Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By sbtst6 Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:49 am
I have a situation with the MPC 3000 where it powers up fine and gives me the main screen, but none of the buttons, data wheel and pads operate when pressed/used. Any one have any idea what it could be?

Thank you
By mr_debauch Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:36 am
no, however when all the buttons are not functioning.. one course of action is to unplug every connector and reconnect them which sometimes will help re-establish contact if it has been lost which is common to have happen.
By mr_debauch Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:14 pm
sbtst6 wrote:Could it be a possible bad OS ROM chips???

well the machine boots... and from what I understand it seems normal on screen... the buttons are the issue. I dont know, worst case scenario if you cant figure it out... maybe call forat, or VST service... see what they suggest you do.
By KkonEl Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:06 pm
mr_debauch wrote:no, however when all the buttons are not functioning.. one course of action is to unplug every connector and reconnect them which sometimes will help re-establish contact if it has been lost which is common to have happen.

^^^^
also dirt and dust on your connectors will cause the chip boards to not work
once you get it open, go ahead and blow it out with an air can and reseat all the connectors like debauch said
about 95% of the time that's the issue with dead pads/wheels
By sbtst6 Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 am
@KkonEl..will be doing that now that the machine is open, and see if that gets things back and running. The machine is pretty dust free and spotless inside, but never know. Is there any cleaning solution that would be good for cleaning the connectors??
By mr_debauch Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:39 am
sbtst6 wrote:@KkonEl..will be doing that now that the machine is open, and see if that gets things back and running. The machine is pretty dust free and spotless inside, but never know. Is there any cleaning solution that would be good for cleaning the connectors??

for the connectors you dont need a cleaning solution.. but if you do use something I suggest a can of contact cleaner... or if you have nothing else use some rubbing alcohol and a clean rag.
By MisterWhite Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24 pm
Hey,

I'm almost 100% sure I know what the problem is here and it's nothing serious, nothing to worry about at all. A ribbon cable has either pulled loose, or become detached. It happens sometimes when doing work on the inside - because the cables are often tied together it's easy to pull a bit too hard on a cable and detach one. I see this happen now and again when backlights are replaced.

I'm looking in the service manual for the most obvious candidate, there is one ribbon cable that if loose, would disrupt the encoder, the pads and all of the buttons. (there are other ribbon cables but this looks like the one to blame).

This ribbon cable runs from the CPU PCB (the board with the memory expansion slots) to the 'Operation A PCB' (the board that contains the blue keys / transport buttons) and I'm guessing that one is the one that got pulled. Just have a check of that ribbon cable and any others in that area, make sure they are all seated fully at both ends, and you should find that all is well again.

If that fails, unplug then reconnect each end of that ribbon cable.

Matt (plug + play backlights)
By sbtst6 Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:52 am
@ MisterWhite

That ribbon cable you speak of is the first one that i pulled out and put back in. That didnt get it working.. Will be getting some contact cleaner over the weekend to see if that helps. But i did reseat that particular ribbon cable. By the way, in regard to that particular cable, you can only pull it out on the CPU PCB. I dont think you can get pull out and reseat it on the Operation a PCB??

Possiblly have to dig deeper. Could one other detached cable that i dont see, be affecting the rest??

This machine is spotless in the inside with no dirt/ dust etc.. and only been opened once over 10 years ago. Been working flawlessly this long. Been in the same spot for 15 years, I pretty much ruled out that fact that moving it was the cause.
By MisterWhite Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:20 pm
Hey,

Ah of course you are right that you can't disconnect that cable from the operation A PCB. I'm suprised that didn't fix it though, your 3000 seems to have the exact symptoms of a dislodged cable. There are a couple of other things to check before going deeper.

The drum pad pcb + encoder pcb + Operation B and C PCB's connect directly to operation A PCB, then all the data goes down that ribbon cable into the CPU pcb. I guess it's worth checking these connections:

P601 which connects to the encoder PCB
P602 connects to operation C
P603 to operation B
P604 to operation B
W602 doesn't unplug at the operation A end, check its connection on drum pad pcb end

If that fails, I'm wondering if the 3000 is frozen at that point, as in it boots up as far as displaying the main screen, then freezes for some reason? Is there a way to check if it's responding, for instance by connecting an external midi or clock source to the 3000, to see if theres any response to start/stop or incoming midi signals, maybe an LED flashes? (i don't have a 3000 here right now)

BTW, are any LED's lit?

Matt (plug + play backlights)
By sbtst6 Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:08 pm
@ MisterWhite.

I tried the connecting an external midi or clock source to the 3000, to see if theres was any response to start/stop or incoming midi signals, and the result was no response. But that could be do to the fact that you cant get to the midi page to set the Clock source to be slaved.

The Pad Bank A is the only led lighting up, but you cant change banks because of the other issues of nothing responding.

Will be checking the cables next to dig deeper.

Never thought of the 3000 freezing up, is there any way to reset it if that is the case??

Thanks
sbtst6
By Shostakovich Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:47 pm
But that could be do to the fact that you cant get to the midi page to set the Clock source to be slaved.

3000 doesn't need sync setting. it responds automatically to incoming signal. if your cable is properly connected, it may be the cable itself has failed.