Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By master-ceo Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:24 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
master-ceo wrote:Compile all the info in this forum and put it together. From floppy to cf, 2.12 to 3.10.

man, from 2.05 I believe it was... that one only has like 5 options to choose in the sounds menu haha...

Thanks! After some googling it might be 2.02. Probably the version DJ premier still uses. lol! But before the 2 there was the 1 so no telling.
By Clint Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:07 pm
Opened a can of worms here.

Anyone got the SP1200 book like to say what they did and didn't like about it?

Price, content, pics, interviews, page count, form, physical size, technical info, development info, tips tricks, the cover, writing style, availability, customising, maintenance tips, studio tours, chapters, tutorials, hook up guides, advertising...

When you break it down, there is a lot to consider in terms of presentation and content.
By master-ceo Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:06 pm
Just go at it like making a track. In the end your going to track what's good into protools and edit anyway.

The main thing is to stay focused on the main topic and that's the MPC60.
By wudsiba Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:34 pm
m56p87 wrote:For me personally. I would ONLY buy it if it was about the 60 and mabye the 3000 because its such a staple. I would buy a book about Roger linns MPC's but nothing else. I don't give a **** about nukais development of **** or JJOS. The big thing for me would be to throw in information nobody knew, when I saw linn speak a few weeks ago my mind was blown by all the tiny bits of info I would never have heard from anyone else. Like why the pad sensors are 4 x 4, and how the linn drum was never intended to have replaceable Roms. Take your time, and make that **** mind blowing. I can imagine people coming out the fuggin' wood work to help you and tell you cool ****.

Clint, my madre is a proffessional book writer ,mostly non fiction. I don't know how much you already know but if you need any info on doing a book like this hit me up. She does this **** daily.

Bottom line I don't need to know what he have to today (with the Ren and JJOS), I'm more interested in how we got here.

Good point.
By daftmunk Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 pm
clint246clint wrote:
Anyone got the SP1200 book like to say what they did and didn't like about it?

a lot of research went into the SP book, to the point it was actually endorsed by the e-mu founder/engineers. the book is 2 parts, first is on the SP itself & second part is interviews with famous producers using the SP, these are really interesting and go into tricks & workflow tips. unfortunately i'm not sure what's going on with the new edition, there was even supposed to be a digital ipad version of the book.. i contacted the writer recently who told me they had problems with their publisher. i don't want to discourage you but if you've never done a book you may be in way over your head.. anyways here is the breakdown of the SP book:

"SP1200: The Art And The Science" is the first book ever written for the inimitable SP-1200, hip-hop's most iconic drum machine/sampler. Certified by E-Mu Systems, this book celebrates 40 years of the SP1200

"In the chapters to come, PBODY will guide you through the world of the SP1200, its history, its underlying technology, and both conventional and unconventional techniques for making music with it. I am personally honored to have played a key role in creating such a time-honored instrument, and I must confess how delightful it has been to have a chance to pour over the schematics again and recall the whole design experience. I hope you'll have as much fun reading as I and the whole E-mu gang did in producing the SP1200. Enjoy!"
-Dave Rossum, E-Mu Systems Inc. Founder

PART 1:
• 1. The art
• 2. The science
• 3. The 12 bits grit
• 4. Cookbook
• 5. Repair section
• 6. Tricks & Tips
• 7. Quote / Unquote
• 8. Mix Out

PART 2: Exclusive Interviews by Kicdrum Products™
• Buckwild
• Dela
• DJ I-Cue
• DJ Jazzy Jeff
• DJ Joc Max
• DJ Roddy Rod
• DJ Spinna
• E-Swift
• Easy Mo Bee
• Gensu Dean
• Grap Luva (Pete Rock's Brother)
• Imhotep
• Insight
• J.Force
• J-Zone
• Jamey Staub (Pete Rock's Sound Engineer)
• Jel
• J-Ro
• Kdef
• Kenny Parker
• Lewis Parker
• Lord Finesse
• Mac Mccraw
• Needle Drifterz
• Nick Wiz
• Showbiz
• Ski Beatz
• Todd Terry
And More...

here is the buckwild interview:

http://claaa7.blogspot.fr/2011/08/buckw ... p1200.html
By Clint Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:59 am
daftmunk wrote:
PART 1:
• 1. The art
• 2. The science
• 3. The 12 bits grit
• 4. Cookbook
• 5. Repair section
• 6. Tricks & Tips
• 7. Quote / Unquote
• 8. Mix Out

How many pages were devoted to these sections and what exactly is each section about?

How many photos per page, are all photos colour or are some B&W?

