Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Clint Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:57 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:Are the the .SND files going to be in the MPC60s 12-bit/40KHz format, and the .PGM files going to be in MPC60 program format, on either the 2000XL CD or 4000 HD versions of the files?

On my MPC4000 HD the original MPC60 standard disks - those that came with the machine (Studio, Rock, Dry and Synth) and the sound library disks SL601-630 are present. Same applies to the MPC2000XL and MPC3000 standard disks and sound libraries.

All MPC60 and MPC3000 .SND files have been converted or resampled into regular 16-bit .WAV files and the MPC60 .SET files are in Akai .PGM format. A few other Akai Sampler libraries are also on there for good measure (S3000XL with EB16, Akai S5-6K Vol 1-6 etc).
By Ottomatic Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 pm
@clint246clint
On my MPC4000 HD the original MPC60 standard disks - those that came with the machine (Studio, Rock, Dry and Synth) and the sound library disks SL601-630 are present.

Any chance you could upload the 4 that I'm missing? Preferably SL627, SL629, and SL630. I could resample them and make 12bit SET and PGM files out of them and put them up with the rest of my links.

A few other Akai Sampler libraries are also on there for good measure (S3000XL with EB16, Akai S5-6K Vol 1-6 etc).

I know these libraries are probably comprised of larger files, hence more difficult to upload. Any chance you upload those at some point as well?
By Clint Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:12 am
Ottomatic wrote:Any chance you could upload the 4 that I'm missing? Preferably SL627, SL629, and SL630. I could resample them and make 12bit SET and PGM files out of them and put them up with the rest of my links.

I believe mr_debauch already posted the link on the previous page of this thread. Its "MPC Vol 1", the disc that came with the MPC2000XL. It has the MPC60, MPC3000 and MPC2000XL standard disks and drum libraries on it.

As for the other stuff, thats floating around in the MPC4000 forum with some other bits (Z8/4/MPC4000 demo) that were on the HD. I know some of my Akai files got deleted somewhere along the way so there a few missing volumes that were just taking up space. At least the MPC60/3000 stuff is covered for anyone who wants it.
By Ottomatic Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:38 am
I believe mr_debauch already posted the link on the previous page of this thread. Its "MPC Vol 1", the disc that came with the MPC2000XL. It has the MPC60, MPC3000 and MPC2000XL standard disks and drum libraries on it.

Thanks for the info. Up until now I hadn't checked out what was on that ISO. It turns out the 4 kits I'm missing were on it.

I will try to convert the missing kits into 12bit SET files sometime in the next week and into 3.10 PGMs with seperate SND files as well.
By mr_debauch Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:05 am
hey I know it's not an exact clone of the floppy... but I suppose it's better than nothing for the time being.... on the other hand, you also now have an ISO of the sample disk that came with the 2000xl!
By Clint Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 pm
mr_debauch wrote:you also now have an ISO of the sample disk that came with the 2000xl!

MPC2000XL and MPC3000 demo sequences are also on that disk, the MPC60 demo sequences are nowhere to be seen. I believe these were on the original floppies along with a bank of drums and a bank of bass.
By Clint Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:23 pm
clint246clint wrote:
Ottomatic wrote:Any chance you could upload the 4 that I'm missing? Preferably SL627, SL629, and SL630. I could resample them and make 12bit SET and PGM files out of them and put them up with the rest of my links.

By mr_debauch Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:09 am
^ yes that is the exact disk.. I can't believe the prices people were trying to charge on ebay for that damn cd...

anyhow, I thought this thread got zapped...
By Jeff_HxC2001 Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 am
Ottomatic wrote:I made disk images of nearly the entire MPC60 sound library for anybody who's interested. I am missing Akai Disk 2 Rock Set, SL627 Natural & Vox Set, SL629 New Funk, and SL630 Brushes.

Hi,

Have you tried to restore some of these images to a real floppy disk and tried it into the MPC ?

I ask this because it seems that there are a problem : MPC60 use a 800KB disk format, and these images should have this size according to the boot sector (80 tracks 2 side 10 sectors per tracks = 800KB). But your files have a size of ~720KB... Look likes something is missing...

You should try to read one of these floppy disk with omniflop if you can.
By Ottomatic Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:41 pm
Have you tried to restore some of these images to a real floppy disk and tried it into the MPC ?

I just tried a few of the images out by putting them onto a real disk and the majority I tried worked (Dance&Vox wouldn't work) but I noticed some of the longer samples had distortion in them. I have a usb floppy drive so onniflop won't work for me. I use a program called Floppy Image. I'm not sure if the image itself is the issue or if something went wrong when transferring the image to the disk.

I probably should have tested each image individually before posting them up. Sorry about that.
By Jeff_HxC2001 Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 pm
Ottomatic wrote:

I just tried a few of the images out by putting them onto a real disk and the majority I tried worked (Dance&Vox wouldn't work) but I noticed some of the longer samples had distortion in them. I have a usb floppy drive so onniflop won't work for me. I use a program called Floppy Image. I'm not sure if the image itself is the issue or if something went wrong when transferring the image to the disk.

I probably should have tested each image individually before posting them up. Sorry about that.

mhh ok so there is missing a sector at each floppy track.
I don't think that an USB floppy disk drive is able to read it...
You will have to find an old PC to make the floppy dumps with omniflop, ImageDisk or another tool.