Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By WavyJonez19 Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:51 pm
Hello, first, thank you for help.

I would like to know what the Automation: Write/Rewrite button does? I'll go first by making the assumption that it records the actions, parameters and pads while recording on write option, if I am correct.

Second question is what does Sidechain mean? How do you use it? And what would be any advice on using it the best?

Mastering/Mixing: I don't know how to mix properly, I typically use the "Air Music Technology" plug-in over the Akai Professional ones. But is it better to add a plug-in on the program as a whole or individual pads. I generally use the plug-in presets and not mix/tamper much with the leveling or adjustments. Also any advice in this respect I would greatly appreciate it. I don't like how my drums sound some times because they don't sound naturally as a good as what the contemporary music I listen to puts out. I get sample packs from "The Drum Broker".

Thanks for reading this long task. If anyone attempts to respond I greatly appreciate it, I am forever grateful. Take care and enjoy your morning/afternoon/evening/night. :worthy:
By NearTao Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:16 pm
WavyJonez19 wrote:I would like to know what the Automation: Write/Rewrite button does? I'll go first by making the assumption that it records the actions, parameters and pads while recording on write option, if I am correct.

You're roughly in the right ballpark, though perhaps you should read the manual? The button toggles between automation (Q-Link) "read-only" and "record to track" modes... it doesn't record pad events... though it *might* record aftertouch automation... I forget. Again... manual is your friend here, especially since you haven't really expressed what it is exactly that you're looking to record or what process you're trying to do.

WavyJonez19 wrote:Second question is what does Sidechain mean? How do you use it? And what would be any advice on using it the best?

Sidechaining is a way to automate a compressor on one channel, traditionally with the "envelope" of another. If you've ever heard bass pumping in response to a drum track, this is the effect, the drum's volume/presence pushes the bass volume down. Creating this pumping sound. Check the manual for Mother Ducker...

WavyJonez19 wrote:Mastering/Mixing: I don't know how to mix properly, I typically use the "Air Music Technology" plug-in over the Akai Professional ones. But is it better to add a plug-in on the program as a whole or individual pads. I generally use the plug-in presets and not mix/tamper much with the leveling or adjustments. Also any advice in this respect I would greatly appreciate it. I don't like how my drums sound some times because they don't sound naturally as a good as what the contemporary music I listen to puts out. I get sample packs from "The Drum Broker".

Mixing... you'll be wanting to learn/practice how to use EQ to carve out space for each instrument to sit in... and adjust volume/levels for tracks to set instruments in the audible space. Effects to taste, etc... this is an absolutely massive topic, but what you want to do is try and hit some sub 0db level overall. Personally if I'm just trying to be quick I'll get the Kick/Bass to around -9db, and push everything else to -15db, -20db, -30db, and then tweak from there.

Search for Yorgos, he made a great mastering chain for the MPC. It'll help you a lot without needing to learning mastering techniques.

Good luck.
By 83dude Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:59 pm
A good read is Bobby Owsinski‘s „The Mixing Engineer‘s Handbook“. Along with practice it will get you pretty far!
By WavyJonez19 Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:42 pm
NearTao wrote:
WavyJonez19 wrote:I would like to know what the Automation: Write/Rewrite button does? I'll go first by making the assumption that it records the actions, parameters and pads while recording on write option, if I am correct.

You're roughly in the right ballpark, though perhaps you should read the manual? The button toggles between automation (Q-Link) "read-only" and "record to track" modes... it doesn't record pad events... though it *might* record aftertouch automation... I forget. Again... manual is your friend here, especially since you haven't really expressed what it is exactly that you're looking to record or what process you're trying to do.

WavyJonez19 wrote:Second question is what does Sidechain mean? How do you use it? And what would be any advice on using it the best?

Sidechaining is a way to automate a compressor on one channel, traditionally with the "envelope" of another. If you've ever heard bass pumping in response to a drum track, this is the effect, the drum's volume/presence pushes the bass volume down. Creating this pumping sound. Check the manual for Mother Ducker...

WavyJonez19 wrote:Mastering/Mixing: I don't know how to mix properly, I typically use the "Air Music Technology" plug-in over the Akai Professional ones. But is it better to add a plug-in on the program as a whole or individual pads. I generally use the plug-in presets and not mix/tamper much with the leveling or adjustments. Also any advice in this respect I would greatly appreciate it. I don't like how my drums sound some times because they don't sound naturally as a good as what the contemporary music I listen to puts out. I get sample packs from "The Drum Broker".

Mixing... you'll be wanting to learn/practice how to use EQ to carve out space for each instrument to sit in... and adjust volume/levels for tracks to set instruments in the audible space. Effects to taste, etc... this is an absolutely massive topic, but what you want to do is try and hit some sub 0db level overall. Personally if I'm just trying to be quick I'll get the Kick/Bass to around -9db, and push everything else to -15db, -20db, -30db, and then tweak from there.

Search for Yorgos, he made a great mastering chain for the MPC. It'll help you a lot without needing to learning mastering techniques.

Good luck.

THANKS MUCH. APPRECIATE IT. HAVE A GREAT DAY!