Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By KkonEl Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:52 pm
I finally carried it in to the local electronics shop, Audio Visions. I told him the problem and he said he could take care of it-he actually finished my sentence for me. But not before he saw me coming in and did a sumo clap and yelled "AKAAAAAIIIIIII!" as I was walking in the door. That part was worth the deposit alone even if he never looked at it.
By KkonEl Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:49 pm
LOL yes, old Asian guy. He's the best around here, specializes in vintage equipment of all sorts. His shop is like a Shangri-La of music equipment. He had the back off an Hammond B-3 and had a suitcase Rhodes waiting to be picked up.
By KkonEl Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:56 pm
Will do. He told me it'd be two weeks or less and I could pick it up. He said there was a short in the power supply and he could see it when I took the top off. The part had to be ordered and he'd get on it.
By KkonEl Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 pm
Sorry for the long wait, I haven't been able to go pick up the unit due to working late. But when I asked him about it, he told me that the capacitor in the power supply was blown.
Basically when the fuses kept blowing he told me that the machine was still powering on and the backlight was still working because the PS was pulling all of the juice there and there was no way of channeling the power properly. I've never seen the capacitor go before the entire power supply, so I didn't know which way to go with it. I've only seen dead power supply issues where the MPC wouldn't power on at all.
Fixed it for a little less than $15o, which is over a third less than I expected to pay.
By Clint Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:34 pm
Vintage gear, just like our wifeys, need a little service now and again to keep 'em happy...
By KkonEl Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:04 am
Yessir, you gotta keep 'em happy lol. I will say 13 years with the same PS is a good lick, so I'm not in the least bit upset.
By Everson Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:23 pm
where did you buy the 125v fuse? can pass me the link of the site I live in Brazil and want to import to change the ones of mine that burned. provided they are originating