Submit bug reports and feature requests for the JJOS-XL and 2XL
By m:t:c Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:21 pm
rvooh wrote:Thats not the point

Not sure what your point is. I suggest you use gear that does this as it sounds like they're everywhere.

rvooh wrote:Leaving the MPC running at all times kinda defies the purpose of a sync master device..

Nope. Looks like you need to think about your workflow a bit more here.
By bliprock Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:45 am
It does follow standard. Every bit of gear is different and you work out yourself how it fits together to meet your needs. This is why I said midi chain or workflow. It is obvious that you need two masters, that are linked and so when one drops out from say stopping the MPC then the other still clocks out. My synths stay at the BPM last played so stuff still stays in sync, with little drift and since I have some timing and practice I have no problem dropping new stuff in on the beat. Problem solved.

OP should turn of clock in MPC but stay master, or high up in the chain, for START/STOP/PLAY, yet slave to another clock that is first in the midi chain to MPC. So MPC passes midi clock from first device but still controls the chain for start /stop/ play. Again its about your chain and workflow IMO.
By tsutek Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:31 am
rvooh wrote:...
JJOs is not following midi standard, period

Erm, do you realize that most MIDI compatible devices are not following the MIDI Standard properly either? There's so much misunderstanding on the implementation of the MIDI standard around that devices that are actually "following" the standard (having MIDI based microtuning, using 14bit CCs for continuous controllers etc) fully are few and far between. Nothing new there..
By rvooh Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:12 am
I see no reason why it shouldn't send clock at all times like other gear does, so I wonder why you people are against it, it wont interfere with your current workflow, and might even enhance it.
And yes, midi spec implementation has exotic exceptions, but this is just plain midi beat clock we are talking about here.

It feels more like a bug or oversight than anything else.
I dont need any advice about workarounds as I don't even own an MPC myself. I just noticed the MPC made other gear freeze/crash while doing a session at a friends studio, so googled and found this, felt the need to vouch for the validity of this feature request.
In my own studio I have a Yamaha Qy700 as masterclock/sequencer and it rocks!
A quick count reveals I have 13 devices which can be master, and they all send constant midi clock when they are.
The whole sending constant clock thing has its roots in a pre-midi era, with dinsync having seperate dedicated analogue lines for clock and start/stop (=run). On my dinsync devices clock is always there too, regardless of start/stop.

Anyway I'm out of here, said what I had to and now it's up to others.
By DeaDeus Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 pm
...uhh - just to keep this thing alive. I know this thread went a little over top, but basically correct - it started in 2014 - and still valid, but not solved.
By Grump Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:31 am
innovine wrote:i think the point is to be able to stop the mpc to do some edit, but leaving the rest of the gear running, and then somehow starting the mpc again at rigt right time. not sure how youd sync that tho.

Yes, this is one of the only logical work-arounds for having to stop the sequencer to record onto other tracks, quantize, etc. in a live performance situation where one does not want to destroy the musical flow every time they wish to add or change a musical idea on the MPC. I understand the desire to do so, because it lets the MPC's solid timing keep other devices clocking accurately while it executes processes that, under the current OS' require the sequencer to stop. The hard part is getting it to start in time again. Personally, I think you'll have an easier time looking to an external source, like a Link network.

http://circuithappy.com/themissinglink/

This device does not yet put out midi clock, but it may soon. However, it will create a Link network, without the need of anyone opening up Ableton Live. Once there is a network created, you can use your phone to sync to the Link clock, just go to your App store, and search for "Link to MIDI". You'd need a $5 cable, and a USB to midi box, sending clock to the MPC.

If you or someone else are already using Ableton, you don't need the Missing Link, just the cables, USB-midi box (like a midisport, etc.), and your phone. Good luck!