Submit bug reports and feature requests for the JJOS-XL and 2XL
By dtaa pla muk Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:08 pm
in jjos1, we had the extremely useful VELOCITY => sample start, AMP attack, and tune.

we lost this in jjos2 to make room for additional functions. this was a hard loss.
it'd be great if we could have an additional PGM type (DRM2) which has traded a couple of functions (if necessary) for these controls.

without understanding the economy of resources that some of these parameters demand, let's discuss what DRM2 could sacrifice for velocity settings.
By evil A Sulli Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13 am
Hey, I think it was re-named it to ADSR under the "Pitch" section of the manual--it should be AMP because you have to press amp on the program screen. Here is the link http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/os2xl/gpe_pitch.htm

Sample start is the attack in Amp.

ADSR is the new velocity. I could be misunderstanding what you are saying.

As for DRM2 you could copy a program and name it DRM2. A sub program for drum is a whole new file extension (.dr2) that is the same as program.

Also with the new MPC Ren that file (.dr2) will not load if Akai gives you the ability to load programs.

I'm trying to give you some insight into why he may not do it. Is this a good compromise.
By le rat Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:33 am
evil A Sulli> I think Nym refers to this :

4. The function which is in AKAI OS and is not in JJ OS2XL

[SAVE/LOAD]
Cannot do the save/load to an internal memory

[PROGRAM ]
There is not [MODE]+PAD7.

Sample layer 4
AMP Velocity =>Attack
AMP Velocity =>START
PITCH Velocity =>Pitch
Filter Time
Filter Amount
Filter Velocity =>Time
Filter Velocity =>Amount
Filter Velocity =>Frequncy

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/os2xl/important.htm
By evil A Sulli Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:58 am
le rat wrote:evil A Sulli> I think Nym refers to this :

4. The function which is in AKAI OS and is not in JJ OS2XL

[SAVE/LOAD]
Cannot do the save/load to an internal memory

[PROGRAM ]
There is not [MODE]+PAD7.

Sample layer 4
AMP Velocity =>Attack
AMP Velocity =>START
PITCH Velocity =>Pitch
Filter Time
Filter Amount
Filter Velocity =>Time
Filter Velocity =>Amount
Filter Velocity =>Frequncy

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/os2xl/important.htm

Cool, all I can see is a setting for the start point--such a setting will be like the start point settings in the sample screen.

A new program type may have comparability issues for the REN. I'm just looking at it the way JJ may look at it.
By Sooty_G Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:32 am
i'm with you on this request, Nym. but it's hard to speculate on what to sacrifice to get this functionality back without knowing more details from JJ.

of course, JJ will not want to break compatibility with old projects. the idea of having an entirely new DRUM pgm type is a neat way around the compatibility problem, except for this:

if you created a new DRUM pgm type (let's call it DRUM2), then in order to save cpu / etc... the OS could only allow one type of those programs to be active at any 1 time SYSTEM-wide. if you had an old DRUM type pgm & a new DRUM2 pgm active simultaneously - then the MPC would be doing twice the work and you wouldn't be saving any cpu at all. at least that seems logical to me... JJ would be the final word on this.

BUT... if we're gonna be talking about possible things to sacrifice... one thing i could mention is the PITCH screen in GPE. it seems to have a limited use... at least for DRUM type programs. it's more useful for INST type stuff. you can make cool record scratch/tape stop effects with it but that's about it. i like to do exotic sound design type of stuff but even i barely use that screen. i can't recall it ever even being discussed on these forums!

hypothetically, if JJ were to create a new DRUM type program and replace that entire PITCH screen with a new MOD screen that had a bunch of modulation options (VELOCITY -> parameter x, AFTERTOUCH -> parameter x, LFO -> parameter x) i would be extremely happy with that!
By dtaa pla muk Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:38 am
^ totally agree.

if you created a new DRUM pgm type (let's call it DRUM2), then in order to save cpu / etc... the OS could only allow one type of those programs to be active at any 1 time SYSTEM-wide.

if this is the case, then for sure, it wouldn't work.
By zyguli Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:44 am
Sooty_G wrote:
BUT... if we're gonna be talking about possible things to sacrifice... one thing i could mention is the PITCH screen in GPE. it seems to have a limited use... at least for DRUM type programs. it's more useful for INST type stuff. you can make cool record scratch/tape stop effects with it but that's about it. i like to do exotic sound design type of stuff but even i barely use that screen. i can't recall it ever even being discussed on these forums!

I strongly disagree on this one. Pitch envelope in the drum programs is where I use it most. It's a great way to enhance or reduce the attack portion of a drum sound, or to shape percussion sounds in general - you can change their length this way for intance. This function is crucial and I wouldn't say it's exotic - rather essential for drum manipulation.

Other than this, a BIG +1 on vel->amp attack, s. start, pitch.
By bliprock Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:30 pm
zyguli wrote:I strongly disagree on this one. Pitch envelope in the drum programs is where I use it most. It's a great way to enhance or reduce the attack portion of a drum sound, or to shape percussion sounds in general - you can change their length this way for intance. This function is crucial and I wouldn't say it's exotic - rather essential for drum manipulation.

i agree, thats exactly what i use that for. But i find the LFO to Pitch Envelope more controllable. Gives me more scope to bend a short transient as well as being able to affect the slope and time of the pitch shift of short transients like drums. Because its got a delay time that is the attack see.
By Bugfix Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:34 pm
Yeah +1 on that Nym. I see in GPE that velocity was incorporated to maintain the AMP and FILTER. It's somehow sets minimum range of velocity applied to pad, no matter how soft pad was striked. If it's "0" a full range of 1-127 is active, if it's "100" works like full level. "50" make all hits to act like they was played between 64-127.
Anybody using that? I never pay attention about it :lol:
By Sooty_G Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:44 pm
bliprock wrote:
zyguli wrote:I strongly disagree on this one. Pitch envelope in the drum programs is where I use it most. It's a great way to enhance or reduce the attack portion of a drum sound, or to shape percussion sounds in general - you can change their length this way for intance. This function is crucial and I wouldn't say it's exotic - rather essential for drum manipulation.

i agree, thats exactly what i use that for. But i find the LFO to Pitch Envelope more controllable. Gives me more scope to bend a short transient as well as being able to affect the slope and time of the pitch shift of short transients like drums. Because its got a delay time that is the attack see.

ok, cool. i'm glad somebody is using GPE PITCH! nobody ever talks about it. i don't mind it being there so as long as somebody is using it i'm down to keep it around. i never thought to use it on short percussive sounds like that so i'll have to investigate.

since you guys use it a lot, can you think of any requests to send to JJ for expanding / improving it? drop a reply here or if you have some solid ideas already then start a new request thread.