Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By Metatron72 Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:42 pm
You mean the presets on the MPK right? Not sure this is the issue but FL's "multilink to controllers" doesn't pay any mind to what preset the MPK is in. It only looks for whatever incoming MIDI data that you have linked to a controller.

Possibly when you did your controller linking in FL some of the assigns that you used are duplicated MIDI CC's. A lot of MPK/MPD presets are actually largely the same as far as what MIDI CC's are being used by default. In most cases they would all send on MIDI channel 1A, possibly adding to your woes.

So what I'm saying is that even if you used MPK/Preset 1/Knob 1 to Massive filter cutoff for example, then used MPK/Preset 2/Knob 1 to Massive 2's filter cutoff, if Akai had both knobs sending the same CC on the same channel, it would trigger both. Although you seem to be having the control data sent to the wrong destination rather than duplicated.

So maybe try to have the second Massive instance respond to a different MIDI channel than 1A, and switch the MPK preset for that instance to a channel other than 1A.

I have an MPD which is identical in MIDI features to an MPK, I'll try to duplicate what you were trying tonight. I'll let you know if anything I said above is in error or if I find any other helpful info.
By HPCL Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:11 pm
So I tried. In Preset 1 I press EDIT - CNTL Change - and leave Midi CH to 1A.
In Preset 2 I press EDIT - CNTL Change - and set Midi CH to 2A. Now i turn some knobs and it shows Midi CH is 2A, okay! Now I switch to Preset 1 for a second and then back to Preset 2 again, and when I now turn the knobs, it show again that Midi CH is 1A... wtf?
By Metatron72 Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:47 pm
HPCL wrote:So I tried. In Preset 1 I press EDIT - CNTL Change - and leave Midi CH to 1A.
In Preset 2 I press EDIT - CNTL Change - and set Midi CH to 2A. Now i turn some knobs and it shows Midi CH is 2A, okay! Now I switch to Preset 1 for a second and then back to Preset 2 again, and when I now turn the knobs, it show again that Midi CH is 1A... wtf?

You have to press the " > " button to get to the save menu and press enter before you switch to other preset. At least I think that's what happened.
By HPCL Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:58 pm
No I don't think so because I did exactly that, saved it.
EDIT:
OH I SEE HOW IT HAS TO BE DONE NOW, wow. Complicated... Under preset 2 I press Edit- Turn knob (K1 or K2 etc), it then activates certain knob - CNTL CHANGE, and set Midi CH to 2A, then > and press enter and then it changes Midi CH.
Thanks for your help though :).
Edit:
Wait, ****, okay... this is driving me insane. Something is still **** up. Left everything under preset 1 to Midi CH 1A. Switched to Preset 2, Edit-Turned K1 know so it selected K1 - CNTL CHANGE - Set midi CH to 2A and pressed > and enter and did this to all the knobs under Preset 2 - set MIDI CH 2A and then when I switch to preset 1 and then back to Preset 2 and turn my knobs, it's still Midi CH 1A... ahhh wtf, this drives me insane
By HPCL Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:16 pm
Even downloaded AKAI MPK 49 SQS file from Image Line forum and opened it up in Vyzex MPK49 and from there assigned to every preset different MIDI CH and saved it but same case, when I aka set for Midi CH to 3A for Preset 3 and switch it to Preset 2 for a sec and then come back to Preset 3 and then turn the knob then MIDI CH is 1A again.
By Metatron72 Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:34 pm
HPCL wrote:Even downloaded AKAI MPK 49 SQS file from Image Line forum and opened it up in Vyzex MPK49 and from there assigned to every preset different MIDI CH and saved it but same case, when I aka set for Midi CH to 3A for Preset 3 and switch it to Preset 2 for a sec and then come back to Preset 3 and then turn the knob then MIDI CH is 1A again.

Yes, I forgot that you need the editor to change a preset's MIDI channel to be independent from the global MIDI channel setting. On the machine's face controls I think you can only change the global MIDI channel.

But you still had the same problem even setting it up correctly, totally odd. I tried assigning the different VST instances to MIDI 1A and MIDI 2A within FL's settings, but when I put the MPD on MIDI 2A, no response from the MIDI 2A VST.

I only use FL to make to make loops that I export to other apps as I like the huge piano roll. It's been years since I used it as production environment. I'll keep experimenting though and put up any links I find. I'll also check out the usage of the MIDI out plugin peepingtom suggested. Wouldn't hurt to get back into FL again and with 2 of us hopefully we double our chances of figuring this out. :)
By HPCL Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 pm
I should **** learn how to use other DAW... even though I've been using FL studio for about 5 years and I don't wanna give it up because I think it's the best. But ****, I didn't bought **** expensive Midi keyboard only because to let it **** sit on the table and not function with it... piece of **** lady's private parts **** shit.
Last edited by HPCL on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Metatron72 Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:46 pm
HPCL wrote:I should **** learn how to use other DAW... even though I've been using FL studio for about 5 years and I don't wanna give it up because I think it's the best. But ****, I didn't bought **** expensive Midi keyboard only because to let it **** sit on the table and not function it.

FL is a great program, but I can't lie it's stuff like this that sent me to Ableton years ago. FL is very powerful but has such "unique" ways of doing certain basic things.

Be back, hopefully with some more understanding on how to set this up.
By HPCL Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 pm
Actually only way why I like FL is because of the simplicity. Sequencer is there and it's easy to understand. Mixer Channels are easy to understand and set, everything is just so easy. I have Ableton aswell but really, when I see it's sequencer, it is like Higher Mathematics for me. I only have one option. Open template, make synth with Massive 1 and save it. Open templete again, make bass with Massive 1 and save it. And so one and in the end just **** copy every single piece into one... but it is **** pain in the ass...
Last edited by HPCL on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Metatron72 Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:53 pm
http://www.image-line.com/support/FLHel ... inking.htm

Perhaps we are using the Temporary link controllers and we need the Global Permanent links. Read the Global section where it mentions using 16 MIDI channels.

I meant the routing stuff in FL, I agree the sequencer is very straight forward. Routing audio/MIDI in Live is easier for me as the destinations are right there in Session view.
By HPCL Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:13 pm
Hmmmm. Might it be related somehow to this - When you aka are under Preset 1 and open up generator - fruity wrapper 1 (Massive1) and select aka Wt-Pos and link to controller, then under this window that pops up, there is MIDI Controller and under there is a channel? Maybe... somehow... I dont know