Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By runningoutofspace Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 pm
OK, so now I'm pissed. I've just paid for the the 3.50 online and there was no indication of any issues with the man or the company until I discovered this forum topic.

I still have the 45 days with Paypal but it's really not looking good at all. We all could really lose a resource and I fear the worst has happened - Rohan could be really out of comms for a really bad reason - bad for him - bad for the community. I'm curious to know if my payment was accepted on his/their side and will update when I open a case with Paypal?

But what can we do in this situation? Is there any alternative to Vailixi 3.50 from Rohan?
By b.read Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:51 pm
runningoutofspace wrote:What can you do in this situation?

If you're still within the 45 day dispute period, I'd get my payment back and purchase again if/when Rohan resurfaces.

runningoutofspace wrote: Is there any alternative to Vailixi 3.50 from Rohan?

For the 3000? Nope...
By runningoutofspace Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:24 pm
I actually ordered two days ago. I finally got a slick 1-owner 2nd hand 3000LE model again and wanted the upgrade for her. I found my way to Mansell-labs and ordered because it was on my rehab checklist.

And not to be selfish and hope that he comes back FOR THE COMMUNITY to fill our orders but I'm on the side that's hoping he's well and not in a really bad situation. It really doesn't look good and nothing is worse than someone great who just disappears with a secret and its gone for good. It could really set the limit for these and that sucks.

BTW, I got this one because I had one in 2000 brand new, sold it because times got hard and it was limiting me to a point. I ventured off to software samplers/pad controllers and found my way back to the MPC3000 with a better approach at how I can use her in today's tech. I did love the one I had and wished that I could have kept it but it wasn't meant to be. 2nd time around, this one is joining my Maschine, Tempest and Octatrack which all do separate things but nothing is more cherished than a "love lost then found again" so she's back in my studio. If anyone out there bought mine and wants to sell it back - prove it by PM'ing me with the serial and if she's still looking good, we can deal.

I'm doing as much as I can to repair her - not much but just to update here.
Last edited by runningoutofspace on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By b.read Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:26 pm
I hear ya....I'd really get the payment back and cross my fingers that he returns soon to straighten everything out.

That, and enjoy the 3000le as it is for the time being. 8)
By sensei Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:23 am
I've been saying it from a while back and I'll say it again.

Someone needs to contact Rohan as this is getting out of hand.

People were in this thread saying they know him and they are probably reading this....

SO...

Step up people, contact him and contribute something by trying to solve this mess. Unfortunately we live in a world where people are reluctant to do anything unless there is something in it for them. In this case it will be respect and thanks.

This situation is rubbish.

One other thing, all the jokes about what has happened to Rohan are in poor taste. You don't know what's happened to him and making jokes about it is out of line. The dude could have serious issues (and no doubt probably does) and you're here making jokes at his expense. ~Pathetic~!
By b.read Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:49 pm
sensei wrote:One other thing, all the jokes about what has happened to Rohan are in poor taste. You don't know what's happened to him and making jokes about it is out of line. The dude could have serious issues (and no doubt probably does) and you're here making jokes at his expense. ~Pathetic~!

Chill out homechicken...I cracked a few jokes here about the lack of info, not his situation. It was said on page 6 that:

labcoats wrote:My friend in OZ spoke to him yesterday. Rohan has had some family issues which have taken their toll. He will be back on line soon. Thats all I can say on the matter.

I understand that things come up and business may have to briefly take a back seat for personal issues, but look at when this thread was started and look at today's date. I am not sure what kind of situation would arise that would make me keep so many customers hanging for so long. That was posted in early December.

Steele (God bless 'em) had three, count 'em THREE deaths in the family within a month and still managed to keep concerned people here posted on what was going on with his family. Either labcoats was given faulty info or something, I don't know- either way, the whole situation could be alleviated by some real info being posted, but it looks like the customers that are waiting haven't gotten any at this point. I posted some ridiculously goofy (yet perhaps untasteful to those involved in the situation) scenarios to lighten the mood and have since cleaned up the post as they weren't helping.

