Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By b.read Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:39 pm
I can picture what debauch is talking about and yeah- it would be cool... no one would need a specific address or anything

the maps I've seen look like this-

There's no way in hell anyone would know where your lab actually was :lol:
By Jim Beats Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:43 pm
Maybe I went a bit to far with my thoughts, no way some one can figure it out that way. :lol: Sorry David.
Bymember_5949kfk50e0d3 Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:45 pm
Dave_Mode wrote:- and you sound like a 1000 user.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
By mr_debauch Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:49 pm
Jim Beats wrote:Maybe I went a bit to far with my thoughts, no way some one can figure it out that way. :lol: Sorry David.

unless it was programmed into google earth and we could zoom into street view and spot your MP through your window... :lol:
By deepah84 Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:16 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
Jim Beats wrote:Dude, I own a mpc60mk1 which is in excelent condition, now I wouldnt mind putting up a picture of it in the cribthread, I would mind to give people the location of my homestudio. Why is that so hard to comprehend? I think its a lovely idea but with to many complications.

well I dont know about this guy's idea... but when I had the idea in the other thread I was picturing a map of the world and a little dot around the city you are in... just to show like what country has the most kind of thing.... and also it was only for 3000LE models.... studio locations and all that it didn't occur to me that you guys were thinking that. I agree, I would not want to let anyone know where I am located. In fact talk has happened from just the pics alone...

Same for me lol !
By ultra auris Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:22 pm
it would be cool if we had better data from akai on serial numbers. Much like a guitar or amp. so we know by serial when and where our mpcs were built. also Id like to know what the numbers manufuctured of the old machines are.
By boomspot Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:17 am
ultra auris wrote:it would be cool if we had better data from akai on serial numbers. Much like a guitar or amp. so we know by serial when and where our mpcs were built. also Id like to know what the numbers manufuctured of the old machines are.

2000 3k le models.
By mpc3000 Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:25 pm
ultra auris wrote:it would be cool if we had better data from akai on serial numbers. Much like a guitar or amp. so we know by serial when and where our mpcs were built. also Id like to know what the numbers manufuctured of the old machines are.

Up until Numark bought out Akai, the serial numbers are in specific format:

month : 1 = Jan through C = Dec (?)
Year : 2 digit
country of destination: 2 digit: 25 = USA, ?? = UK, ??, Canada, Europe, UK, Japan, Aus, Germany, Custom. This is to comply with export manufacturing/parts compliance.
- dash
5 digit sequence number for that month/yr/dest.

This is for products at least up through the MPC1000. Not sure if Numark changed it. For some of the really old products, the year is different (My S950 and S1000 year part don't quit match the format). FWIW, I have MPC1000 #1 for US.

As far as country of manufacture, Akai manufactured most everything in Japan up until the S2000 and MPC2000 which they outsourced to China. My S5000 was strangely made in Japan, which came after the MPC2000.
By Dave_Mode Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:16 pm
I had learned something just the other week which has a slight twist to the information that you've provided:

digit 1 = the month (I haven't seen a 3K with a Letter in the first digit space)
digits 2 + 3 = year
digits 4 + 5 = date
DASH
digit 1 - 5 = batch number for that particular run.

I can understand how digits 4+5 would exist to represent a Country Code for export purposes.

Thanks for your post!
By oxide54 Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:24 pm
Mine is

B9445

not posting any more of, you never know it might have been nicked at somepoint :mrgreen:
By oxide54 Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:26 pm
Dave_Mode wrote:I had learned something just the other week which has a slight twist to the information that you've provided:

digit 1 = the month (I haven't seen a 3K with a Letter in the first digit space)
digits 2 + 3 = year
digits 4 + 5 = date
DASH
digit 1 - 5 = batch number for that particular run.

I can understand how digits 4+5 would exist to represent a Country Code for export purposes.

Thanks for your post!

mine has 45 as the digits where your info says date, so I'm more inclined to believe it is a country code
By The franchute Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:09 am
Hello,

I'm going to reactivate this 2009-2010 post, because I've just bought a S950 Akai sampler (a great machine !), but the person who sold it to couldn't tell me the age of the sampler, because before he had bought it from another one, and so...

The serial number is 50245-41789. I could investigate by analogy with other serial numbers on the internet, and I think "45" means the country (France). But I couldn't find the age, despite of the several explanations on this post because it doesn't seem to match. I asked Akai support (now Numark), but no answer.

Please anyone could help me ?

Thanks a lot for your answer (and sorry if my english is not correct)