Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By audiojerry Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:53 am
hi guys im jerry from Mexico, recently i get a MPC 60 with 2.14 OS Marion SCSI and original floppy drive.
My question its...

can i upgrade OS 3.10 and still working the SCSI Marion and the same floppy drive?

gonna be easy to swap the floppy drive by a CF or SD card drive/reader ?

all CF/SD card drive/reader works with Marion SCSI ?

[img]file:///Users/jerryi7/Downloads/IMG_1953.JPG[/img]

[img]file:///Users/jerryi7/Downloads/9B9E5512-15F3-4279-B20A-0891637AE3C3.JPG[/img]

thanks for your help
By Telefunky Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:36 pm
Practically all CF/SD card readers are either USB or IDE and will NOT work on a floppy disk port.
(the floppy cable looks somewhat similar to IDE, but got less lines)

An IDE card reader will NOT work on the Marian SCSI either, it‘s a different protocol.
You need a card reader with SCSI port, which are rare and expensive.
(compared to USB or IDE types)
sorry for no better news :(
By richie Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:37 pm
audiojerry wrote:
can i upgrade OS 3.10 and still working the SCSI Marion and the same floppy drive?
thanks for your help

Upgrading to 3.10 will be fine with that Marion board.

If you plan to install the CF SCSI drive internally, then yeah you'd need to remove the floppy drive and run the SCSI ribbon cable from the Marion to the CF, and then connect power to the CF.

If you want to keep the floppy drive installed and utilize something better like a ZuluSCSI or SCSI2SD, then you can connect the drive externally to the back of the 60.

The only thing I don't remember with the Marion clone board is how external SCSI is handled on the 60 but I'd assume its the same as every other MPC.
By audiojerry Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:05 am
Telefunky wrote:Practically all CF/SD card readers are either USB or IDE and will NOT work on a floppy disk port.
(the floppy cable looks somewhat similar to IDE, but got less lines)

An IDE card reader will NOT work on the Marian SCSI either, it‘s a different protocol.
You need a card reader with SCSI port, which are rare and expensive.
(compared to USB or IDE types)
sorry for no better news :(

I found a Zulu external reader with db25 cable and sd card with 5v cellphone charger, I´ll upgrade with 3.10 OS and I hope everything works.
By audiojerry Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:08 am
richie wrote:
audiojerry wrote:
thanks for your help

Upgrading to 3.10 will be fine with that Marion board.

If you plan to install the CF SCSI drive internally, then yeah you'd need to remove the floppy drive and run the SCSI ribbon cable from the Marion to the CF, and then connect power to the CF.

If you want to keep the floppy drive installed and utilize something better like a ZuluSCSI or SCSI2SD, then you can connect the drive externally to the back of the 60.

The only thing I don't remember with the Marion clone board is how external SCSI is handled on the 60 but I'd assume its the same as every other MPC.

after searching a lot, I found Zulu website and there the answer about external sci sd card reader without change the original floppy and I hope still workin everything with the Rodeo Linn 3.10 OS
By Acid Mitch Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:19 pm
richie wrote:
audiojerry wrote:

The Marion SCSI boards came with a scsi socket and cable. The socket gets mounted in the RS232 port hole so that you can connect external devices and the cable connects the card to the port.
Once connected to a drive or card reader you press " Disk " followed by " 9 " and then select the scsi ID of the external disk you want to access. After that you just load,save ,etc like any other disk.
As far as I know the RS232 port was never implimented anyway so nothing is lost,
By Acid Mitch Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:21 pm
audiojerry wrote:
after searching a lot, I found Zulu website and there the answer about external sci sd card reader without change the original floppy and I hope still workin everything with the Rodeo Linn 3.10 OS

Yes, it works.