Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By funkmastuhfresh Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:46 am
first of all, i am new to controllers, so i may need a bit more explanation than the average user.
i bought an mpd 32 not too long ago, and i have a problem with latency. it is only 17 milliseconds off but it really messes me up if i try to do a beat on the pads that requires quick motion. i'm using ableton live. ive already messed with all the options in the latency section of audio preferences and its still always off by a little.
ive heard that i need a better driver, but i have no idea what a driver is. lol.
please help.
By Metatron72 Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:08 am
Just to put everything clearly. The latency issue stems from the computer not the MPD.

When asking for help in a situation like this we need to know what operating system you have, and whether or not you are using an audio interface that is separate from the computer or relying on the computers in-built motherboard sound. If it's motherboard sound you simply cannot expect low latency results using WDM/Direct X drivers, it just isn't within their scope to deliver low latency audio.

When you buy a decent external or PCIe audio interface it will almost always have it's own driver to maximize it's performance. On PC's a protocol called ASIO is used to supplant the WDM/DirectX drivers and on OS X the drivers will use the Core Audio built into OS X.

If you are on a PC and are using onboard motherboard sound you need this - http://www.asio4all.com/

If you are on OS X, even without a separate audio interface the latency number should fall closer to 10ms.
By funkmastuhfresh Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:33 am
i am on windows vista.
i simply have the mpd32 plugged into the computer via usb cord, with no audio interface.
on ableton it says my driver type is MME/direct x. it also gives me a drop down menu with the option of selecting ASIO. i do not know what any of that means though...haha sorry for being so unknowledgable when it comes to this, but im still learning some things about making music with computers.
By funkmastuhfresh Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:42 am
ok i looked it up and i now have a basic idea of drivers and what the ASIO driver is. However, i dont know why, when i choose ASIO as my driver type, no audio comes out anymore.
By Metatron72 Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:55 am
funkmastuhfresh wrote:ok i looked it up and i now have a basic idea of drivers and what the ASIO driver is. However, i dont know why, when i choose ASIO as my driver type, no audio comes out anymore.

Did you install the ASIO4All I linked you to?

To clarify the ASIO4All driver is an emulated ASIO driver made for people in your exact situation. That is no proper audio interface but still needing low enough latency that they can input MIDI notes without unmanageable lag.

If you get it installed we can probably lower your latency number to something a lot more useable. Or if you already installed it, just give me a bit more info to help sort you out. (The driver will list itself as ASIO4All in the Audio Preferences when installed)
By Metatron72 Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:04 am
funkmastuhfresh wrote:i installed ASIO4ALL and i see it as a choice, but when i choose it as my driver, sound no longer comes out of my computer speakers.

It's been so long since I was using ASIO4All with on board speakers. I'll duplicate what you're trying on a netbook later and get back to you. Fortunately Live is on there and hopefully I find what setting you may have missed, or needs to be set somewhere other than Live's audio preferences.
By golfdogz Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:08 pm
Don't forget asio4all can only work on one piece of software at once. So make sure abletons the only piece of software that is open and making sound. No media player or sound forge or nothin can be open simultaneously.