Submit bug reports and feature requests for the JJOS-XL and 2XL
By astronaut Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:28 am
bliprock wrote:There is a reason it stops, cos its stopped. I need my midi clock stopped when i hiit stop, thats how it works

If the reason is that you need slave devices to stop when the MPC stops, then this can be done with MMC messages.

I need constant midi clock so I can have midi devices running in sync without stopping every-time I stop the MPC.
By bliprock Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:40 pm
yeah sorry to rain on your parade, but if this is an issue for you astro, and I am pretty safe in assuming your the only one with this issue as well, then you need to learn to use your gear better.
I mean i cant see why you say you want it that way with your set up. I can not fathom it at all. Im tryin to but. So if MPC is master you hit stop its gonna stop stuff. what ya want that changed to. second point if MPC is slave then no issue dude, change its position in midi chain.
By astronaut Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:52 pm
I have a Korg MS2000R. They were produced with faulty clocks. So I need to feed it midi clock if I want to use the arpegiator and other stuff that needs sync, e.g. delay.

I would also like to jam where I would have the mpc and the synths running at the same time, with the ability to stop anyone of them without others stopping so I could do editing but still have the flow going.

I don't understand why it would be a problem if the MPC would send midi clock constantly, since you can use MMC messages to control external midi devices.

There could be a option to switch between constant and play-only midi clock.
By elektrik_muz Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:23 pm
Oh you guys are just so wrong. Totally.

This is perfectly reasonable request. In fact I second it. Some gear even works like this by default for cryin' out loud.

Ok first it seems that some people have not grasped the fact that MIDI CLOCK and STOP/START/CONTINUE (which are not MMC) are completely separate midi messages that are independent of each other. Clock pulses do not stop or start sequencers.

Why would you want to send clock all the time? Because some gear just doesn't work properly (or sometimes at all) without it when set to external sync. This is especially the case with older devices. Many of the newer devices will default to internal sync when the external clock signal stops, but even then there's reasons you may not want to do that (resyncing latency, ext sync of LFOs etc.)

I have an old grove box that can't access half it's menu functions when it loses clock in external sync mode so this feature would work for me. However, one requirement for constant clock would be that it would HAVE to be switchable from the sync menu.
By astronaut Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14 am
elektrik_muz wrote:Ok first it seems that some people have not grasped the fact that MIDI CLOCK and STOP/START/CONTINUE (which are not MMC) are completely separate midi messages that are independent of each other.

Hmm, I thought Stop/play are MMC messages. I'll have to check again, because I think when I switch MMC off in the MPC midi menu, the external midi gear connected to it does not stop playback when I press stop.
By innovine Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 am
bliprock wrote:and I am pretty safe in assuming your the only one with this issue as well,

Wrong. Try not to be such an arrogrant dick. I'd use it, and think it's a pretty good idea actually. We don't all do things the way you do, bliprock. And it is "you're", not "your". It's the difference between knowing your sh1t, and knowing you're sh1t.
By golfdogz Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:26 pm
I could see how it could be useful to be able to stop the mpc (which is sending master midi clock) and gear still continues playing. But then I'm imagining when you then hit play again on mpc the midi clock will reset right? - unless u hit it bang on in time.

As an option it could be cool for live sets tho.

But yeah wouldn't using a different device as global master and mpc as slave do the same thing. Maybe some other simple device as clock source to mpc and others via midi splitter
By bliprock Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:02 pm
sorry spelling nazi. thanks for telling me im shit to. I never heard people having this problem in the last how many years of midi? So forgive me for my spelling and assumptions about your set up. but yeah from my perspective its like WTF.
So you know, thats how it is. Dont get ya knickers in a twist about it.
I thought that you want it if your loading or saving something, and think, IMHO, it cant do this and send midi clock from save and load screen..... . But you could still work on sequence or such yeah sure. I think another device. or just stop and start like every one else does. just saying. And I would simply slave to that gear that runs a clock with MPC at end of loop so its receiving and sending clock. even might be able to switch slave and master this way and be able to achieve exactly what you want to..
splitter wont help either if there is only one clock message still. Yes I know start stop messages are not the same by the way.
astronaut wrote:Many of the newer devices will default to internal sync when the external clock signal stops
tell me what gear does that, so i dont end up buying it. I mean I have never had gear do that, but hey i have not had everything so am interested in what gear acts like that. seriously
By innovine Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:03 pm
astronaut wrote:Many of the newer devices will default to internal sync when the external clock signal stops
tell me what gear does that, so i dont end up buying it. I mean I have never had gear do that, but hey i have not had everything so am interested in what gear acts like that. seriously

my roland td-12 drumbrain does it, as does my korg emx. im pretty sure the command station does it. ableton live does it too.