!
Especially with the 16 q-links!!
By Telefunky Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:29 am
I have one running Essentials 1.2 (from the DVD) on a MacMini (2012) under OSX 10.6.
It can get along 95% with only the internal display, but the computer screen can be handy at times for file and sequencer handling.
(ignoring plugin and DAW like features, which aren‘t extensive in that version yet and in which I weren’t interested at all...)
Add some woodwork... and Studio, MacMini and an interface would fit in a single housing, equivalent to a classic standalone unit for bargain. 8)

But screen activity had at least some influence on timing. Running the Studio with an (admittedly underpowered) Dell Win 8 tablet was completely useless.
Operating the Studio with the sequencer window minimized was great, though.

I liked it enough to quickly get a „real“ MPC, and scored an affordable 4k for it‘s additional sampler features and Adat connectivity. The learning curve keeps me busy atm and the Studio is sitting on the shelf, but I‘ll keep it.

I have 2 DAWs with hardware DSP extensions (Pro Tools TDM and Creamware Scope), hence a low VST affinity, but recent releases by https://polyversemusic.com/ made me reconsider this.
Since the Studio doesn‘t run on Apple Silicon (and never will), a powerful desktop might apply in that case.
(when I tested plugins on MPC software 2.x, Newfangled Audio‘s Pendular almost brought the old Mini down and the Polyverse stuff is probably even more demanding)

Imho the plugins above are a new (or inspiring) approach to audio processing and would fit the MPC style greatly. :smoker:
(at least 2 classes above Air releases... ) :mrgreen:
By huh? Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:51 am
Lampdog wrote:Get X and be happy!
Especially with the 16 q-links!!

MPC X? Nah that’s too big (that’s what she said) :lol: I would if I saw one for a steal price
By huh? Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:52 am
Telefunky wrote:I have one running Essentials 1.2 (from the DVD) on a MacMini (2012) under OSX 10.6.
It can get along 95% with only the internal display, but the computer screen can be handy at times for file and sequencer handling.
(ignoring plugin and DAW like features, which aren‘t extensive in that version yet and in which I weren’t interested at all...)
Add some woodwork... and Studio, MacMini and an interface would fit in a single housing, equivalent to a classic standalone unit for bargain. 8)

But screen activity had at least some influence on timing. Running the Studio with an (admittedly underpowered) Dell Win 8 tablet was completely useless.
Operating the Studio with the sequencer window minimized was great, though.

I liked it enough to quickly get a „real“ MPC, and scored an affordable 4k for it‘s additional sampler features and Adat connectivity. The learning curve keeps me busy atm and the Studio is sitting on the shelf, but I‘ll keep it.

I have 2 DAWs with hardware DSP extensions (Pro Tools TDM and Creamware Scope), hence a low VST affinity, but recent releases by https://polyversemusic.com/ made me reconsider this.
Since the Studio doesn‘t run on Apple Silicon (and never will), a powerful desktop might apply in that case.
(when I tested plugins on MPC software 2.x, Newfangled Audio‘s Pendular almost brought the old Mini down and the Polyverse stuff is probably even more demanding)

Imho the plugins above are a new (or inspiring) approach to audio processing and would fit the MPC style greatly. :smoker:
(at least 2 classes above Air releases... ) :mrgreen:

So you don’t recommend the MPC Studio?
By Telefunky Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:16 am
It depends on what that „new“ you want to tap on means.

If it‘s MPC software 2.x and later then no recommendation.
(the unit is considered obsolete by Akai and they swept the internet from copies of the Studio’s Essential software rather thoroughly)

Both the old Essentials and current MPC software suffer from sequencer screen activity while playback, if the computer doesn‘t provide enough juice.
Editing on the big screen is great, though.

Quality VST or AU plugins in MPC software added a heavy load. In my case a single instance of the Pendular monosynth (Newfangled Audio) showed up to 85% CPU iirc.
(rendering the Core Duo 2.5 Ghz completely useless for plugins)
A powerful Xeon or i7 certainly will make a difference but I dunno how much :hmmm:

If you like the DAW style of the current MPC software (check by downloading the free „Beats“ version), then Studio isn‘t supported as a controller any more.

Otherwise (with it‘s old software) a Studio for 120 bucks is a no brainer imho.
Fakes a classic MPC really well and adds great editing screens and file handling.
By huh? Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:50 am
Is 1.9 still available to download? Because that’s what version I wanna use. And I would be using it standalone (not in a DAW). I don’t really touch many 3rd party plugins, so mostly using the stock plugins it comes with. Has the Studio ever crashed on you?
By Telefunky Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:33 am
It‘s probably still somewhere on the Akai / inmusicbrands site, but this link looks ok...
https://softdeluxe.com/MPC-Essentials-3085834/download/

You‘ll have to register the Studio with Akai and if your hardware serial number has exceeded it’s max installations, support has to reset the counter.
Which they normally do within a day, my experience with them was really good.

I don‘t remember any crashes of the Studio software.
The install result may be confusing initially, iirc parts were in a hidden folder and/or content was default in program data.
(it was a bit tricky to find)