Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By Datskriblez Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:45 pm
hello every one new to the forum
. need help with my mpd 18 its not corresponding the right notes it want link to the fpc right or nothing?? dont know wat im doing wrong have gone through fpc and hit last note and all that someone plz help thank u
By ceasi Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:44 am
Get rid of that fruity shit mane. :lol: jk
By Metatron72 Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:34 am
First off I'm going to suggest doing a little reading up on MIDI in general. If you want to make beats with software or hardware it's best to know at least the basics, as you will encounter issues like you're having all the time. But if you know what to look for on an interface/GUI it's much smoother sailing.

MIDI has 128 possibles values it can send a message with, 0-127. C3 = MIDI note # 36. A majority of plugins default to this being the first note on the keys or pads.

So load an FPC and look in the upper right corner of the plugin GUI. Press Pad 1 on the FPC and look in the upper right where it says "MIDI note". Click where it says C#3. Change it to C3. Press Pad 2, repeat the process but make Pad 2 C#3. Then make Pad 3 D3. Just go down the note list in order until you have all 16 pads remapped. You could continue down the note list and do Bank 2 as well if you want.

The majority of MPD presets follow this chromatic note ordering, with the exception of the GM Drum map and the Live preset which uses more than MIDI channel 1A.

Save a blank FL song file with the FPC loaded and your assignments done and you can make new kits off that. I will warn you though, every time you load a preset into the FPC your mappings will get erased.

If you want to make the mappings permanent you better start reading this - http://www.image-line.com/support/FLHel ... inking.htm

I think FL's MIDI mapping is way more trouble than it's worth and is probably the least user friendly implementation of MIDI mapping I've ever seen. It works but it's just not intuitive in the least. Reason and Live do this much, much better.

If you have $50 and want a VST that's like the FPC but superior check this out -

http://www.onesmallclue.com/poise.php
By mr_debauch Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:33 am
open a fpc...

now with your mpd 16 attached to the computer... you will see the pads are not in order right?

so hold the active button for 3 seconds until the light turns red... then hold pad 1 down. now you can switch the note number the pad represents by cycling up and down... so hold pad 1.. and quickly tap full level until you hear/see it triggering the pad 1 on the FPC... if you miss it, just push 16 levels to cycle back down to it. once you get that... then hold pad 2 on the mpd and push full level quick till pad 2 on the fpc gets triggered... repeat for all pads. then you can tap the bank button.... and switch to bank B on the fpc and continue the process.
By Metatron72 Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:53 am
Nice one Debauch. I didn't know how an MPD18 programs of the hardware, I've had the 16,24 and now have the 32. That's way better for Datskriblez than the methods I mentioned and certainly the more versatile way for him to set it up.
By mr_debauch Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:19 am
Metatron72 wrote:Nice one Debauch. I didn't know how an MPD18 programs of the hardware, I've had the 16,24 and now have the 32. That's way better for Datskriblez than the methods I mentioned and certainly the more versatile way for him to set it up.

oh sorry, i was talking about the mpd16 hahaha... my bad. I would not think the 18 would need it without the midi port though... and plus, I am guessing the 18 has the application which could be used to change that. no?
By Metatron72 Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:28 am
Yeah probably the Vyzex Editor app. It's wonky as hell though. I haven't been able to get the MPD32 to upload or receive the preset dump over USB in years. On two 5 pin MIDI plugs the editor works fine.

On a side note the MPD/MPK's with LCD's are actually really quick to program from the hardware. But yeah I don't even know if the MPD18 can be edited from the hardware.
By mr_debauch Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:06 am
Metatron72 wrote:Yeah probably the Vyzex Editor app. It's wonky as hell though. I haven't been able to get the MPD32 to upload or receive the preset dump over USB in years. On two 5 pin MIDI plugs the editor works fine.

On a side note the MPD/MPK's with LCD's are actually really quick to program from the hardware. But yeah I don't even know if the MPD18 can be edited from the hardware.

well i know the 16 doesn't even require a screen to do it... it's the simplest midi thing to set up and it remembers your setting when unplugging it.... there is a sticker under it reminding you what buttons do what cause you can assign the slider too.

kind of cool... the 18 with no midi out.... what were they thinking? shey should have kept the additional button they added and spend the penny saved on the midi port.
By Metatron72 Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:14 am
Well these are the same fools that left the same pad gap on 8 different units over a 6 year period, so who knows what the hell goes through their minds.

I forgot about the sticker on the MPD16, that is actually brilliant. How sick would it be if all gear had a "cheat sheet" on the bottom panel? :lol:

The MPD16 had an editor app but I think it was one of those ones that never got upgraded after Leopard OS X. Probably would run on Windows 7 in compatibility mode.
By mr_debauch Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 am
Metatron72 wrote:Well these are the same fools that left the same pad gap on 8 different units over a 6 year period, so who knows what the hell goes through their minds.

I forgot about the sticker on the MPD16, that is actually brilliant. How sick would it be if all gear had a "cheat sheet" on the bottom panel? :lol:

The MPD16 had an editor app but I think it was one of those ones that never got upgraded after Leopard OS X. Probably would run on Windows 7 in compatibility mode.

yeah well on vista you can install the winxp mpd16 app and driver package... but when you open a daw and enable the mpd.... it blue screens the computer. I tested this 3 or 4 years ago on two different vista machines. I asked akai if a vista driver was coming out or something newer than xp...... well they said absolutely not, and a short while later we see why... they want to sell you an mpd18, and they wont make the mistake of having the 18 good forever with a midi port... they want to force you to upgrade hardware when drivers are no longer current.
By Metatron72 Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:27 am
I remember the BSOD now, that's why I gave it to my homie to use on his Mac.

BTW- You're in the same time zone as me, what the hell are we doing awake? :lol:

Wait there's a thread in Off Topic where I'm supposed to answer that question. :lol:
By mr_debauch Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:30 am
Metatron72 wrote:I remember the BSOD now, that's why I gave it to my homie to use on his Mac.

BTW- You're in the same time zone as me, what the hell are we doing awake? :lol:

Wait there's a thread in Off Topic where I'm supposed to answer that question. :lol:

i go to bed around 6:30-7:00 give or take...
By Datskriblez Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:34 pm
thanks guyss and yes i clicked last note and all its being a pain not my first midi at all! i also have a mpk mini that i love and with this mpd18 i thought it would help me alot but not in fruity loops also i downloaded a demo of massive and it recognized it better the fl studio! and im telling yoou the mini and the mpd18 is fun as hell in massive! thanking about buying it and figuring to put it in fl.
And i have study the mpd18 for hours trying to get it to work yo, but its just isnt working the only time i can get it to recognize is when i map notes to entire bank. im still in noob zone but i have 12 songs im working on. . . so maybe its cuz my fl studio is shitty or me? idk but gives me a headache!

thanks for the hellp guys