Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Lampdog Thu May 06, 2021 9:47 pm
There's no "right" bpm for hiphop.

Speed it up.

and/or

Double the bpm and double the bars.

Are you looking for super fast machine gun hihats? ..then double like I said above.
By Lampdog Fri May 07, 2021 12:51 am
flowers all that, do whatever your heart wants.

Did you double the timing and double your bars and did that get you where you wanted to be?
By mkdos Sat May 08, 2021 11:46 pm
Lampdog wrote:flowers all that, do whatever your heart wants.

Hard agree here. Ragga Jungle is sick, you don't see anything under than 150 there. Whatever fits an acapella or the MC you are working with really. "Hard rules" in music theory are there to be broken and boxing yourself in is bad.

Given the nature of OPs question though... Is OPs Timing Correct at like 1/8th at 95? Set that to 1/16th++ and try playing some stuff back. Maybe this is why he thinks it is "too slow" at 95?
By Lampdog Sun May 09, 2021 5:51 am
95 is a good starting point for boom bap, not a standard, a starting point.
150 and up is a good starting point for trap, not a standard, a starting point.

Either way, whatever fits your vision is where you end up. RIGHT!
Don’t box yourself in!
By Dusty Snares Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:45 am
mkdos wrote:
Lampdog wrote:flowers all that, do whatever your heart wants.

Hard agree here. Ragga Jungle is sick, you don't see anything under than 150 there. Whatever fits an acapella or the MC you are working with really. "Hard rules" in music theory are there to be broken and boxing yourself in is bad.

Given the nature of OPs question though... Is OPs Timing Correct at like 1/8th at 95? Set that to 1/16th++ and try playing some stuff back. Maybe this is why he thinks it is "too slow" at 95?

You were right I was quantizing at 1/8th but I was also recording my patterns at 120bpms then I was slowing it down to 95bpms which made my drums to slow for the acapella. What you said about using 1/16th worked But I also found a way to get 1/8th quantizing to sound faster by recording my drum patterns at 60bpms then turning up my bpm to 95 cause I like 1/8th swing more then 1/16th swing.
By Lampdog Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:16 am
At the moment I have 180 as a default in X. 1/8 (3).
After I get a basic pattern going I then move on to others things that feel right. TC, bpm
nudge etc, all that gets changed to wild ass values.
By Dusty Snares Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:12 pm
I realized 1/16th at 60bpms is the same as 1/8th at 120bpms reason being they are the same amount of ms so im wondering does anyone know if its possible to set a time sig to make 1/8th 250ms at 95 bpms? I had a bpm ms calculator where you could put your quantizing tsig and bpm and it would tell you the amount of seconds and ms but I can't find the link anywhere?
Last edited by Dusty Snares on Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Dusty Snares Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:31 pm
Lampdog wrote:https://mp3.deepsound.net/eng/samples_calculs.php

I just realized I need a time signature calculator