Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By ill electro Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:49 pm
With vst service no longer selling the backlight power inverter, where can i get a equal spec replacement for the mpc3000? i don't want to cannibalize an older aka sampler whose backlight inverter will soon fail again like my 3000. i got the solder free backlight kit but i wont work with my failing inverter. Please help save my 3000le.......
By Clint Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:08 pm
ill electro wrote:i don't want to cannibalize an older aka sampler

Well your best bet is to harvest the part from an S series sampler like the S-3000XL which can be had cheaply these days. You'll also get a handful of other spares for your MPC3000 from that machine.

What would you rather save, a S3000XL or your MPC3000?

These are the joys of vintage hardware ownership.
By MisterWhite Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:08 am
Hey there,

If you haven't found a replacement inverter yet, get in touch with me if you haven't already (I sold you the backlight unless you bought it from a company in the USA).

There are a couple of other little things we should check too, before we say for sure that the inverter is to blame.

Thanks,

Matt
By b.read Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:02 pm
What up Matt! Been awhile... :D Beat me to it- I was going to say, hit Matt up and see if he has any.
By szr Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 pm
There are lots of inverters you can use, you absolutely don't need to butcher a vintage sampler for such a minor part.
One of my s3000s had it's inverter swapped for a totally different modern replacement.
If you get on mouser you should find a bunch, or go with a sampler branded one:
http://www.backlight4you.com/product_in ... -area.html
By viacom Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:02 pm
szr wrote:There are lots of inverters you can use, you absolutely don't need to butcher a vintage sampler for such a minor part.
One of my s3000s had it's inverter swapped for a totally different modern replacement.
If you get on mouser you should find a bunch, or go with a sampler branded one:
http://www.backlight4you.com/product_in ... -area.html

Nice find!

Does your replacement make any noise? I have a 60 that has a nice bright backlight, but the inverter is very audible.. I would replace it with a modern version if it would cut down the noise.
By szr Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:48 pm
I've heard that new inverters can be louder than the originals... But I'm in touch with someone via pm that may be installing the one linked above soon...
So will keep you informed... who knows, maybe the one in the link is a low noise design... I mean it's filled with resin... that might be a hint..
By Clint Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:10 am
I recall Rohan/MPCHunter and others mentioned this in some old posts, but you might need to modify the wiring. I haven't tested it myself, but have two S3000XL screens here just in case...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140344&start=15

MPCHunter wrote:
The LCD and backlight in the S3000 can be a drop in replacement for the one in the MPC 3000. There are also some other juicy parts inside like the inverter which you can use in the 3000 as well.

MPCHunter wrote:On a S1000, the connector on the LCD that connects to the ribbon cable is sized a little bit different than the one on the MPC 3000. So, you'll have to swap the connectors by desoldering them. Shouldn't take anyone that has soldering experience more than 10 - 15 minutes to do so.
By MPCHunter Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:27 pm
MPC3013 wrote:I replace EL-foil and Inverter. Again backlight not work, MPC works.

Voltage of the power supply -

How to repair the power supply?

Is F1 blown or just not getting AC power? This should be on the primary side of the transformer.

On the secondary side you should be getting 5VAC off the transformer not 3VAC.

Unplug P801 and make sure you are getting the correct voltage readings taking the measurements on the connector. If the transformer is outputting 3V then it needs replaced.

Use this information with caution as you could kill yourself or your MPC as you are working with live electricity. I am not responsible for any damage that occurs due your negligence. If you do not know what you are doing take it to someone that does (adult, technician, professional, etc)