E-mu developers interviewed?
By fobedafied Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 am
the SP1200 book.

lots of "footnotes" or "tidbits" from Dave Rossum... he did an intro also...

it gets a bit technical, but not "comprehensively"... there are a few things that are kind of vague about the SP that i am still unsure/curious about, even with the forums and this book...

the second edition is in black and white and is called the "grey edition" in homage to the original SP1200 model... the first edition is color i believe...

havent gotten deep into the interviews yet... a lot of the functions and features content is basicly overviews of what is in the user manual... there are a few techniques and tips covered that have become part of the legacy of this machine though, such as pitching up to sample and re-pitching down...

all in all, a good book for an SP user to have or read... but if you are an SP nerd already, you probably wont find out any "holy grail" secrets from this book, and may find some of the info a bit redundant... :-D
By daftmunk Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:43 am
First of all i agree if a said book should be made, it should include MPC 60 mk I/II & MPC 3000. All three are very similar anyways. Roger Linn should be asked to participate or at least have an in-depth interview, i've heard he's a pretty friendly guy and responds to e-mails and such so it shouldn't be too hard, perhaps get a list of questions people would like answered from here. Also try and contact & interview anybody else involved at the time (ie mike mcroberts). on the technical side, any kind of schematics or blueprint would be cool, one cool part of the SP book is the repair section. It would be cool if the MP book would have tutorials on how to change pads/screen or other common failures. basically the kind of stuff that is not in the manuals..
By Clint Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:05 pm
daftmunk wrote:First of all i agree if a said book should be made, it should include MPC 60 mk I/II & MPC 3000. All three are very similar anyways...Roger Linn should be asked to participate or at least have an in-depth interview

Fair points but you need to bear in mind the amount of work involved and the production costs. I think people read (non-fiction) books and take these things for granted. The quality, the layout, the photos, the illustrations, the page count, publishing costs etc etc. And then there is the issue of funding the project, what has to be paid out before a single book is printed or sold.

Having peeped beneath the self-publishing surface, I can easily see how the SP1200 book ran into 'publishing issues', issues I would hope to avoid if taking this project on. If they sold that book through Amazon, they'd be lucky to break even, probably made a loss on the project if you ask me.

I noticed that Bboytechreport have an interview with Roger Linn coming soon, talking about the MPC60/ 3000 in interviews must seem like 'Groundhog Day' to him. Nobody really seems to be interested in the DSI Tempest from what I can see...would be nice if he supplied some exclusive material though, if there is any left!
By SimonInAustralia Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:12 pm
"Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online"

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0629116034

Description

High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles The Akai MPC60 was an electronic musical instrument produced in 1988, by the Japanese company Akai in collaboration with celebrated designer Roger Linn. It combined MIDI sequencing and audio sampling with a set of velocity/aftertouch-sensitive performance pads, to produce an instrument optimized for use as a drum machine. The MPC60 enjoyed great popularity, particularly among musicians producing Hip Hop and similar styles. *Author: Miller, Frederic P./ Vandome, Agnes F./ McBrewster, John *Binding Type: Paperback *Number of Pages: 80 *Publication Date: 2010/07/01 *Language: English *Dimensions: 6.00 x 9.00 x 0.19 inches

SKU: UBM9786131645631

"Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online"

EDIT: Yes, pretty low life, selling Wikipedia articles for $55. Thought it was an amusing coincidence when I came across it in a search, considering the discussion here.
Last edited by SimonInAustralia on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By fobedafied Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:56 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350629116034

Description

High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles The Akai MPC60 was an electronic musical instrument produced in 1988, by the Japanese company Akai in collaboration with celebrated designer Roger Linn. It combined MIDI sequencing and audio sampling with a set of velocity/aftertouch-sensitive performance pads, to produce an instrument optimized for use as a drum machine. The MPC60 enjoyed great popularity, particularly among musicians producing Hip Hop and similar styles. *Author: Miller, Frederic P./ Vandome, Agnes F./ McBrewster, John *Binding Type: Paperback *Number of Pages: 80 *Publication Date: 2010/07/01 *Language: English *Dimensions: 6.00 x 9.00 x 0.19 inches

SKU: UBM9786131645631

seems a bit steep for "WIKIPEDIA articles"... :? :hmmm:
By Clint Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:17 pm
@SimonInAustralia

I've seen that once or twice during Internet searches, but I don't think it is a serious enthusiasts publication of the type we're discussing here. The fact there is an oil refinery on the cover, there are no available reviews and the book is 'Print-on-demand' leaves much to the imagination. Add to that the fact there is no original content and the legitimacy of the authors/ editors is highly questionable.

High quality content Wikipedia articles, no thanks...