I want people to understand that this isn't a personal attack towards Rohan himself. I'd ask the same questions of anybody.
Last edited by b.read on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By b.read Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:50 pm
sensei wrote:

Just so you know, we are in complete and utter agreement.
By sensei Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:04 am
b.read wrote:
sensei wrote:

Just so you know, we are in complete and utter agreement.

Peace! No worries man!

I just hope this mess gets sorted. It's bad that people are still paying for this thing and nothing is being done. In fact it's whack!

I really don't understand why his site can't be taken down or whatever else is needed. The fact that money is still being passed for this product is verging on criminal.
By Shostakovich Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 pm
The way this thread has gone, I wouldn't be surprised if you now hear nothing from Rohan. Although I'm quite certain those that have paid for product will be contacted personally in due course - but certainly not on this public forum.

The original intent of this thread was to warn that Mansell labs is currently not offering their usual services but are still taking payment via their website. Anyone who has read the thread and proceeded to place an order anyway has no-one to blame but themselves.

Speculation about the reasons why this situation has arisen helps no-one and just stirs up animosity in a very tight knit, and a very small community. A community which Rohan has gone out of his way time and again to help (myself included).

Again, I would advise those who have paid, and who are still awaiting their products to open disputes with the payment broker (Paypal) rather than spit bile in public.

As for copying the OS, I don't think it is either fair or constructive. But practically speaking, EEPROM burning needs robust checksum verification in order to be successful. Those that attempt to do this may experience system faults related to the software. I certainly wouldn't risk it.

I really feel for those who have lost the opportunity to get their funds back. But I am also sure they will be contacted and will receive product in time, or at least, a full refund.
By micb Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm
Shostakovich wrote:The way this thread has gone, I wouldn't be surprised if you now hear nothing from Rohan. Although I'm quite certain those that have paid for product will be contacted personally in due course - but certainly not on this public forum.

Are you somehow implying the way we have handled this thread would of scared Rohan off :?

Shostakovich wrote:The original intent of this thread was to warn that Mansell labs is currently not offering their usual services but are still taking payment via their website. Anyone who has read the thread and proceeded to place an order anyway has no-one to blame but themselves.

I don't think you will find anyone who has read the thread and then proceeded to place an order. But what you will find is people who have placed an order, heard nothing and then stumbled on this thread afterwards..

Really I had no specific intent with the thread other than warn people, and also try to get to the bottom of where and what Rohan is up to. So far with very little success. For such a well known dude, there certainly doesn't seem to be anyone with any serious ties to him, and if there are, they are keeping as quiet as him.

Shostakovich wrote:Speculation about the reasons why this situation has arisen helps no-one and just stirs up animosity in a very tight knit, and a very small community. A community which Rohan has gone out of his way time and again to help (myself included).

Indeed it does stir animosity, but so does everything about this situation, including the way it is being handled by the guy who is causing the problem. The guys reputation really means nothing now to some members, and he has only himself to blame, not a few of us for naturally discussing and wanting to know his current state. It hasn't been done harshly, but it's only normal for people to try and understand, especially when they're own money is involved.

Shostakovich wrote:Again, I would advise those who have paid, and who are still awaiting their products to open disputes with the payment broker (Paypal) rather than spit bile in public.

Spit bile?? I don't see anything nasty being said, but if you do feel free to point it out.

If you ask me he has be treated very lightly so far. To be quite honest, if he wasn't half the way around the other side of the world, we wouldn't be needing to discuss it on an internet forum because I would of gone and collected my money personally by now.
By b.read Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:47 pm
olivr wrote:http://www.mansell-labs.com/

domain has been unregistered / not been renewed

:(

Reposting here in case all didn't see it in the sticked mansell labs thread.