Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By TheTenthLetter Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:04 am
Hello all,

After much researching online, I haven't been able to find any help with my current situation...

When I strike various pads on my MPD18, I am getting the same Note data from a few different pads (i.e. PADs 1, 2, and 3 all playing G#5, for example). Some pads play unique notes, some pads are sending MIDI data that is "unhandled" (meaning my DAWs MIDI Activity light blinks but isn't going to any Note in particular), and yet other pads appear to strike 2 different notes concurrently (like F#5 & G5 at the same time).

Please note that I have gone about configuring the plug-ins correctly in the software (FPC in FL Studio, but also have tried Drum Rack in Ableton and Kong in Reason). I've learned from the FL Debug menu and MIDI-OX that the "unhandled" hits on the pad are streaming a s#!tload of "Channel Aftertouch" data instead of doing a proper Note On -> Note Off. However, this still doesn't explain why 5 different pads are all sending G#5, and not the ones I've configured in MPD Editor (and yes, I have remembered the COMMIT UPLOAD button in that editor), where I've set a whole preset of all three banks (A/B/C) so each pad is SUPPOSED to trigger a unique note.

I am worried that I might possibly just have a bunk piece of gear, but I also don't know for a fact that some weird preset wasn't applied before I purchased it (second-hand), or that the firmware isn't corrupt. Unfortunately, I have had 0% success with finding the original (1.0.0) or any newer firmware updates for the MPD, as they seem to be non-existent on the web.

The last time I was having issues with AKAI gear (MPK25), it ended up being a busted USB port, and all standard functionality resumed as expected upon replacing the circuit board. After having a look at the insides of the MPD, it appears to be in good order, which makes me believe this may be something to do with the way the internal programming is currently configured. It would be very beneficial for me to do a restore to Factory settings on this thing, if I could just find out how to do it!

Oh, and just for those curious, I'm on Win 7 x64 on 2 different laptops (one with 8GB RAM and one with 16GB), and the MPD exhibits the same behavior on both, leading me to believe it is indeed a problem with the unit (or its programming) itself, and not a software issue. Also, I don't think my MIDI drivers are wonky or whatever as I have an M-Audio Axiom49 that works without a hitch.

Somebody please help me with this!! Thank you!!

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:
By MorpheusRSyndicate Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:35 am
had same problem during a blackout power outage it just wiped out the firmware i dint have backup also i just acquired mpk25 I'm new at midi language programing but I'm very knowledgeable in plc and and Arduino and upgrading electronic device but not scared at tackling new Things .the mpk25 there giving me hard time as i do not have bill of sale i bought it brand new never used at a thrift store for 4$ Canadian they have let me register the mpk25 but only giving link just to promo software not the software that usually comes with be nice to get stand alone link for download for what there website allows don't even the option on the live updater I've been calling messaging twice a day only with the same reply go to your account there service is very poor

dose anyone give me the link to mpk25 v1_00 syx file I've also seen a YouTube vid that i should be looking for this file if some one has link pls help as there poor at it
By Dusty Snares Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:30 pm
TheTenthLetter wrote:Hello all,

After much researching online, I haven't been able to find any help with my current situation...

When I strike various pads on my MPD18, I am getting the same Note data from a few different pads (i.e. PADs 1, 2, and 3 all playing G#5, for example). Some pads play unique notes, some pads are sending MIDI data that is "unhandled" (meaning my DAWs MIDI Activity light blinks but isn't going to any Note in particular), and yet other pads appear to strike 2 different notes concurrently (like F#5 & G5 at the same time).

Please note that I have gone about configuring the plug-ins correctly in the software (FPC in FL Studio, but also have tried Drum Rack in Ableton and Kong in Reason). I've learned from the FL Debug menu and MIDI-OX that the "unhandled" hits on the pad are streaming a s#!tload of "Channel Aftertouch" data instead of doing a proper Note On -> Note Off. However, this still doesn't explain why 5 different pads are all sending G#5, and not the ones I've configured in MPD Editor (and yes, I have remembered the COMMIT UPLOAD button in that editor), where I've set a whole preset of all three banks (A/B/C) so each pad is SUPPOSED to trigger a unique note.

I am worried that I might possibly just have a bunk piece of gear, but I also don't know for a fact that some weird preset wasn't applied before I purchased it (second-hand), or that the firmware isn't corrupt. Unfortunately, I have had 0% success with finding the original (1.0.0) or any newer firmware updates for the MPD, as they seem to be non-existent on the web.

The last time I was having issues with AKAI gear (MPK25), it ended up being a busted USB port, and all standard functionality resumed as expected upon replacing the circuit board. After having a look at the insides of the MPD, it appears to be in good order, which makes me believe this may be something to do with the way the internal programming is currently configured. It would be very beneficial for me to do a restore to Factory settings on this thing, if I could just find out how to do it!

Oh, and just for those curious, I'm on Win 7 x64 on 2 different laptops (one with 8GB RAM and one with 16GB), and the MPD exhibits the same behavior on both, leading me to believe it is indeed a problem with the unit (or its programming) itself, and not a software issue. Also, I don't think my MIDI drivers are wonky or whatever as I have an M-Audio Axiom49 that works without a hitch.

Somebody please help me with this!! Thank you!!

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

I know you posted this years ago and I know a few people had this same problem. Years back i had a similar problem where my chops weren't loading in order it was assigning them to pad 6 7 8 9 10 and 11and it was skipping pads so im pretty sure all you need to do is hit the presets button or the midi ch button on the mpd18 I think I can't remember but one of those fixed it for me so try assigning 5 notes to pads then hit either the preset button or midi ch button im pretty sure its the preset button then test the pads it should rearrange the pads every time you press it.