Share your knowledge on these two classic MPCs
By Clint Thu May 15, 2014 9:53 pm
I havent seen the BakMonolith mentioned in this forum yet...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171327

Before you ask, what you see consists of two separate products BAKMONOLITH and POWERMONSTER, available individually (from Stratos via ebay) or as a set (from mpcstuff.com).

1. No, it isn't hot-swap.
2. Yes, it is powered by the SCSI port, you don't need ext. power supply.
3. Yes, you can buy at mpcstuff.com or direct from the maker on ebay.
4. MPC2000? Yes. MPC3000? Yes. MPC60? I don't know, yet.
5. Does it look ugly? Subjective.
6. Value for money? Absolutely.
By eno deggur Fri May 16, 2014 2:45 am
@ Clint: I seen it on MPC Hunter and Ebay. Looks intriguing plus a good alternative if you do not want to use floppy or zip drive. Already have CF reader on my 3000 and best investment especially saving samples that are large and beats. Hope you and some one else can shed some more light on CF reader who is using it.
By Clint Fri May 16, 2014 10:57 am
Hopefully it will evolve in an enclosed design. Having exposed circuits is less than ideal.

Say goodbye to expensive internal mods, if you can live with the bakmonolith!
By eno deggur Sat May 17, 2014 3:08 am
Clint wrote:Hopefully it will evolve in an enclosed design. Having exposed circuits is less than ideal.

Say goodbye to expensive internal mods, if you can live with the bakmonolith!

Yeah that is true it does and no harm on electric shocks when saving or loading. Yes kids will bypass internal for external route.
By Acid Mitch Sat May 17, 2014 7:19 am
Would be nice on a little extension cable, so it can sit on a desktop and not be sticking out the back like that.
Anyone know if it can be used in a chain with other drives ?
By jimmie Sat May 17, 2014 3:03 pm
For the same money u could just buy an Acard 7720u and a £3 CF reader from eBay and fit it as a non-hotswap internal.
Then you will also have the option of buying a Delock CF reader at a later date for fitting in the floppy slot for hotswap usage.

It'd be good if Artmix made a hotswappable Aztecmonster that was in a floppy drive sized enclosure.
By Clint Sat May 17, 2014 10:53 pm
Acid Mitch wrote:Would be nice on a little extension cable, so it can sit on a desktop and not be sticking out the back like that.

Appears to be a standard screw-type DB25 SCSI connector.

So lot's of things *could* be possible in theory.
By Clint Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 pm
Some useful info...

SimonInAustralia wrote:
The Stratos Technology website...
http://www.stratos-technology.com/cgi/S ... TileViewer

The AztecMonster part is not what the MPC-SCSI interface is called, that is the product name of a SCSI-CF reader that Stratos Technology makes, and which his own MPC-SCSI clone is designed to interface with/connect to, to provide an internal MPC CF reader.

The Stratos Technology MPC-SCSI interface uses internal 50 pin ribbon connectors, rather than 26 pin ribbon connectors like on the original, which makes interfacing with internal SCSI devices a lot easier, doing away with the multiple SCSI adapters normally required to convert the 26 pin connector to a 50 pin ribbon cable.

And the Artmix Website (Currently Japanese only)

http://www.artmix.com/j_home.html
By Clint Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:09 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:Some interesting new stuff and things from Stratos Technology, that might be good for MPC60/3000 storage...

Product Name : CF Raizin Monster HOT SWAP corresponding CF-SCSI conversion adapter
Price : 12,900 yen (converts to $127US)

Description

It is the adapter card by replacing MO, etc. ZIP drive so that it can be used as a SCSI device CF memory card.
• Removable function (HOT SWAP) possible *
• 3.5 inches FDD drive bay size
• Type I / II support
• SCSI I / II / III support
• Mac, Win, Linux bootable

* You must have a removable function OS.

AKAI MPC series, such as the E-MU sampler, please use the CF cards to 32GB.

Product Name : SATA-SCSI adapter conversion HOT SWAP support DinoMonster
Price : 15,900 yen (converts to $157US)

Description

It is the adapter card by replacing MO, etc. ZIP drive so that it can be used as a SCSI device SSD.
• Removable function (HOT SWAP) possible *
• 3.5 inches FDD drive bay size
• SATA II compliant (up to 2TB)
• SCSI I / II / III support
• Mac **, Win, Linux bootable

* You must have a removable function OS.
** If you want to boot from HFS + formatted with a Macintosh, you need volume size is 180GB or less.

AKAI MPC series, such as the E-MU sampler, please use the following 64GB SSD.

Product Name : MPC3000 built-in SCSI adapter conversion
Price : 4,800 yen (converts to $47US)

Description

• This is the kit for you to convert to 50-pin SCSI generic internal 26-pin SCSI of AKAI MPC3000, want to be able to built-in CF RaizinMonster, DinoMonster, ZIP drives, Syquest.
• Soldering required. Installation is simple.
• Without sacrificing the external SCSI connector, I can accept.
• Instruction manual, SCSI cable, FDD-> HDD conversion power cable included.

SimonInAustralia wrote:I use his AztecMonster II SATA-SCSI bridge in an MPC3000, and have tested it and an AztecMonster SCSI-CF reader in an MPC60.
By jimmie Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:35 am
Damn!!
Finally!!

Been waiting years for him to make hotswap and a floppy bay fitting.
I'm tricked-out already now so he's too late for me, but these are game-changers for those that need em :nod: