Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Ldizzy Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:13 am
Hi,
--------------------------------

Its with tremendous regret and a lot of anxiety that i realize, tonight, that my mpc 3000 wont work. here<s the exact symptoms :

POWER ON SCREEN :
1) The mpc powers-on most correctly,
2) it starts with loading the current Zip disk (it has an integrated zip drive)... an operation i cant cancel, for the soft keys dont work...
3) It also displays the correct version name (3.11)

THE PLAY/RECORD SCREEN
4) It brings me to the Play/Record screen... and the cursor appears next to the BPM setting slot, blinking, as usual...
5) yet... No buttons work...

STUFF THAT DOESNT WORK :
Whether its on the power-on screen or on the play-record screen, NO BUTTON SEEM TO WORK... I tried them one by one...

-COMMANDS dont work
-CURSOR doesnt work
- DATA ENTRY neither
- KNOB wont work neither..
- REAL TIME wont work
- Play rec wont work

EVEN THE PAD BANK, FULL LEVEL, 16 LEVELS.. AND THE SOFT KEYS wont work...

STUFF THAT DOES WORK
the display contrast and stereo volume knob work (on the latter : i hear more hiss when i push it to its limit... so i guess it works...)... i cant evaluate for the rec level..Also, I cant seem to evaluate if the pads still work... simply cause i cant load any sound, or go to any menu that displays the pads names..

--------------------------------
PERSONAL DIAGNOSIS
My diagnosis : im no electrician.. i know nothing about this stuff but it seems like a mechanical/physical/electrical problem more then a <<bug>> to me... i may be wrong...

Important notice : i didnt power the machine for about 3 or 4 weeks... it remained stored at its usual place... yet it was UNPLUGGED... it didnt fall.. i didnt spill stuff in it... my room is a bit moisty, since its in a basement... but seriously, its not that bad.. i have a lot of electronic stuff down here and nothing seems to rust off or anything...
ive had my mpc 3k (3.11) since 2003 maybe 2004... and ive used it a lot.. it served me well and it didnt bug or break or freeze at all...

I really know nothing about electronics... and i come from a small town... where there are soime basic business electricians... but i dont necessarily trust the idea of giving it to them without contacting my favorite mpc community members first... i know some of u guys could help with such a problem... i have to precise im kinda really short on business... its no joke... and i know i might have to pay for repair but i simply want to avoid the first answer from being <<rent a car and cruise to FORAT NYC...>>... im really willing to do it if its the last thing i can do tho...

i come back from a long and desperate journey from questioning myself about my musical ambitions and i finally felt like i could get back to it so... it really... sucks right now

i know u guys are trustworthy :) .. im just wishing for the most u can help me with... feel free to ask any further question .. as usual..

Thanks a lot
By Ill-Green Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:50 am
Your problem sounds severe. Do you remember what you did on the last time you used it? You know, like how you turned it off? Maybe you had an emergency and you forgot a certain operation before shutting it off. Even power failures during loading or sampling can cause that.

I would save up for the postage to send it to CA and let Forat do his justice to it.
By The Grublet Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:25 pm
I guarantee its a ribbon cable. Are all of your led's lit?
By mpc3000le Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:44 pm
Manilla wrote:open it up. sounds like the main ribbon that connects the front panel to the mobo

Cosign ...

Open it up ...

Download this file:

http://www.mansell-labs.com/downloads/installpix/SCREWS.zip

Unzip it and look at the pictures showing which screws to remove.

Download this file:

http://www.mansell-labs.com/downloads/installpix/warning.zip

Unzip it and look at the pictures.

Offending cable is circled in red.

Unplug and then re-plug.

All with the power off/disconnected of course.

Rohan.
By Ldizzy Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:23 am
concepts wrote:Dont forget be be grounded.

which means^....

reminder : im sadly french, and im sadly poor at repairing stuff.. especially discontinued expensive dope stuff ahaha :) but ill try, thanks guys

just reply about the Led thing and then translate that sentence quoted upper!

thx
By sonseelye Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:37 pm
being grounded means being unable to send electricity through your body to your board,,,wear shoes on (tile, linoleum,wood,something solid) dont scuff your socks across the carpet while working with the inside of your mpc..

and hes asking if the lights are on because the ribbon might be loose..take the case off,and go as deep as u feel comfortable,you'll see the ribbon when u take it apart,if it looks like it might be to much,close it up,,,and check ur pm's.