Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By daftmunk Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:00 pm
i hope i didn't sound like i was doubting you clint, i just wasn't sure if you knew what you were up against... the sp book guys seem to have some real difficulties at the moment (their site is down and facebook page deleted) but i do agree that the MPC community is far and beyond superior, not to mention akai is still up and running.. i doubt they'd be interested in funding a project about the 60/3000 but who knows it just might be worth the shot, as we found out recently andy mac seems to be an akai OG!
By m56p87 Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:54 pm
Clint,
No one said you shouldn't do research (uh duh dude). I was just saying if your not gonna bring any new info to the table you deserve to be beaten out by a better book later. But I have no doubt you would make a sick book, and be very thourough. I just think if your gonna make a "holy grail" MPC60 book, it should be just that. I think we can agree that a mix of the two (old and new) would be ideal.

Good luck, hope to have the book on my shelf someday.
By Clint Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:39 pm
m56p87 wrote:Clint...if your not gonna bring any new info to the table you deserve to be beaten

Is this what you mean?

I'd better get digging then lol...
By mr_debauch Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:41 pm
yeah I tried google searching for the sp1200 book, and I was surprised that the website didn't work.... not good sounding. It looks like they canned that project when you see stuff like that, plus it looked like a great project...... I guess the key is to get it done but not the way they attempted to do it.
By Clint Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:04 pm
I think they did three print runs and that was it, game over. There was never intended to be an endless supply, maybe 1000 copies got put out altogether. Scarcity adds to the value, much like the SP1200 itself. But they are out there, MPC-Tutor linked me to a copy for sale a few days ago. A bit too pricey for me at double the original price.

A lot of work went into that project, the authors should be congratulated for their efforts.

Any more suggestions or ideas of what you'd like to see in a MPC60 (MPC3000?) book????
By mr_debauch Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:29 pm
is it marion systems or something like that who made some of the expansions? I wonder if there would be any benefit to getting in touch with some of those guys... interesting business model for akai to have a 3rd party company do the expansions...

Also, maybe some mention or talk with some of the other guys who more recently have been building things like the scsi port (Am I right about this, I saw a thread but didn't thoroughly go through it.)

another thing that can be talked about is the ram piggy back hack... I remember seeing some pics years ago floating around here and was pretty impressed with the fact that people had the guts to even attempt that! hahaha.. It seems like at some point it was popular to do that mod.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:55 am
TBH, if money is an issue, I'm more than happy to set a donation mechanism up here at the forums or via Kickstarter. For example only:

Minimum donation to get a copy of the first run: $xx
Anyone donating at least $100: signed author copy

Then:

Donate $10,000 - spend the day with Roger Linn & Andy Mac :)
Donate $1000 - get a Roger Linn signed copy, a profile about you in the book
Donate $250 - author signed copy of the book from limited first run, plus a smaller profile

etc etc.
By Clint Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:24 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Donate $10,000 - spend the day with Roger Linn & Andy Mac

There's probably somebody out there who would really enjoy that lol...
By daftmunk Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 pm
i guess not then lol.. akai could still be interested although it's a stretch but afterall MPC 60 & 3000 do appear on the face of their latest product and are therefore relevant to them..so it may be worth contacting them although an official endorsement could also have it's constraints..

clint246clint wrote:I think they did three print runs and that was it, game over. There was never intended to be an endless supply, maybe 1000 copies got put out altogether. Scarcity adds to the value, much like the SP1200 itself.

they've definitely run into some problems, there was supposed to be a new deluxe print out in september as well as a digital ipad version. the author wrote me earlier today he has no clue what's going on as the publisher is apparently solely in charge of the reprints or lack thereof..
By Clint Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:31 pm
daftmunk wrote:an official endorsement could also have it's constraints..

Can't be officially endorsed as Akai Professional M.I. no longer exists. The original development team members are still alive (just about) so that's the best alternative to providing some credibility to the project IMHO.
By daftmunk Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 pm
clint246clint wrote:
daftmunk wrote:an official endorsement could also have it's constraints..

Can't be officially endorsed as Akai Professional M.I. no longer exists. The original development team members are still alive (just about) so that's the best alternative to providing some credibility to the project IMHO.

Nukai obviously now own the rights to MPC, and have clearly taken many cues from the 60/3000 in Renaissance and the 2000XL in Fly. of course approaching the original development team would be ideal but i was thinking more of Akai as a possible funding source/facilitator, although i'm not sure what Roger Linn's feelings are towards Akai at the moment (we all know they parted on bad terms but as you pointed out it isn't the same company/people involved today)