Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By linn4life Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 am
Hi everybody, I just got an MPC 60 II and opened it up to see the inside. There is a potentiometer to adjust the contrast but the wire are not soldered on it, there's 3 wires brown, orange and red and it connects to the main board but I don't know where they are supposed to go on the knob, if someone who owns this model could put a picture of this knob with the wires I would really appreciate.

Also, I read a couple of posts that are saying we can change the backlight on the lcd but I don't know how to do it with this model... there's just a connector going from the main board to the lcd and I know there's supposed to be an inverter for the backlight but I don't know where it is... Since the floppy drive is missing on it, maybe the person just took the backlight too.... some pictures of the lcd will be appreciated too

Thanks I just can't wait to rebuild it

And for the scsi option, if someone has it... it would be cool to have some hd pics of the top and bottom, maybe we can try to clone it... I know there is a memory hack too but soldering wire directly on chips is usually a bad idea... if someone has the mem expansion board, it would be nice to have some pictures of it maybe we could clone this too hehe
By linn4life Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:42 pm
yeah thanks... I saw that one but it doesn't show the LCD neither the contrast button wiring, that's why I was asking.. There is a wire that goes from the little square pcb beside the floppy not the white one that goes to the power supply the other one (grey with a plastic protection on it) I don't have this wire in mine.... I suppose it goes to the lcd backlight??? am I right on this??
By MPCHunter Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:16 pm
Here is a detailed pictorial of inside a MPC 60.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131478&start=0

However, you are not likely going to find a picture anywhere that has exactly what you expect to see. You will need to do the legwork on your own.

The service manual and schematics for the MPC 60 is readily available online and in these forums and will contain more information than you need. A simple search will turn this document up for you.

Here is a video on backlight replacement for the MPC 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LO7zQ396_A

In addition, there are a number of threads in this forum about backlight replacement. Since the MPC 60II uses nearly the same LCD and backlight as the MPC 3000, the information in either a MPC 60 or MPC 3000 backlight topic should have enough information for you to get started.
By linn4life Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:07 pm
hey thanks a lot, I already have the service manual for the mpc 60 but the pictures are not really clear, looks like it was scanned or something... And the topic with the pictures is for a mpc 60 but I think the hardware is the same for the 60 an 60 II. I'll check this out
By Scheme Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:14 am
Hey, I know this is 12 years old but, did you ever find the orientation of the Brown Orange and Red contrast knob wires to the potentiometer?

linn4life wrote:Hi everybody, I just got an MPC 60 II and opened it up to see the inside. There is a potentiometer to adjust the contrast but the wire are not soldered on it, there's 3 wires brown, orange and red and it connects to the main board but I don't know where they are supposed to go on the knob, if someone who owns this model could put a picture of this knob with the wires I would really appreciate.

Also, I read a couple of posts that are saying we can change the backlight on the lcd but I don't know how to do it with this model... there's just a connector going from the main board to the lcd and I know there's supposed to be an inverter for the backlight but I don't know where it is... Since the floppy drive is missing on it, maybe the person just took the backlight too.... some pictures of the lcd will be appreciated too

And for the scsi option, if someone has it... it would be cool to have some hd pics of the top and bottom, maybe we can try to clone it... I know there is a memory hack too but soldering wire directly on chips is usually a bad idea... if someone has the mem expansion board, it would be nice to have some pictures of it maybe we could clone this too hehe
By Scheme Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:57 am
Never Mind it's B R O Left to Right circle side up connections down.

Scheme wrote:Hey, I know this is 12 years old but, did you ever find the orientation of the Brown Orange and Red contrast knob wires to the potentiometer?

linn4life wrote:Hi everybody, I just got an MPC 60 II and opened it up to see the inside. There is a potentiometer to adjust the contrast but the wire are not soldered on it, there's 3 wires brown, orange and red and it connects to the main board but I don't know where they are supposed to go on the knob, if someone who owns this model could put a picture of this knob with the wires I would really appreciate.