Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Shuttered_Joe Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:27 pm
Hi
I'm planning to buy a mpc3000 from America, but they are intended for 120 V so I what can I do so the PSU works here in Europe? Is it possible to just change the current transformer wiring or do I need to change the whole transformer? What transformer would you suggest?

All the best
Joe
Last edited by Clint on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: clarity in title
By Elias Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 pm
I would advise against a transformer mod. If it is even possible :P I don't know. If so, it would be much more expensive and complicated I think.
You could just use a step down converter. They aren't that expensive and it works fine.
By Acid Mitch Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:04 am
Elias wrote:I would advise against a transformer mod. If it is even possible :P I don't know.

Of course it's possible.
I had my MPC60 changed from 110v to 240v.
That way I don't have to bother with a converter and I also had the power socket changed so I can use a standard kettle lead.

Not sure if you can just change the wiring. I had a whole new transformer put in mine.
And I didn't do it myself, so I'm unsure of part numbers ,etc.
By tsetse Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:47 am
My 110V MPC3000 works fine with a 20€ converter from ebay.
By Elias Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:32 pm
Acid Mitch wrote:
Elias wrote:I would advise against a transformer mod. If it is even possible :P I don't know.

Of course it's possible.
I had my MPC60 changed from 110v to 240v.
That way I don't have to bother with a converter and I also had the power socket changed so I can use a standard kettle lead.

Not sure if you can just change the wiring. I had a whole new transformer put in mine.
And I didn't do it myself, so I'm unsure of part numbers ,etc.

Hmm okay, didn't know that. But I think it would be much more difficult to find the needed parts and expensive than to just buy a step down converter.
If mobility is very important to you, than I would consider making this mod, because those converters can be "huge" and "heavy". But if you're just rocking your mpc in the studio, a converter does the job just fine.
I'm happy with my converter, no problems whatsoever.
By Acid Mitch Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:32 pm
Elias wrote:
Hmm okay, didn't know that. But I think it would be much more difficult to find the .

The parts are easy to get hold of and cheaper than the $20 converter mentioned by tsetse.

My MPC is at a friends house so I can't check.
I'll post what was changed to what when I get it back.
By 3K. Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:15 pm
Planning to switch my transformer as well, as my japanese model is 110V too. Apart from putting in a bi-voltage transformer (to get 5V and 12V at the same time), you need to change the fuses accordingly:
F1 = T1A 250V
F2 = T3.15A 250V
F3 = T800mA 250V
F4 = T800mA 250V

What I'm still unsure of is the issue with connecting the transformer on the Power PCB:
Mains transformers marked [J][C][A] connect to socket P853 (that's what I have here)
Mains transformers marked [E][V][B][S] connect to socket P854 (as it should be, according to the service manual)
Is it really necessary to relocate to P854 (where there is no connector, just the holes)?
By *Pilchard* Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:33 am
My MPC60 has been modified to 240v.
The main advantage is not having to worry about someone plugging it straight into the main socket and doing some damage although if your machine has the captive mains cord this should not really be a problem.
Cheap voltage convertors always have the possibility of producing noise in your audio so, I'd always want to eliminate them if possible.
By 3K. Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:30 am
Pilchard, could you please share the technical details of the conversion? If you don't know them, a well lit and sharp image of the internal transformer (type and part no.) and its wiring where it's connected to the power printed circuit board would help.
By SimonInAustralia Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:44 pm
3K. wrote:Planning to switch my transformer as well, as my japanese model is 110V too. Apart from putting in a bi-voltage transformer (to get 5V and 12V at the same time), you need to change the fuses accordingly:
F1 = T1A 250V
F2 = T3.15A 250V
F3 = T800mA 250V
F4 = T800mA 250V

What I'm still unsure of is the issue with connecting the transformer on the Power PCB:
Mains transformers marked [J][C][A] connect to socket P853 (that's what I have here)
Mains transformers marked [E][V][B][S] connect to socket P854 (as it should be, according to the service manual)
Is it really necessary to relocate to P854 (where there is no connector, just the holes)?

Not sure why they use a different connector on the Power PCB for [B][S] regions, they schematics show both connectors as being connected to the same locations, just a different pinout.

It is actually only [B][S] that use P854, [J][C][A] and [E][V] all use P853.
By jimmie Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:58 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:Not sure why they use a different connector on the Power PCB for [B][S] regions, they schematics show both connectors as being connected to the same locations, just a different pinout.

It is actually only [B][S] that use P854, [J][C][A] and [E][V] all use P853.

P853 & P854 take different wires from the transformer for different region voltages.
UK and Australia ([B][S]) is wired for 230-240 Volts and Europe ([E][V]) is wired for 220-230 Volts.
So, if you get a European MPC 3000, you can switch to UK 230-240V operation pretty easily.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:22 am
jimmie wrote:P853 & P854 take different wires from the transformer for different region voltages.
UK and Australia ([B][S]) is wired for 230-240 Volts and Europe ([E][V]) is wired for 220-230 Volts.
So, if you get a European MPC 3000, you can switch to UK 230-240V operation pretty easily.

I thought there was a voltage selector switch on the rear panel, and that EVBS were all the same model?

Does an EVBS model have both P853 and P854 wired up and connected at the same time?

Will have to check when I get home.
By jimmie Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:29 am
No selector switch on the BS or EV models of the MPC 3000's that I've had.

You connect the molex coming from the transformer to either P853 or P854.
P853 uses wire 3 from the transformer and P854 uses wire 5.

The transformer used for EV & BS is the same though and it is labelled EVBS. At least, in the two that I've had.
My current MPC3000 is labelled 230-240V [B][S] on the back and another that I had said 220-230V [E][V].
By SimonInAustralia Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:37 am
Sounds right, I might be thinking of the MPC60 being EVBS, not sure, will check what the LE says when I get home.

That explains the two different connectors though, thanks.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:24 pm
Mine is labelled EV, instead of BS, and uses P853, from a transformer marker EVBS, as you said.

So I could swap pins on the connector coming from the transformer to the Power PCB, to set it to run at the correct voltage.

Or mains voltage is specified as being 230VAC, but used to be, or still is, referred to as 240VAC. I wonder if it matters then, maybe I should test the actual voltage coming out of the wall socket.