Support and chat about Akai's range of MIDI controllers, including the MPD. MPK and LPD
By Mcaldwell21 Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 am
I’ve recently acquired a nice used MPK, and in general I love it. Weighted keys, so many controls, it’s dope. The one problem is the buttons (specifically the left side, but also some of the edit/program/preset buttons in the venter). My ARP button doesn’t work (luckily I can get around it with the foot switch) and the 16 levels, full level, and bank buttons are tempestuous. What really gets me though is the split button, which does not work at all. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience living with/ fixing this problem. I’ve had it before with different MPC’s, so I think it’s the Akai buttons. I don’t know, however, if it’s the plastic “ top part” or the actual electronic piece mounted to the PCB. Any help with this would be appreciated !
By quietizkept Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:39 pm
Me, I'd get in there with some DeOxit. Not sure if I spelled that correctly. I use it primarily as fader cleaner/lube but it does a good job on rotatry knobs on old stereos, if you can get in there. That makes me think that you could clean the tact switches with it and maybe bring some back to life. If that doesn't work, I'd try replacing ONE button switch, before you buy a bunch, to see if the problem is indeed the tact switches or something deeper.

Am I using the right term for the button mechanism here guys? They are called "tact switches," right? I smoke too much.